• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Any interest in adapters for 14mm boards in P60 pills?

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
hi all!

I have been trying to make full power P60 2xAA modules for sometime....

my experiments with DX style boards have led me nowhere, so the next step is the Sandwich shoppe .55"/14mm drivers.....

But all the P60 modules take a 17mm drivers so an adaptor must be made inorder to accomodate the smaller diam boards...

So I am asking....
Are you interest in buying them? How many?
Is there anyone that can undertake the project?

I would try it myself cos I have a design made but I do not think I can find someone locally to make them (much more in a reasonable price too)

So what do you think?
TNX, Kostas

Kestrel

Flashaholic
I've been interested in purchasing a good XP-G P60 drop-in for 2xAA usage (being able to take a maximum of a 3.7v LiIon) for a while now. It looks like the best candidates presently are the Dereelight Javelin XP-G low-voltage P60 (~250 measured OTF lumens on 2xAA) and possibly the Nailbender - he does a low-voltage P60 configuration that supposedly works quite well.

Personally, I'm not sure I'd want to go $35-$40 for either of those units - that gets me close to the price point of the Malkoff line of drop-ins. Therefore, I had pretty much decided to wait to see if Gene Malkoff will be coming up with something - I'm very confident as to the reliability and efficiency of most anything he puts out.

If a less-expensive module (US $30 shipped?) can be assembled with a quality driver, I'd be in for purchasing one, as long as it would be efficient and reliable.

I know almost nothing about the Shoppe's drivers, but I do have a good low-voltage boost driver from them (BB NG 1000) in a P4 LED tower (running 2x C NiMH), and it seems like a very good unit. The only thing I'd change now would be an XP-G instead of the P4. :)

Last edited:

Justin Case

Flashlight Enthusiast
A BBNG1000 will cost about $17 after shipping, which is probably about 2X the cost of the cheap Chinese P60 drop-in itself.

However, a benefit of having a 14mm adapter for P60 pills is that you can also use other Shoppe drivers -- boost, boost-buck, and buck. Thus, you could, for example, use an SOB1500 to run an XP-G at full power with a high-quality buck driver. You could use the GD1000 for a 1xLi-ion configuration without having to resort to the AMC7135 approach.

I've not measured the depth of the driver cavity in a typical P60 pill. But if it can fit two Shoppe drivers stacked in a parallel sandwich, then you can also build a 2xSOB1400 and drive an MC-E P60 drop-in (for example) at full power.

I suppose I would buy some adapters, assuming that they are inexpensive.

Actually, you might also consider designing a complete replacement pill with the appropriate driver cavity size to fit a two-board 14mm driver sandwich.

kosPap

Flashlight Enthusiast
kestrel...indeed this is the driver I had in mind...

Justin...good though on the new pill but too dificult...In my area the worst par tis pesuading a machinist froiend to devote time on a precision project like this....NO WAY you can make a new pill economically....

A sleeve is a better option...split sideays to cater for the tolerances and 2 reliefs allow for the wires to come through....

hell if I could dremel the driver step accurately I would already have done it out of two copper tube sleeves...

BTW...I understand that one SS driver can fit in height (it is 3mm and I have found pill in eccess of 7mm high internally)....but do you have any idea how wide and deep the step that the drivers sit on must be?

eyeballing it