Thrunite or Dereelight xpg drop in?

don.gwapo

Enlightened
I have a solarforce L2 with the solarforce r2 5 mode drop in and I want a brighter drop in. This two are my selections:

http://flashlightconnection.com/ThruNite-1-5-Amp-XP-G-P60-Size-Drop-In-Single-Mode-p305.html

http://flashlightconnection.com/Der...1SM-2-Cree-XP-G-R5-Drop-In-P60-size-p266.html

Throw or flood is not an issue for me. My L2 is using 2xrcr123. I choose those two coz it fits on my $40.00 budget and they accept money order as payment. Guys, which one is the best to get? Any input is welcome. Thanks a lot.

Paul_in_Maryland

Flashlight Enthusiast
I "may" open it up so anyone can edit it. Or I could move it to a CPF Wiki, where anyone who's logged in can edit it. For example, the table could probably use new columns for tint, current draw at different voltages, Low and Middle-level percentage of full power, strobe behavior, and more. I welcome suggestions.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Paul, I see in your spreadsheet you've mentioned that the Dereelight units have better heatsinking vs. Thrunite. You may want to mention that is when using a Dereelight host. The better heatsinking is accomplished by not having to use an outer spring in this setup, so the body of the dropin comes in direct contact with the host body.

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
I have both and I would say I like the Deree more even though it has less output on high.

Honestly, I can't tell that much of a difference between the hi on the Thrunite vs the Deree.

However, the modes on the Deree are better spaced than the Thrunite. The med and low on the Thru look almost identical.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I have both and I would say I like the Deree more even though it has less output on high.

Honestly, I can't tell that much of a difference between the hi on the Thrunite vs the Deree.

However, the modes on the Deree are better spaced than the Thrunite. The med and low on the Thru look almost identical.

I just returned a Thrunite for the Dereelight. I had both. I don't want both. BTW, Dereelight XP-G in a 6P is rated over 300 lumens OTF.

Last edited:

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast

We must have different Thrunite drop-ins...my low is 3 lumen and my medium is 120 lumens.