mystery led

docb

Newly Enlightened
By mistake I got sent a red star LED that has a driver right on the star board.

Anybody know anything about these?

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's a mystery indeed - are you going to give any indication of where it came from or post a pic of it? :shrug:

docb

Newly Enlightened
I can't find a store that actually sells them, but I can definitely post a picture if anyone wants.

The actual star says "Joanny" on it.

docb

Newly Enlightened

Has two amc7135's on it.
Why two?

Last edited:

CampingLED

Enlightened
Saw some posts a while ago from a newbie with components on the LED side of stars. The posts dissapeared quite quickly (spammer who tried to boost his products). May be from the same manufacturer.

CampingLED

Enlightened
Yep, the product/manufacturer in your link is the same, but from the above pic it is probably not from the same manufacturer.

luxrc

Banned
Thank you for the interesting link. Those look like very professionally done products.

L311_2.jpg
L331_1.jpg

thanks, HarryN. Those MCPCB stars may bear up to 3 LEDs, the least tiny is just 13.9mm in diameter. The on-board switching regulator exhibits instant thermal feedback from LED and stabilizes the LED's brightness in wide voltage range. Both boost and buck topologies are present. The only disadvantage known is that the LEDs cannot be upgraded if only you don't have an IR oven/preheater.

Last edited:

docb

Newly Enlightened
I ordered a regular LED, and got this.
The store doesn't sell them in red, but does in white.

I have emailed to ask if they will start selling reds, but heard nothing back so far. The guy is in China right now, so hopefully more info soon.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
interesting... definitely makes DIY easier, assuming the components do not bump into the reflector/TIR.

2x7135 ICs in parallel for 700mah. The diode is for reverse polarity protection. Efficiency of the 7135 drops dramatically with Vin > Vf, so stick with single cell Lithium Ion or 3xNiMH hosts.

Johnny..? Who's Johnny? Johnny Carson is a flashaholic?

:popcorn:

Last edited:

luxrc

Banned
interesting... definitely makes DIY easier, assuming the components do not bump into the reflector/TIR.

they use low profile components. They're a bit more expensive but it's guaranteed that the components do not reach the optics.

luxrc

Banned
L332.jpg
L312.jpg

I have finished with single-mode versions of XP-G engines (LEDs integrated with high-efficiency boost/buck drivers). The new XP-G triplet is now taking advantage of a ultra-low quiescent current LDO which extends the allowable voltage range to 4.8-9.6V. The internal LDO also should drive a microcontroller which I will install in next 1-2 weeks (I need to finish the program). The microcontroller will implement the mode-change logic.

A signle-die engine will be a single-mode because I was trying to minimize its size. It's only 14mm in diameter and I'm going to use it for a sub-compact helmet light.

In new engines I'll be using gold plated pins for connections. They're much more easy to solder than small pads on a MCPCB

VidPro

Flashlight Enthusiast

Has two amc7135's on it.
Why two?

hey can i comment on just how stupid this seems to me, just so it doesnt become PAR , and then they sell us Home light bulbs with leds barely heat synced enough, then drivers HEATING the leds own heat sync.
:crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy::crazy:
This is like Jerassic design, its fun and neet and groovy and the T-rex is big and loud, then the running starts, and the blood, and the bodies flying , and it just isnt fun anymore :thinking:
its easy all together like that, its not a hard drive (so no problem here), but if somebody doesnt notice how stupid it is to put little heaters on the leds heat sync , then they will do it on everything :-(

take shoving 4V into this Red star, say it runs at 2.5v at 750ma , that means about a Watt of waste heat is going the be really helping the led cooling :thumbsdow. Then to top it off they will probably tell people you can stuff 6v into the input (which you can) and 100% More heat than the leds total output will be landing on the leds heat sync.

i am saying , I would even use something like that, knowing what is happening to the cooling and all. I just think that if this becomes NORMAL for things , its really going to burn me up, oh wait, its really going to burn the led up :).

i just wish good designs would account for Everything, and really be good designs, as opposed to us getting more repair jobs of shorter running items.
i wish when people say "ohh that is great" they also say, "but there are ramifications".

when manufactures can make a cell phone on the head of a pin, then need a boat battery to power it and a lake to cool it, then we will know its 2012 :)

Last edited: