RA owners with AlTiN coated SS bezel . . .

Hobbs

Newly Enlightened
How long have you owned the light and how is the coating holding up? Links to photos of all black RA?
Thanx in advance.

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the AlTin SS bezel and still looks like new, not a single scratch or mark, I have had it for about 1 week and I got it second hand

Here is a bit of text from hdslights.com about the coating,

What is AlTiN?
AlTiN is an acronym for Aluminum Titanium Nitride. AlTiN is a dark colored vapor deposition coating that is applied in a vacuum. AlTiN is so tough and hard it is used to coat machine tools, drill bits and other wear surfaces to make them last longer. In addition to wearing better than hardened steel, AlTiN imparts a beautiful purple-black color to the surface it is applied to.
We use AlTiN to provide a dark non-glossy coating to our stainless steel bezels. We have found that this coating will out wear even a military Type 3 hard anodize.

taken from here

Last edited:

Hobbs

Newly Enlightened
Saw the link to the explanation and work in a machine shop. I know what the coating is/does, but was looking for real world experience as to how it is holding up on your light. How long have you had your light and how much use does it get?

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've had mine for 9 months now and teh bezel is really like new!

Today, I tried to polish the ss bezel of my 140C, which has weird scratched which must have come from running around with the light in my pocket (it's alone in there, always!). I don't know what did the, the G-1000 I suppose, I was not able to polish them out, even with Scotchbright and steelwhool they can still be seen, they look like little dirt splashes.

The 170Cn has been carried around in exactly the same way, nearly as often asd it is still mint like the first day! The only thing I don't like about it is the touch, it feels "rough", not smooth at all. My lights stand on glass and while normal titanium bezels, just as ss or aluminium slide easily, the AlTiN doesn't. The advantage of all that is, that it has the best grip you can imagine, screwing it on and off is piece of cake!

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
I've had mine for 9 months now and teh bezel is really like new!

Today, I tried to polish the ss bezel of my 140C, which has weird scratched which must have come from running around with the light in my pocket (it's alone in there, always!). I don't know what did the, the G-1000 I suppose, I was not able to polish them out, even with Scotchbright and steelwhool they can still be seen, they look like little dirt splashes.

The 170Cn has been carried around in exactly the same way, nearly as often asd it is still mint like the first day! The only thing I don't like about it is the touch, it feels "rough", not smooth at all. My lights stand on glass and while normal titanium bezels, just as ss or aluminium slide easily, the AlTiN doesn't. The advantage of all that is, that it has the best grip you can imagine, screwing it on and off is piece of cake!

Same experience here. My stainless Twisty bezel has the same type of little scratches that I do well ignoring most of the time. My Clicky with the AlTiN coated bezel looks new and still has the same feel as day 1.

Henk Lu described perfectly the experience of a AlTiN coated bezel!