TacLite Beam Shot vs. E2E

Ray

Newly Enlightened
Hello, I'm a newbie here, and my collection of flashlights is quickly beginning to grow
grin.gif
. I received my TacLite last weekend, and I'm happy with my purchase. Next up, is the Surefire E2E. Can someone post beam shots of both lights, so I know what to expect from both lights. Thanks !!

Ray

Ray

Newly Enlightened
I managed to find a beam shot of the E2E (Not sure how to include it in my post),and it seem's to focus tighter than my Taclite. At it's tightest focus, my Taclight sort of resembles a clamshell , and is extremely bright. Anyone know if the E2E is brighter than the Taclite?

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
In August I was in the Catskill mountains with my E2. A friend had his Taclite and we shined them out into the trees a couple hundred feet or so away. The Tac was much brighter at that distance with a tighter focus.

Ray

Newly Enlightened
Mr Bulk
Thanks for the link...I do remember reading your post on the various 2x123 flashlights.

Tree
My Taclite is awesome
icon14.gif
... But I've just got to have an E2E
grin.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Welcome Ray,

The ASP Taclite is carried by relatively few Flashaholics. However, along with the TACM III, it is the brightest, longest throw 2x123 currently in production. It and the TACM III will significantly out throw any other 2x123 or even 3x123 lights. The power is actually comparable to a "mini turbo".

The following pertains only to the internal focus model, which has the unique "set and forget" focus option with built in mini shock absorber. The external focus model may in fact be equally capable but I have not used or tested it.

A few folks who have tried the ASP haven't been that impressed. This is inevitably the result of insufficient attention paid to very carefully focusing the "set and forget" internal focusing model. It may also reflect the use of the original cylindrical lamp as opposed to the newer "Triad" lamp which is capable of a tighter beam. IT IS IMPERATIVE THAT YOU TAKE PLENTY OF TIME TO CORRECTLY FOCUS THE TACLITE'S LAMP AS TIGHTLY AS POSSIBLE, AND PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THE NEWER, TEARDROP SHAPED LAMP. NOT THE OLDER CYLINDRICALLY SHAPED ONE. Do not expect a Surefire type beam. Do not judge the beam by shining it against the nearest wall, where "imperfections" will be visible. This is a powerful outdoor light which will reveal its abilities in its appropriate environment. Occasionally a particular lamp won't focus down as tightly as another lamp.

TRY THIS EXPERIMENT to demonstrate the power of the Taclite as opposed to any two or three cell Surefire or any other popular 2x123 light. (This could also apply to a large extent to the TACM III)

NOTE: I'll restate that it is imperative that the Taclite be properly focused (I am familiar only with the internal focus model). This may take some time and a bit of fussing, though once it's set it is automatically locked and will not fall out of focus unless you alter it. Also, I have noticed some slight variation from lamp to lamp, aside from the old/new lamp issue. Hopefully you will perform this test with an optimal one.

All comparison tests should be performed with identical brand/date FRESH batteries. Used batteries invalidate the test.

We have tested the TACLITE (also TACM III) against many lights, including: 6P, M2 (LOLA or HOLA) and/or 9P, M3 (LOLA or HOLA), Scorpion, and E2e.

URBAN TEST

Select a building across the street from where you are standing. Aim the Surefires, or any other similar lights, at the 12th-14th floors of the building. Closely observe the beam for brightness and clarity.

Repeat with Taclite. Observe the difference.

SUBURBAN/RURAL TEST:

Select a tall leafy tree. Move to a position approximately 30-50 feet away from the trunk and aim the Surefires at a spot about 120-140 feet high. Carefully observe the beam(s)

If there is no very tall tree or other tall structure at hand you may test by pacing off 130-150 feet from a low lying structure such as a barn or house and perform the test as described.

Repeat with Taclite. The result should be self-explanatory and quite conclusive.

Here is one of several threads that discuss the Taclite:

ASP TACLITE THREAD

Brightnorm