How are You Using your Headlamps?

umc

Enlightened
Hey everyone,

I'm just curious, how are you using your headlamps and what ones do you have?

I have a Princeton Tec Aurora and a Zebralight H30 and I don't use either of them. I'm planning on picking up a Surefire Saint Minimus but am thinking that it may just sit in the closet like the others. Even so I want one and think that even though I may not have a frequent requirement for one there may be a moment where I say, ahhh, where is that headlamp.

At this time I cant think of that moment so please share yours..

qtaco

Newly Enlightened
I only have a Zebralight H50, and I find it most useful when traveling and camping. It was invaluable on a recent long haul flight when the personal reading lights in my row weren't working. Another perfect application was a night I spent sleeping on a Felluca in Egypt; it provided a perfect amount of diffuse light for our party to see what we were doing but still enjoy the clear night and ambiance of being on the Nile.

Having said that I mostly use it clipped to something else (shirt, tent pole, mast) rather then my head, but I still consider it a head lamp first and foremost.

Ska-T

Newly Enlightened
Backpacking and car camping.
Light for city walking at night. Though, lately I use a hand held flashlight for jogging or trail hiking.
Close up tasks: tying flies, wrapping fishing rods, repairing sewing machines, sewing, etc.

vtunderground

Enlightened
I have three Pt Eos' (one is good, one is in the middle of being modded, and the third is for parts). I use the good one for grilling after dark, working on the cars, walking around the yard after dark, and pretty much everything around the house (like doing electrical work, or anything in the attic or basement). I also use it for hunting & night hiking, and as a backup headlamp while exploring or caving.

I have a PT Apex that I use for exploring abandoned mines, storm drains, and underground stuff like that.

I have a homemade 2 x SSC P4 headlamp that I use for caving.

I also have a (modded) PT Solo that I keep around as a loaner for people I take caving.

funkymonkey1111

Enlightened
use mine to walk the dogs, around a camp, and have used them on auto repair. keep them in the car for tire changes, etc. a headlamp beats any handheld for changing a tire on a dark night

vaska

Newly Enlightened
XC-skiing, bikeriding, camping and, on 1/3 of Max, as a local lightsource at home for sewing, turning etc.

xcandrew

Newly Enlightened
Magicshine - cross country skiing, running, dog walking, biking, night orienteering (wouldn't mind trying a Vaska :whistle:).

SSC P4-modified PT Eos - I used to use it for the above, but needs a new switch (and it's way outshined by the Magicshine). It would still be useful for short runs and dog walks if I could get a new switch.

PT Quad - Walking around the house without turning on the lights, collecting dust.

PT Aurora - reading in bed, collecting dust.

PT Solo - collecting dust.

csa

Enlightened
I use the H30 for reading at night (doesn't disturb the SO the way a light on does), and for around-camp tasks while backpacking and camping. Also really useful for around-the-house when the power is out - better than lighting candles by a long shot.

davidt1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use my Zebralight H501 instead house lamps to save electricity as much as possible. I carry it on my belt nearly 24/7, so I use it on the road (mostly as headlamp and desk lamp) as well.

As bathroom light
IMG_4442.jpg

IMG_3744.jpg

As desk lamp
IMG_4499.jpg

As overhead light
IMG_4056.jpg

The tiny size means I can carry it in my pocket or on the belt at all times. This is what sets it apart from other bulky headlamps. After all, how useful is your headlamp if you don't have it when you need it? Here it nearly disappears on my belt.
IMG_4540.jpg

Last edited:

MustardMan

Newly Enlightened
I use my headlamps constantly - while working around camp while camping or backpacking, rock climbing after the sun goes down and temperatures cool off, working under cars or in electrical boxes, closets, crawlspaces, and other tight places.

Pretty much any task where I'm using my hands to actually DO something, I prefer a headlamp. Flashlights are nice for searching for things, but for any kind of up close work, a headlamp is generally better.

Sometimes I'll flip the headlamp upside down, and hang it around my neck - that illuminates the ground and area right in front of you, without blinding every person around you every time you look in their direction.

Padre

Newly Enlightened
I use my Zebralight H501 instead house lamps to save electricity as much as possible. I carry it on my belt nearly 24/7, so I use it on the road (mostly as headlamp and desk lamp) as well.

As bathroom light
IMG_4442.jpg

IMG_3744.jpg

As desk lamp
IMG_4499.jpg

As overhead light
IMG_4056.jpg

The tiny size means I can carry it in my pocket or on the belt at all times. This is what sets it apart from other bulky headlamps. After all, how useful is your headlamp if you don't have it when you need it? Here it nearly disappears on my belt.
IMG_4540.jpg
Where did you find that nice little snake like holder for your desklamp?

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
Usually the Zebralight and Rayovak 1AA headlamps do outdoors stuff only and I don't use them as often as improvised headlamps.
Often I use other lights as headlamps for task lighting for projects / repairs / renovations /builds. Inside or outside, I find the directed lighting a headlamp provides excellent.

Current work lights are 3.0-9.0v quark xpg R5, and an Ultrafire MCU-C7 with mc-e -- these two work exceedingly well with the Quark prism kit making excellent task lighting.

UpChUcK

Enlightened
I have a Petzl Myo XP and e+Lite. I use them for camping and hiking. The e+Lite is in my EDC backpack for emergency use. I use my MyoXP all the time for home improvment projects especially ones that require electrical to be turned off. I used it for some plumbing projects also and it is indespensible when you need both hands. Oh, and I also use the MyoXP when I snowblow my driveway and walkways at night.

Looking to get the ZL H501 and H31 soon. :whistle:

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use mine mostly at the cabin. Great when your packing or moving stuff (firewood etc), when two hands are needed.
At night, outside I pretty much have it on my head all the time. Walking back from neighbours, grabbing beer etc.

At home for reading . Find with my poor eyes, the light right there works better than a table lamp

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I have 3 ZL headlamps. One is inside my E&E bag, the other two get used in camp. My older Aurora headlamps are loners for those who got nothing on group camping trips. The PT Apex is used for night paddles back after fishing in the yak. The EOS and HL20 are used for both camp and night hikes. Oh almost forgot, the ZLs are also used for backouts

chenko

Enlightened
I use my Zebralight H501w on low to follow theater scripts during performances and work with the mixing desk / messy cables. I also bring it for any stuff I have to do at night and it proved useful many times. Of course I also use it for hikes and the like.

dom

Enlightened
I use a modded EOS every night instead of houselights.Another EOS with 4AA battery pack for camping.

Original H50 as backup.

I have had quite a few H30s and H501W,which i really liked,
but i always seem to give them away:-(