MagLite XL100 Review & new website launched

carrot

Flashaholic
I am proud to announce the official launch of my new website, Gearcarrot.com, which will include product reviews, features on various kinds of gear, and will be the new home of my Guide to High End Flashlights when the new version is released.

Please view the full review with photographs here on Gearcarrot.com.

An abridged version is posted here for your convenience and for the CPF community.

DSC01400-300x225.jpg

The MagLite XL100 is MagLite's newest entry into LED flashlights, and is certainly an impressive one. Wider but shorter than a regular Mini MagLite, the MagLite XL100 boasts an impressive 83 lumens as measured per the new ANSI FL1 standard. Runtime is listed at 5 hours, 15 minutes on high, but it is reasonable to assume that the light output will be significantly dimmer as the batteries are run down.

MagLite is one of the largest manufacturers of flashlights so the retail release of the XL100 is big news. For a long time, MagLite has sat on the side lines watching other smaller, newer manufacturers eat their lunch, and with the XL100 they hope to regain some of that lost market.

The XL100 is typical of MagLite build quality, with rubber gaskets for water resistance and made out of aluminum. The coating is type 2 anodize, which looks nice when new but will not last long in daily usage. The lens and reflector assembly are plastic, just like every other MagLite. My only concern with a plastic lens is that plastic is easily scratched and on the XL100 is not user-replaceable. The red tailcap button is some kind of silicone rubber and seems like it will last a long time. It offers good tactile feedback.

It feels pretty much exactly like a giant MagLite Solitaire and seems like it could handle the daily rigors of abuse that tools generally see. However, it seems flimsy compared to many of its competitors, which you could argue are overbuilt, as the competition have thicker walls and seem far tougher.

The XL100 can be focused by twisting the bezel, but any focus setting aside from the default with the bezel screwed all the way down is ugly with artifacts and rings. Additionally, there is a good bit of thread play on the bezel when it is not screwed down all the way but probably nothing to be concerned about as far as functionality or robustness. The smooth deep reflector used by MagLite, is, as usual, king of the throw, out throwing nearly all the flashlights I own that are similarly sized. In its price and size range there is nothing that can throw better.

The XL100 uses a special battery carrier designed by MagLite to take 3 AAA batteries, and is far more robust than you see in cheaply designed overseas counterparts.

The big feature of the MagLite XL100 is that it offers five different modes and uses an accelerometer, much like those used in the Nintendo Wii remotes, to select them. This is an interesting user interface (UI) innovation that is exclusive to MagLite and has a bit of a learning curve.

To simply use the flashlight, just press the red button tailcap and the XL100 will light up. To turn it off, press the red button again. However, if you wish to access the five special modes available, a reasonably simple process is required

The five special modes available to the user are laser etched into the tailcap around the large red power button. To select one of the five modes, the user must hold the XL100 parallel to the ground, with the mode that they wish to select facing up. The red button needs to be pressed and held for 2 seconds, and then the desired mode will be selected. Note that the XL100 needs to be turned off first before selecting any of the five special modes.

Additionally, if the user presses and holds the button while simultaneously rotating the flashlight, variants of those modes are selected.

So, the UI of the XL100 seems pretty clever. But how does the XL100 stand up to daily usage? Unfortunately, not so well. The XL100 works perfectly as a flashlight, in fact it offers better throw and comparable output in a nice compact package than other flashlights in its price range (Inova X2, Icon Rogue 2, 4sevens Quark MiNi 123) but the accelerometer-based user interface is rather annoying.

Many times when attempting to dim the light, I accidentally activated strobe and SOS, which are to the right and left of the dim function, respectively. The rubber button has a small protrusion on it to help the user know which way "up" is for the dim function, but I found myself often slightly off to the right or left of it, triggering an alternate function instead. The user must also wait for a moment after holding down the button before rotating the flashlight, or else the light will select a different mode as well. Also, there is no way to dim the light when it is already turned on, creating an additional step for users.

All of my concerns with the UI could be addressed with a simple firmware update, which would allow the user to press and hold the button with the XL100 already activated in any orientation and simply rotate to dim. This would be both intuitive and remove the problem of inadvertently activating other modes.

Overall, MagLite deserves much praise praise for taking a gamble on making a very cleverly conceived flashlight with many features, and one that is fairly competitive in the market to others in its price range ($40). However, they deserve loads of criticism for a poorly implemented user interface that could have been just as easily fixed with a few hours of focus group testing.

Cautiously recommended. A good flashlight that may be frustrating at times to use.

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for a nice review.

I would add also the not-so-clever use of 3 x AAA's & the issue of not being able to view the tailcap options in pitch darkness.

If they did the firmware upgrade as you suggested, used some tritiums or glow powder in the tailcap & upgraded the lens to glass & the reflector to alloy, you might have a light you could recommend to everybody.

James.....:)

carrot

Flashaholic
Thanks Jimmy.

I'm not convinced the use of 3xAAA is a serious downside, although we are used to using AA batteries, the use of 3xAAA provides the MagLite with significantly higher voltage than a single AA and shorter than 2xAA in a very appealing form factor. The use of 3xAAA is also extremely prevalent in headlamps, which is surprising although all things considered, not unreasonable.

YAK-28

Enlightened
I liked your review of the xl100. I just picked one last week and still trying to play with it. Things seemed to work a little easier after reading your review.

Your site was easy to get through. I'm looking forward to reading more from there.

yak-28

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
That accelerometer mode selection sounds kinda clunky and like something you will just have to worry about breaking eventually.

carrot

Flashaholic
That accelerometer mode selection sounds kinda clunky and like something you will just have to worry about breaking eventually.
Actually I do not think there will be a problem with the accelerometer breaking. It is solid state, as on the Wii-motes, iPhone and several high-end laptops.

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice review,I appreciate your remarks on the actual use of the UI.I'm not that crazy about the three AAA format either but it probably is the best choice for mass market appeal in a small light.I plan on getting one so I can try the UI out myself, even though I'm sure it won't be replacing my CR123 based lights.It will be interesting to see how this light fares with the general public being a widely recognized brand available at many B&M stores. :popcorn:

mikekoz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I caved and bought one of these over the weekend. This light is one of a kind, and may take some getting used to. If this was made in a 2AA format, it would be my fav current light. I do not understand the need for making lights with a plastic carrier just to please the general public. The general public probably uses AA cells more than AAA to begin with. As it is, I suspect that this light will give poor runtimes on high. I am using rechargeable AAA's, but they are only 800mah. Has anybody tested the runtime yet? I got mine from Target, so I have some time to decide to keep it or not.

The 8th Man

Newly Enlightened
I picked one up from brightguy and I must say I am impressed with the UI, while it is a bit hard to get use to it is also very cool, as was stated above it really is a one of a kind UI. I hope better things are on the way based on the same type of setup.

"This is not your grandfathers Maglite it's a whole generation ahead"

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good review :thumbsup:, just not my taste, especially coming from Maglite I would expect a little more

Im not buying one, i hate 3 AAA cell formats.

Im not convinced with the plastic lense either, once its broken its broken, end of.

Also the standard ano :(

And the fiddly interface by the sounds of things, I looks like fun but in real world use I think I would end up throwing at the hardest object closest to me.

It would make a great gift to a flashaholic or gadgety kinda person, like me, but not something I would buy over another competitor

carrot

Flashaholic
It is pretty hard to break a plastic lens. Even in that case, you can be assured Maglite will replace it (even if it means the whole bezel). Anything you can say about Maglite quality or resistance to innovation, you still have to hand it to them that their customer service is good.

We're spoiled by Type III, HA. Type II is quite acceptable and the lights that I own that have them (ICON Rogue, 6P, older Maglites) have some wear but not terrible.

As for the interface, I agree 100%, it is fun but it could be better.

As for a gift, I'd be pretty damn well pleased to see one of these in a stocking or under the tree. It's a good light. Just not perfect.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its more the scratching of a plastic lense.

Suppose your right about CS, im sure they would try very hard to look after their customers.

carrot

Flashaholic
Of course I got so distracted I forgot to mention my main concern about plastic lenses, which is that they are easier to scratch than your behind.

Csp203

Newly Enlightened
So, the UI of the XL100 seems pretty clever. But how does the XL100 stand up to daily usage? Unfortunately, not so well. The XL100 works perfectly as a flashlight, in fact it offers better throw and comparable output in a nice compact package than other flashlights in its price range (Inova X2, Icon Rogue 2, 4sevens Quark MiNi 123) but the accelerometer-based user interface is rather annoying

Did you mean Quark MiNi AA???

(love the review)

carrot

Flashaholic
No, I don't think it is fair to compare 3.0v flashlights to a 1.5v flashlight. The Maglite is 4.5v but there's very little on the market that is around that.

PhotogItems

Newly Enlightened
[long quote removed - DM51]
Thanks for the great review I must admit [extract deleted - DM51] I appreciate any time someone gives a true and accurate review of anything on the market today [Remainder of post deleted - Rule 6 violation]

Last edited by a moderator:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
"This is not your grandfathers Maglite it's a whole generation ahead"

And this is what worry's me or rather should worry Maglite. Sure us flashaholics can get use to the UI (maybe) but can the average retail shopper who stumbles upon it. If I see things correctly I see the average Maglite user appreciating the easy use of the older models and this seems quite the opposite. So my questions is do you think we will see C and D size Mag's with this UI or will they eventually scrap it for something else.

Latest posts