Who started all this?

hula

Newly Enlightened
I am curious to know who exactly started CPF. I note some of the administrators but is there a single person who began it all?
How have things progressed and do you think it's growing positively?

Hula.

B@rt

Flashaholic
Member #5, DavidW, is the owner of CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif

DieselDave

Super Moderator,
It is growing positively?
I will just say this; Bill Gates is probably looking over his shoulder. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Seriously, from what I understand the forum has experienced exponential growth over the last 18 months.

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
There has been an exponential growth in new tech flashlights over the last 18 months, and word has apparantly gotten out. Those that get real tired of lousy lights and have internet access, eventually find their way here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well in the old days folks talked about the finer points of the Eveready Fish Light...how well it was crafted and such.

Now...with all the baiting and trolling (terms we never even heard of)...talking about healthy things to do with private parts...politics...add to that the wicked, whip snaping, serving wench...and whats not to love.

We should change the intro to read "A quaint little place where a bunch of beer drinking, belly aching, politicing, sexual deveants hang out with a flashlight problem."

But then...our membership is growing so fast as it is...why make things even worse by advertising.

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Me. I started it. Member #14. I told everyone who would listen and those who wouldn't, all about it. I told every flashlight company I dealt with about it..I wouldn't be surprised if I have email from 2000 telling someone at Ledlites (or was it Lumileds?) about it..I was trying to start a discussion board myself that would include flashlights, but this one got started up first so I just went with this one.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

"CPF; Bright Lights, Dark Towels."

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who in their right mind would want to start a discussion board about flashlights and lights?

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
The first post ? [ QUOTE ]
DavidW said:
I've noticed guys like to talk guns, knives and FLASHLIGHTS. (And watches among other gadgets.) So I created this forum for us to hang out in. Have fun.<P>------------------<BR>"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"<BR>-Nordic proverb<p>[This message has been edited by DavidW (edited 08-07-2000).]

[/ QUOTE ]

D

**DONOTDELETE**

well we were just obeying fearless leader's orders, having "fun" over in Cafe for a minute there, but mean old DieselD. locked the thread. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Prude.
(his last post; #69, figures..)

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
B@rt said:
The first post ? [ QUOTE ]
DavidW said:
I've noticed guys like to talk guns, knives and FLASHLIGHTS. (And watches among other gadgets.) So I created this forum for us to hang out in. Have fun.<P>------------------<BR>"A knifeless man is a lifeless man"<BR>-Nordic proverb<p>[This message has been edited by DavidW (edited 08-07-2000).]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, guy`s like to talk about cars, boats, motorcycles, airplanes, computers, politics, naked ladies...I know...I`ll start a flashlight forum and we can all talk about that...Jeese David, what were you thinking!? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

DavidW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ken, I don't know.

Some history:

Spark shut down the suggestion for a forum including flashlights here. (Note: he did eventually open a gadgets forum.) So I considered opening my own.

At that time I was wanting to open a political forum. But when the time came to click the [Buy Now] button I used the UBB software to start a flashlight forum. Here's my verbal musings feeling the interest in a forum dedicated to lights.

[ QUOTE ]
Judging by the response from my original question there should be a flashlight forum with reviews and member experience. I would have a lot more money now if I didn't go crazy in search of the ultimate flashlight I would have more knives and less flashlights. At least a Misc. forum other than knives. Maybe a bright shiney object forum.

[/ QUOTE ]

If I remember right, when CPF first opened, the "Knives, Multi-tools and other Gadgets" and "Watches" forums were under "Bright, Shiny Objects". The cafe (Initially called 'Chit Chat') was opened and BSO was renamed "Off Topic".

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey...thanks for sharing this history with us...I think many members will find it interesting...I did. Might even be worthwhile to come up with "a little history behind the making of CPF"...make it a sticky...or a link. It was also interesting to see the aurguments over whether the Photon or the ASP were a better light...the guy promoing the ASP did have some good points. Wonder if they still make those.

In a way this forum here, at times seems to host political debates. Maybe we should have a seperate one for that? Things can get rather nasty in those threads...but...it`s part of what keeps life interesting...and it does build membership.

Ken

Brock

Flashaholic
I remember when David email myself and Dano and ??? to come over here and be moderators. I thought sure, a new forum with nothing but lights, should be a peice of cake, 5 post a day no problem /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/faint.gif Now look where we are.

All I can say is thanks David! Hey am I ever goin to meet you in person? SS2004?