Looking for suggestions on my first real purchase(s)

boondongle

Newly Enlightened
I've done some reading around the forum (the Welcome Mat was pretty useful after I found it), and I'm pretty excited about making my first informed flashlight purchase. I just discovered this whole "flashaholic" scene after searching for LIMN batteries online. I found a vendor with lots of batteries and flashlights, and I impulse-bought an Ultrafire WF-500, a Solar Force L1200, and a Romisen RC-A8 Cree P4-WC along with the batteries I was looking for. Then I found a link to this forum and was kicking myself for not doing more research before ordering.

So after a bit of reading, I've decided that I want to get myself three different flashlights, each with their own function, and I'm hoping that the members here will help point me in the right direction. I don't mind doing some more research, but I'd at least appreciate a good starting point.

I'm also willing to do a bit of customizing (I can work power tools, I'm a decent hand at soldering, and I have some small amount of electrical knowledge) to get the right light, assuming there is a tutorial or walk through available. Obviously, modifying the ones I just ordered is also fine, and will probably help keep costs down.

Flashlight #1
Purpose: EDC
Primary consideration: Brightest light that can fit in a pocket
Secondary considerations: I'd prefer a clicky switch, not a twisty
Cost: Under $100
Runtime: Not important, but at least a few minutes
Batteries: Lithium rechargeable (Li-Ion, LIMN, LiFePo4), 14500s, 16340s, or 18500s preferred

I've read about the Auroralite hotwire mod, and that sounded about perfect. But I can't find the kit anywhere, so I'd really appreciate it if anyone could point out a vendor that carries them, or a suitable replacement.

Flashlight #2
Purpose: Glove box multi-function
Primary consideration: Long run time with a decent light
Secondary considerations: A clicky switch on the body is slightly preferable to one on the back; Multiple modes are probably best, rather than just a simple on-off
Cost: Under $150
Runtime: At least five hours
Batteries: Lithium rechargeable (Li-Ion, LIMN, LiFePo4), 18650s preferred

Flashlight #3
Purpose: Camping light
Primary consideration: Lighting up a whole campsite
Secondary considerations: Again, a side clicky is preferable to one on the end
Cost: Under $200
Runtime: At least two hours
Batteries: Lithium rechargeable (Li-Ion, LIMN, LiFePo4), 26650s preferred

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions.

umc

Enlightened
Wow, I remember seeing this thread two days ago and thinking I'm not qualified to comment so I didn't but after seeing it now and nobody has commented I guess I'll give it a go.

I see how you have your three different categories and are looking for a light for each but what I'm going to do is suggest 3 lights that will fit anyone of those categories and let you play with them and figure out where you want to place them on the idea that you have a 450.00 budget.

Quark Regular 123, Quark Regular 123x2 and a RA Clicky Custom EDC 170.

All great lights, all great lights that are my favorites right now for their own reason and all lights that either one can fit in either one of your categories.

Buy those three and spend some on batteries and then put the rest in a savings fund for your next round of lights.

You can't go wrong with the above.

Brian321

Enlightened
Wow, I remember seeing this thread two days ago and thinking I'm not qualified to comment so I didn't but after seeing it now and nobody has commented I guess I'll give it a go.

Same thing happend to me.

Well I can tell you a few of my favorite lights and you can do some research and see what you like.

My Favorite EDC is the Jetbeam RRT-0.... Its an awesome light with great output and a decent runtime for a single cell light.

As for a light to keep in your car i would probably pick a surefire with a Malkoff Drop-in. If you want runtime go with THIS one.

My favorite for around camp would have to be a Zebralight H501w headlamp.... It has a perfect beam and you have both hands to do camp tasks.

Hope this helps.

Brian.

Last edited:

boondongle

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the responses. I like the Quark 123 and the JETBeam, but I don't think they fit what I was originally looking for, since they seem to be good EDC lights, just not bright enough. But maybe I'm wrong, and there aren't any brighter options.

For the pocket light, I really want something that can fit in a pocket, and still have an incredibly bright light...something that will shock people with how bright it is.

pwatcher

Enlightened
Thanks for the responses. I like the Quark 123 and the JETBeam, but I don't think they fit what I was originally looking for, since they seem to be good EDC lights, just not bright enough. But maybe I'm wrong, and there aren't any brighter options.

For the pocket light, I really want something that can fit in a pocket, and still have an incredibly bright light...something that will shock people with how bright it is.
I just got one of these. Haven't tried it yet even. But pretty bright, and definitely ok for pants pocket - maybe not for shirt though.

TerraLUX TLF-3C2AAEX Cree XRE Q4

there's a seller on ebay right now if you do a search (not me) - about $30 total

In edit: For shirt pocketable light, I think 4Sevens Preon 2 x AAA XP-G would shock a lot of people?

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
The problem with side switch is you really limit yourself to a smaller number of lights to choose from but if you must have one as a EDC maybe the Zebralight SC50. As far as pocket size that can mean different sizes to different people, I know people who can carry a light as big as the Eagletac T20 or Fenix TK11 in their pocket with not much problem while other people only carry something small like a Quark Mini or Jetbeam RRT0. Other lights to consider is the Eagletac XP-G models they are bright and well made the T/P20C2 MII.

I agree with other the RRT0 is a wonderful pocket light with lots of lumens I carry one often. I think the Olight M30 is a good camping light it has a rear switch to turn on and a rear side switch to change output modes, it's bright and meets you lighting up a whole campsite.

Zebralight SC50- http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_20&products_id=623

Olight M30- http://www.batteryjunction.com/olight-m30-triton.html

Jet RRT0- http://www.bugoutgearusa.com/rrt0.html

Eagletac- http://www.eagletac-usa.com/

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can get an Akoray K-109 3 mode programmable with a XR-E Q5 (I believe) so 220 rather focused lumens on high. This is using a CR123 or the rechargeable version.

This will have a brighter hotspot than the XP-G althought that hotspot will be a little smaller (and throw further).

For the car and camping light unless you want to get something really big a Uniquefire L2 using a XP-G and running on a single 18650 will run on low for about 4 or 5 hours (low still being 100 lumen or more) and running on high, which is 325 lumens, for about an hour. This has 5 modes.

Both of these use rear clicky switches.

If you want to spend more just buy the name brand version of each of those lights which would be Solarforce or Surefire for the second light and maybe a Quark for the first one.

If you need to spend $450 I have those lights and will sell them to you for $450 but if you buy them direct they are each about $25. :)

But if you want quality...mine have been extensively tested and inspected...but as they say quality costs...$450. :)

Last edited:

^Gurthang

Flashlight Enthusiast
I admire your tireless efforts to insure good QC Bryan.

One thing to consider in a "glove box" light... low self-discharge batteries.

Two possibilities: CR123 primary batteries, long storage life and small form factor. Second is NiMH AA batteries, the Sanyo Eneloop is the current SOTA example. The 123 can last for years in storage. The Eneloop is rechargeable and will hold a charge for nearly a year.

The 4-7s Quark comes in both 123 and AA flavors [useful for quick back-up since heads and tailcaps interchange].

I'll also suggest checking CPF supporter Shining Beam, he stocks some very good budget lights [Romisen] that are good quality and fit your plans.

In fact you could save enough $$$ on the camping and glove box lights that you could afford a top-end Sun Drop , Haiku, or LunaSol.

boondongle

Newly Enlightened
Looks nice, and the price is decent, so I might just grab one of those and see how they work. Any idea if the LED can support two 14500s instead of AAs?

The problem with side switch is you really limit yourself to a smaller number of lights to choose from
The side switch is a "nice to have" feature...it's definitely not a requirement. For the pocket light, I'd actually prefer a tail cap switch.

As far as pocket size that can mean different sizes to different people
Fair point. For me, pocket size would be about 100mm long and 25mm in diameter, but there's some flex -- if it was longer but narrower, that's fine. Same goes for one that's fatter, but shorter.

You can get an Akoray K-109 3 mode programmable with a XR-E Q5 (I believe) so 220 rather focused lumens on high. This is using a CR123 or the rechargeable version.
Are there different versions of this light? The one I can find says it has an XR-E Q2-WC, with 145 lumens on high.

For the car and camping light unless you want to get something really big a Uniquefire L2 using a XP-G and running on a single 18650 will run on low for about 4 or 5 hours (low still being 100 lumen or more) and running on high, which is 325 lumens, for about an hour. This has 5 modes.
Interesting. I was looking at an L2 host, and pairing that with an XP-G drop in, the cost is pretty reasonable. This sounds good, though I might go with a less bright LED for longer battery life.

If you want to spend more just buy the name brand version of each of those lights which would be Solarforce or Surefire for the second light and maybe a Quark for the first one.
I don't care about names, just performance.

If you need to spend $450 I have those lights and will sell them to you for $450 but if you buy them direct they are each about $25. :)
LOL. No, I don't want to spend that much, that's just my limit. Less expensive is better, of course.

But if you want quality...mine have been extensively tested and inspected...but as they say quality costs...$450. :)
Hah, no...that's okay. I wouldn't want to deprive you of your tested quality lights.

One thing to consider in a "glove box" light... low self-discharge batteries.

Two possibilities: CR123 primary batteries, long storage life and small form factor. Second is NiMH AA batteries, the Sanyo Eneloop is the current SOTA example. The 123 can last for years in storage. The Eneloop is rechargeable and will hold a charge for nearly a year.

I already have a bunch of li-ion batteries, and I charge and replace them frequently. Adding flashlights into the routine wouldn't be much of a burden.

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there different versions of this light? The one I can find says it has an XR-E Q2-WC, with 145 lumens on high.

There are a lot of versions on this light. I have a 5 mode version that is not programmable that is supposed to be 220 lumens on high and the 3 mode version that I mentioned that is supposed to be 220 lumens on high.

The 3 mode version is 220 lumens and the 5 mode is only about 100 lumens (with CR123 anyway).

The one you would want is SKU: S006968 at Kaidomain. It doesn't specifically mention being programmable but it is. It's about $20. You can program both brightness and order..hi,med,lo, or lo,med, hi or whatever. You can chose to have strobes or not. You can chose the exact brightness as well due to a ramping feature while programming.

The Ultrafiire that I mention (5 mode) is from DX and is SKU 33549. The benefit of modes with a XP-G is that you can have a bright light when you want it and can also have less light when that's all that is needed and have much longer runtimes.

Last edited:

boondongle

Newly Enlightened
The one you would want is SKU: S006968 at Kaidomain. It doesn't specifically mention being programmable but it is. It's about $20. You can program both brightness and order..hi,med,lo, or lo,med, hi or whatever. You can chose to have strobes or not. You can chose the exact bright as well due to a ramping feature while programming.
Okay, thanks for clearing that up.

The Ultrafiire that I mention (5 mode) is from DX and is SKU 33549. The benefit of modes with a XP-G is that you can have a bright light when you want it and can also have less light when that's all that is needed and have much longer runtimes.
Wow...that's about half the price of the L2 host and XP-G drop in that I was looking at. Thanks for that.

pwatcher

Enlightened
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwatcher

Looks nice, and the price is decent, so I might just grab one of those and see how they work. Any idea if the LED can support two 14500s instead of AAs?

Packaging doesn't say, nor terraluxcorp.com that I could see. I plan to use alkalines or maybe eneloops, once I bust it out of its blister pack some day soon!