Princeton Tec EOS durability reassurance...

woodentsick

Enlightened
:candle:
Hey CPFers,

I know for a fact that the PT EOS is a very durable headlamp. However, I'm taking it to Nepal for a 10 day trek, and I don't have any special carrying case for it. Can anyone try to convince me that the headlamp won't get scratched, or broken, or cracked under pressure from luggage, or just go :poof:? Any personal stories of taking it around the world in the worst of conditions, shoved in a backpack and rattled almost to death?

Thanks,

woodentsick

Last edited:

fishx65

Enlightened
Can't say I took it around the world but I abused the crap out of mine for about 7 years before the switch failed. PT was quick to send me a brand new one! Never had any problems with cracked plastic. I would just keep it in a soft sack and throw it in your luggage. They are small and light so you could probably take two.

vtunderground

Enlightened
For what it's worth... if I had to pick any headlamp to take on a 10-day trek in Nepal, I would take the PT EOS (my second choice would be the PT Yukon HL).

I keep an EOS in my backpack at all times, as a backup light while caving or mine exploring, or just in case I end up unexpectedly out past dark. I've never treated it nicely - it's just thrown in a big pocket with a couple other flashlights, a water bottle, a multi-tool, spare batteries, first-aid kit, and a bunch of other gear. No problems.

What type batteries are you thinking about taking? My vote would be for lithium. The only trouble I've ever had with an EOS was when some alkaline batteries leaked inside it during use. It still worked, but there was battery goo on the circuit board that caused unusual operating issues. Definitely the fault of the batteries, not the EOS.

Gazerbeam

Newly Enlightened
Hi woodentsick! I transport my EOS in a zip-up soft shell sunglasses case; it's big enough for batteries and an additional small EDC. I also use one to stash a light weight jacket. I haven't had any problems with this light, it's very durable.

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Last edited:

MRQZ

Newly Enlightened
Hi. Joined just so I could give you my 2 cents. I have an EOS and have had it for about 10 months. One of the little springs which puts tension on the battery to hold it in place came off. Looks like its crimped in place. PT said send it in for warranty. Good. But said turn around is 3 weeks. Bad. I will be ordering a ZL 501 tomorrow(need a light for work) Best advice: make sure the little springs are secuely attached.

Gazerbeam

Newly Enlightened
:welcome: MRQZ, sorry to hear about your EOS, first time I've heard about this happening. PT might return the new 70 lumen model; make sure you send it in! Let us know how it goes. From what I've heard here you should be amazed by the ZL.

Last edited:

csa

Enlightened
You're going to love Nepal! Great place, trekking is amazing. Most places you'll be trekking to won't have continous electricity, so coleman style lanterns are the most common way to light a room. There's a lot less light polution, so often the stars provide more than enough light for things like going to the outhouse at night. For most things, you'll find you want less light, not more.

I'd say take more than one light, but your PT should be just fine for this trip. I'd take my Zebralight H30 for a headlamp, my E1B, and some 2-cell light (that would take more figuring out).

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was also thinking that there's no flashlight I'd trust so much that I wouldn't have a spare if I were going that far away from a "civilized" (I don't mean that, but can't think of a better word - maybe "commercialized") area.

You're going to love Nepal! Great place, trekking is amazing. Most places you'll be trekking to won't have continous electricity, so coleman style lanterns are the most common way to light a room. There's a lot less light polution, so often the stars provide more than enough light for things like going to the outhouse at night. For most things, you'll find you want less light, not more.

I'd say take more than one light, but your PT should be just fine for this trip. I'd take my Zebralight H30 for a headlamp, my E1B, and some 2-cell light (that would take more figuring out).

Gazerbeam

Newly Enlightened
Hi woodentsick, it certainly would be nice to vicariously enjoy the adventure through your photographs and memoirs. ;)

Last edited:

MRQZ

Newly Enlightened
Update on warranty claim. ....Dropped it off at the post office on 4/17/2010 and just got it back today 4/26/2010. They sent me a new lamp . It is the 50 lumen model.:)

Gazerbeam

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the update MRQZ it's good to know PT took care of you! :thumbsup:
Is it possible you have a mislabeled 70 lumen EOS?

Chauncey Gardner

Enlightened
Hi woodentsick! I transport my EOS in a zip-up soft shell sunglasses case; it's big enough for batteries and an additional small EDC. I also use one to stash a light weight jacket. I haven't had any problems with this light, it's very durable.

Picture002.jpg

Picture003.jpg

Picture004.jpg

That is a very handy setup for travel.

Mine has a headstrap instead of the headlamp.

Spare batteries, a nano charger, spare edc & a lens cloth wrapped around it all.

Works great, keep one in every car. A mini lumen bug out case if you will. Gives new life to all the empty cases missing sunglasses...

monkyboy

Newly Enlightened
I've got one.
Has lasted me 5 years and has not missed a trip yet. I've been backpacking with it around Canada and the US, the snow didn't bother it in Canada. And I have taken it campng in Mexico, in some pretty bad conditions.
And it has also done a lot of time in the Australian bush on lots of treks and bushwalking in all conditions imaginable. I store it in a soft bag and it gets beaten around a heap but keeps on working. It still surprises people how bright it is, and it's five years old!