Earth Hour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dez

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys!

As you all probably know its time for this years earth hour.
Is this a big thing in the states?

Anyway, I was wondering, should you also switch off all your surefires, maglites and nitecores or is it time for a flashaholics dream with a completely dark town and go nutts? =)

I´m not sure yet, but I have stocked up with batts for tonight.

Are you turning off the lights tonight?

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Its GMT+11 here and we had Earth Hour about 3hrs ago. Turned off all the lights in the house and most of the houses in the neighbourhood did as well. Had quite abit of fun with my Jetbeam M1Xv4 and Solarforce Masterpiece Pro-I.

woodentsick

Enlightened
Earth Hour just got over as I'm typing... it GMT +8 here in Singapore and in my area I don't think anybody other than us turned off their lights :ironic:

However a few national landmarks switched off (some of) thor lights.

woodentsick

TedTheLed

Flashlight Enthusiast
oops, missed it. but then I'm all-solar powered, so I guess every hour is earth hour here :)
next year, should i turn all my lights ON?

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ours is later tonight.
What I don't "get" is our electricity is generated by Hydro Dams.
So , if we turn off all our lights, where do they 'store" the extra energy that we are not using??????

LUPARA

Newly Enlightened
I've been turning lights off out of economical necessity for a long long time now; I don't need Earth Hour to be telling me what to do with my time here on earth...I'm a little Earth Hour Sour...damned Hippy bullshit...

Groupthink - it's unbelievable! :poke:

In fact, I've saved so much energy over time that I'm leaving all my lights on for a week just because...and during said week; I'm gonna drive across the country in my 1975, 460 Ford F150...'bout 12mpg but puts out a LOT of power. No problems burnin' rubber with this baby!!!:crackup:

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
its on here at the moment.

turned all the houselights off.
turned the tvs off.
unplugged the laptop. (going on battery now)
lit some candles for fun.

lit 10 flashlights on the floor (most of the ones that tailstand) had them on their dimmest setting and had to turn them off.. they were too bright. hahah.

set them around the house in strategic locations if one needs one to turn on.

now i have the bright light of my laptop and when i move around i use the zebralight h501w clipped to my collar.

i like darkness.

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll be turning out the lights in my apartment, tv off, running off the laptop battery, and maybe listening to my crank up radio. ........And of course playing with my flashlights!

TorchBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I don't "get" is our electricity is generated by Hydro Dams.
So , if we turn off all our lights, where do they 'store" the extra energy that we are not using??????
In the dam!!!!!! :cool: (Or behind the dam, if you want to get picky.) It's not like it's going to go anywhere else or seriously evaporate.

One place here organised a drive-in movie for Earth Hour... encouraging people to use lots of fossil fuels to go and see Al Gore or something ironic like that. :shakehead

Beamhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where I live everyone turning off all their lights at a scheduled time for a publicized predetermined duration is like saying hey over here, come on in home invasion punks. So excuse me for not playing along. (actually I am more than ready for any fool attempting to gain entry but you get my point)

mfm

Enlightened
Here the WWF wanted us to turn off our lights (powered by hydroelectric power) and instead light candles (which are mostly petroleum made) or light fires...

Nothing better for the environment than carcinogens from partially burned hydrocarbons such as benzene and toulene... Which is what cheap candles will produce. And unfiltered burning in fireplaces will release sulphur in the air among other things.

It is mindbogglingly dumb, so no, I didn't participate.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
This is what happens every year though - everyone acts like it's ridiculous at first, but then as the night goes on, more people realize it's a chance to drag out flashlights, and more and more posters participate, until once it's finally over, everyone's posting about looking forward to the next blackout..

Josey

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's nice to see sincere, caring people taking positive, if largely symbolic action. It shows people care. It sheds light on an important issue. Thank you.

I'm way off the grid, and all my power is solar or wind. And this time of year, I have solar up the ying yang. Plus, there is no one here to see what I do with my lights.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
I never heard of it, and I believe there are enough things being forced upon us that I feel no need to make a symbolic gesture. I further believe there is too much hype alarmism going on anyway.

I'll never give up my incan house bulbs. I like to look on the bright side....I'm stimulating the economy. :nana:

Hey at least you know where I stand. :tinfoil:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
I never heard of it, and I believe there are enough things being forced upon us

I've not heard of it either, and were this compulsory we surely would have.

Had this been called International CPF Day, which given the instructions it sounds very much like, it wouldn't be about a cause for people to agree or disagree with and instead would be a fun excuse to use our favorite lights, all over the world, all at the same time.

Sounds like a pretty good cause to me.

PayBack

Enlightened
I turned extra lights on and set my POB HIDs pointing skywards also out of protest.

I'm tired of people preaching about global warming to me when they don't even know what an interglacial is... or the fact they've been happening about every 100k years for the past 450,000 years. For the last 400,000 they were a normal cycle, but now this one is because I drive an SUV.

yeah right. :thumbsdow

Status
Not open for further replies.