JetBeam RRT-2, sqeaky focus ring?

AlienRFX

Newly Enlightened
I just got a RRT-2 from BOG (fast and efficient service btw:twothumbs) and love the light so far, except that the focus ring squeaks while turning. Unfortunately it seems as if there is no way to get some lube on the threads of that part of the light.

I read the other threads that detail how the head is assembled and I really don't want to try and force the focus ring off of the head, as I'm not sure if it is possible to snap the lockring back into place once I do that.

So a few questions for RRT-2 owners, is it normal for the head to squeak while turning the focus ring? if so does this squeak dissapear after a breakin period? or is it possible to dissasemble the head to lube the threads, and then reassemble it properly.

Perhaps BOG/Flavio can provide some illumination to answer these questions?:candle:

Steve'O

Newly Enlightened
No, it should not squeak, it is because of a lack of lube and poor quality control.
It's a crap design by jetbeam if you ask me that the user cannot service himself.
I have a rrt-1 that i think is a good light but i also think it is somewhat over priced bling too.

nekomane

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't notice much noise on mine.
The head is a pain to take apart, and I would not risk it for the rare need to adjust focus.

If it bothers you, you might try spraying a non corrosive lube?
Great light BTW :thumbsup:

AlienRFX

Newly Enlightened
WOOT!!!!!!!!!:grin2: Figured out how to get lube on those threads without disassembly!!!!. First unfocus the head all of the way, the coat the area next to the O-ring that is just peeking at you from the head with a rubber/plastic safe lite grease (I use Buzzy's Slick Honey- bike grease(designed for lubing suspension forks)) A silicon based grease would work well too.

Now if you are really carefull you can slip the corner of a business card between the O-ring and the headwall that the focus ring screws into. Slip the card in there and pack some more grease around it and work the focus ring/card back and forth a bit and a small bit of grease will work it's way down to the threads and quiet it up. I have one other idea involving a plastic squeeze pack of Dielectric grease that I may try If i feel the need.

Either way when in doubt get creative.:devil:

Steve'O

Newly Enlightened
Well, jetbeam certainly designed enough tollerance in those threads to get lots of grease in there, stand face down on a hard surface and hold head firmly then wiggle tail end and you will see what i mean. Plenty of headache there.

coolperl

Newly Enlightened
Well, jetbeam certainly designed enough tollerance in those threads to get lots of grease in there, stand face down on a hard surface and hold head firmly then wiggle tail end and you will see what i mean. Plenty of headache there.

+1
There's a lot of play in the focus threads. Unfortunatelly, the light achieves best focus somewhere between max. and min. position - this means wiggling head.