Olight M21 cloudy lens interior

Mnementh

Newly Enlightened
I recently purchased, and received yesterday, an Olight M21 Warrior. It's a great light, and I love how bright it is! The only thing that troubles me is a cloudy looking "film" on the inside of the lens. It's not really visible when the light is off, but is quite visible from an angle when the light is on. I don't know how much light I may be losing because of this, but even if I'm not losing any its bugging me a bit.

Here are some pictures that I uploaded to my website:
http://www.dragonflights.net/pictures/M21/IMG_5817.JPG
http://www.dragonflights.net/pictures/M21/IMG_5818.JPG
http://www.dragonflights.net/pictures/M21/IMG_5819.JPG
http://www.dragonflights.net/pictures/M21/IMG_5820.JPG
http://www.dragonflights.net/pictures/M21/IMG_5823.JPG

I know that I can remove the bezel cover using some strap wrenches. I'm just curious if you think it's worth it for such a minor issue. I'm also wondering if there is any kind of anti reflective coating I would need to be concerned about when cleaning it, and what I should use to clean it if there is.

The other option I have is to contact the seller and arrange for a return and exchange. I hate returning stuff through shipping, though, and avoid it as much as possible. I think it just increases the chances that something goes wrong in transit. (Not to mention the fact that that I'm an impatient little boy who doesn't want to be without his light. :whistle:)

So of my options, which would you do?
A. Do nothing, as it's not hurting the light at all.
B. Return the light because for $120 it should be perfect.
C. Open that sucker up and clean it.

Thanks!

Last edited:

stallion2

Enlightened
is it glued shut? my M20 wasn't but my M30 was. i hate when the mfg glues threads. in any case, if the seal has never been broken then the safe bet is to send it back. just have them do a 'call-tag' w/ UPS or whoever they choose. you've already got the pics to send them clearly showing the problem. even if it was opened and closed that goofy layer on the inside doesn't look like humid air is condensing on the inner lense. if its not glued shut then the easiest approach would be to have them send you a new lense and replace it yourself.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I recently bought a Nitecore EX10 with the same thing. Don't like dirty lenses whatsoever!

Pulled the bezel ring off, wiped it clean and put it back together. Now I'm a happy camper.

So I would choose, C.

Mnementh

Newly Enlightened
is it glued shut? my M20 wasn't but my M30 was. i hate when the mfg glues threads. in any case, if the seal has never been broken then the safe bet is to send it back. just have them do a 'call-tag' w/ UPS or whoever they choose. you've already got the pics to send them clearly showing the problem. even if it was opened and closed that goofy layer on the inside doesn't look like humid air is condensing on the inner lense. if its not glued shut then the easiest approach would be to have them send you a new lense and replace it yourself.

I would venture that is is locktited shut. I've certainly never had it open. It's tight enough that I cannot remove the bezel cap by hand alone, and will need the strap wrenches. (The strike bezel will come off, not the lens cover bezel, I should add.) I've tried using the underside of a mouse pad, but it won't budge, and I don't want to use my regular tools for fear of damaging the finish. If I decide to open it, I'll run to Lowe's tomorrow (or rather today as I've stupidly stayed up FAR too late again!) and pick up the strap wrenches.

Steve'O

Newly Enlightened
I think the problem is caused by the glass not being perfectly cleaned or not cleaned at all prior to the anti-reflective coating being applied.

I have had this problem too on some flashlights and what i do is remove the lens, breath on it to create moisture and polish with a lens cloth or handkerchief.

Do not use lense cleaner as it might fetch the coating off.

Just water vapour and a soft clean cloth is best and you should see a difference after a couple of repeat steps.

Mnementh

Newly Enlightened
I've sent an e-mail to the Olight customer service, seeking their input. If this is covered under the warranty, I think I'll send it back to them. I hate to do it, but I think I've decided that for $120 it should be perfect.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't know the M21, but the M20 are not glued whatsoever, as you can acquire an SMO reflector to swap...

I already had several lights with dirty lenses and I can tell you that I can't stand that at all, even if it doesn't take away much brightness, it's not nice to the eye, period.

I opened all mine that can be opened and cleaned the lenses with a microfiber cloth and vapor. One lens had errors in the coating, couldn't be cleaned, they sent me a new one, perfect now. I still have one that can't be opened, I kept it like it is, don't like to send it overseas for that minor issue, it's a small light.

I would say that it definetely is a reason to send a light back. To do what it's built for correctly, it needs a clean lens!

Olef

Newly Enlightened
Unacceptable on a light of this value. If it was an ebay cheapie then I would clean it but not a full price light. I would advise get it replaced really. At the end of the day you are going to be paying the same price for the flawed one as you would for a perfect sample - why not have the perfect one?

If you did decide to clean it to save the hassle, if it helps the SS bezel on my M21 unscrews and there is no sealer. I didn't go as far as trying to extract the lens though.

HTH

Olef

Mnementh

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so I got a response from Olight asking me to contact the dealer I bought it from for warranty replacement.
I bought through Amazon as I can use a gift card for part of the purchase, then use a credit card for the remainder. The seller was a third party vendor called Axsecure. His reviews were good, so I decided to go for it. Now that Olight had passed the issue to him, I sent him an email through Amazon. He responded a day later.

His response indicated he was confused with what I was complaining about. He told me that all the reflectors of this type of light have the bumps, and are therefore not shiny. I responded back to him telling him my complaint was not about the orange peel reflector, but with the glass lens. I also forwarded the pictures I posted in this thread as well, to visually show him the issue.

He just responded back, telling me that they were all like that.
Now I feel stupid for dealing with a third party vendor on Amazon. :shakehead

Conan

Newly Enlightened
Ok, so I got a response from Olight asking me to contact the dealer I bought it from for warranty replacement.
I bought through Amazon as I can use a gift card for part of the purchase, then use a credit card for the remainder. The seller was a third party vendor called Axsecure. His reviews were good, so I decided to go for it. Now that Olight had passed the issue to him, I sent him an email through Amazon. He responded a day later.

His response indicated he was confused with what I was complaining about. He told me that all the reflectors of this type of light have the bumps, and are therefore not shiny. I responded back to him telling him my complaint was not about the orange peel reflector, but with the glass lens. I also forwarded the pictures I posted in this thread as well, to visually show him the issue.

He just responded back, telling me that they were all like that.
Now I feel stupid for dealing with a third party vendor on Amazon. :shakehead

I'm not too sure but I think you can tell Amazon that the vendor refuses to rectify the situation.

Mnementh

Newly Enlightened
I'm not too sure but I think you can tell Amazon that the vendor refuses to rectify the situation.

I responded back to him telling him, "No, they are not all like that. Just to be clear, I'm not talking about the silver reflector. I'm talking about the glass lens. This lens should be clear, not cloudy."

He responded saying they are all made like that so that the beam will shoot better. He then says if it doesn't work for me to send it back. He'll refund it. He also said I can ask "O Light" and they will tell me the same thing.

I've sent an email to the Olight US office, asking for their input on a warranty repair. (I'm pretty sure my last email to them went to China.) I'll wait to get their response before deciding what to do.

I no longer have the American Express gift card I used in this purchase, so if I go the route of a refund, I'll have to call them and see if it can be put on an amazon credit or something. (I don't keep gift cards after their depleted and I have the item.)

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
sort of looks like my ultra and my quark. both have sort of cloudy lens after running it hot.

i wouldnt care but that's just me.

Mnementh

Newly Enlightened
I've decided to send it back for a refund. Now I just need to decide whether to replace it with another one, or to get a different light.

Steve'O

Newly Enlightened
Don't buy another light through Amazon, i would only purchase books through them.

Conan

Newly Enlightened
Don't buy another light through Amazon, i would only purchase books through them.

I've purchased lots of things from Amazon like flashlights (Olight Christmas Set), batteries and chargers, running shoes, car detailing items, etc., my experience has been worry free and so far no issues with all of the products I have bought to date. But then I have researched the items and the reputation of the sellers thoroughly beforehand.

Mnementh

Newly Enlightened
I did look at his reviews, and they were good. This is honestly the first problem I've yet had with buying from them, even from a third party vendor through them. Also, the cloudiness was only visible if the light was turned on, and I doubt he ever had it turned on. It was a manufacturing process problem. He offered to refund and as long as he does I'll be happy with him.

The only problem I had with him is that he didn't believe me. He's refunding just because I didn't like it, so I'm sure he'll be reselling the light. The next person to get it will get the same problem. If anyone has an M21 handy, could you post a picture with the light on low similar to this one?
http://www.dragonflights.net/pictures/M21/IMG_5880.JPG
Showing, from left to right:
1. $3.00 Rayovac AAA light
2. Fenix PD20
3. Fenix PD30
4 Olight M21

I could, perhaps, supply a picture of what it's supposed to look like for him.

march.brown

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did look at his reviews, and they were good. This is honestly the first problem I've yet had with buying from them, even from a third party vendor through them. Also, the cloudiness was only visible if the light was turned on, and I doubt he ever had it turned on. It was a manufacturing process problem. He offered to refund and as long as he does I'll be happy with him.

The only problem I had with him is that he didn't believe me. He's refunding just because I didn't like it, so I'm sure he'll be reselling the light. The next person to get it will get the same problem. If anyone has an M21 handy, could you post a picture with the light on low similar to this one?
http://www.dragonflights.net/pictures/M21/IMG_5880.JPG
Showing, from left to right:
1. $3.00 Rayovac AAA light
2. Fenix PD20
3. Fenix PD30
4 Olight M21

I could, perhaps, supply a picture of what it's supposed to look like for him.
That looks as though there is a problem with the coating on the lens ... The coating is sort of patchy ... I've had that sort of defect on UV filters , but they were fairly cheap items ... I just threw them out.

Getting a replacement torch might mean that you are getting another with a lens from the same defective batch ... Other suppliers may also have torches with the same fault.

You could always replace the lens yourself if you know the correct diameter.

Mnementh

Newly Enlightened
I shipped the light back to the seller for a refund today. I'm going to replace it with a Tiablo Ace-G. Quite a bit bigger, but the niche I was trying to fill for the M21 was my change a tire in the pitch dark/car light, so I think the Ace-G would fit it better anyway. I'll still buy an M21, though. I loved the light, and the holster for it, as my PD20 fit in the side pouch perfectly!

Mnementh

Newly Enlightened
I bought a replacement M21 from LightJunction, through the Amazon store. I'm happy to report that the lens is clear as can be, and the light is definately brighter than the first one! A comparison shot is here.

:)