Deree DBS SST50

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I can an email from Dereelight last week saying they would have be releasing a DBS SST50 version but haven't heard anything further... anyone else have any news?

Rick

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
OK... so they told me a month ago they'd be here in a few days :(

I just noticed they are up on their website as of today....

Paging Jay to the white courtesy phone... any news?

owner

Newly Enlightened
The specifications of DBS V3 SST-50 3SM should look like:
- SST-50 WJ LED
- 2 x 16340 or with extension tube, 2 x 18650 or 2 x 17670
- Input voltage 4-15V
- LED drive current 2.5A
- 3 output levels (High 100%/Med 50%/Low 5%)
- Maximum brightness 700 lumens

recDNA

Flashaholic
The specifications of DBS V3 SST-50 3SM should look like:
- SST-50 WJ LED
- 2 x 16340 or with extension tube, 2 x 18650 or 2 x 17670
- Input voltage 4-15V
- LED drive current 2.5A
- 3 output levels (High 100%/Med 50%/Low 5%)
- Maximum brightness 700 lumens

Where did you get this? Or is it just your estimate?

jslappa

Enlightened
lovecpf

Glad I can head right to Nainbender's sales thread and buy an SST-50 or SST-90 P60 drop-in. Problem solved.

lovecpf

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
http://www.dereelight.com/dbsv2.htm

It's not on their home page or "what's new" page. Its on the DBS specific page and they are acting like its always been there... just says

Note: DBS V3 all version in stock now...
Features:
    • Cree XP-G R5/MC-E, or SST-50 emitter
the 1 SM is $140 and the 3 SM is $145...

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
lovecpf

Glad I can head right to Nainbender's sales thread and buy an SST-50 or SST-90 P60 drop-in. Problem solved.

lovecpf

Does Nailbender offer a multi-mode SST-50 for the DBS? What do you need to make it work?

FWIW I'd love a 4 mode level SST 50 L/M/H/Turbo where low was in the 5-10 lumen range - would last forever and high was the highest level the light could safely operate at for a long period of time. Turbo to me would be an even higer level that the light could NOT stay on for a long period of time... say a minute or so. For example, because the DBS is much smaller than the Catapult, I doubt it could safely run at the Catapults higest level (w/2 18650's) for very long. But I'm sure it would be "safe" to run it at that level for a minute or so... I'd love to see (OTF #'s) 10 lumens, 80 lumens, 500 lumens w/ the ability to do 800 OTF lumens for 30 second bursts or so...

Just wonderin if Nailbender could make something like that .... :naughty:

flashfiend

Enlightened
Does Nailbender offer a multi-mode SST-50 for the DBS? What do you need to make it work?

FWIW I'd love a 4 mode level SST 50 L/M/H/Turbo where low was in the 5-10 lumen range - would last forever and high was the highest level the light could safely operate at for a long period of time. Turbo to me would be an even higer level that the light could NOT stay on for a long period of time... say a minute or so. For example, because the DBS is much smaller than the Catapult, I doubt it could safely run at the Catapults higest level (w/2 18650's) for very long. But I'm sure it would be "safe" to run it at that level for a minute or so... I'd love to see (OTF #'s) 10 lumens, 80 lumens, 500 lumens w/ the ability to do 800 OTF lumens for 30 second bursts or so...

Just wonderin if Nailbender could make something like that .... :naughty:

I believe he can give you three levels with SOS and strobe either regulated or direct drive. Regulated has been tested by BigC for about 500 OTF in a DBS and no one has tested a DD in a DBS as of yet although I am very happy with mine and I believe it was brighter (IMHO) than the regulated I had before it. 800 OTF is not very realistic in such a small host when you factor in heat from the LED and resistance in the overall setup (wires, switch, etc.). Contact nailbender himself for clarification.

owner

Newly Enlightened
Where did you get this? Or is it just your estimate?
It is being sold in China. I got the specifications from a Chinese flashlight forum.
Here are the photos of the pill and reflector:
28555372.jpg

93709511.jpg

Look at the label on the reflector. The input voltage should be 3.4-15V.

Last edited:

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
C'mon guys! Isn't anyone else excited about this light! :p

Jay said he might have these in today ... I'm curious how it compares to Lumapowers signature VX tactical with turbohead...

jcw122

Enlightened
It's not that exciting because it doesn't seem all that different than what is already out. I'm considering buying a large light (2x1xxxx and 500-700+ lumens) but nothing out right now is very different from it's competitors...and that bores me to death.

flashfiend

Enlightened
nailbender has had this option and then some available for quite some time now. I think people would be more excited if it used a driver that pushed more than 2.5A to the LED. Otherwise there is nothing new about it other than it being Dereelight brand. The higher voltage range may be interesting but I'm not looking to make this light bigger to add another battery.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
^^^word!

NB also has tint options and single mode 2.8 A versions.

and DD though its probably only brighter on DD for a min or
so before it gets hot and inefficient.

Ive got the 5700k 3mode and kinda want the 4500 now..

maybe someone will send the deere version to BIG C?

Id like to see an SST blowout between supasize nailbender and
deerelight!

stallion2

Enlightened
lovecpf

lovecpf

its not quite that simple...you'll have to drill the reflector to make enough room for the dome. you could remove the dome as an alternative, some people say it improves throw but it's not that noticeable from what i've seen.

Flashcrazy mentioned to me a few weeks back that Dereelight was going w/ an SST-50, DBS light and that they are also looking at a larger head to better manage the SST-50's heat. i'm not sure if they are planning on producing both of these formats but got the impression that a larger head w/ the SST-50 was pretty well a guaranteed.

i was never that happy w/ my DBS + XP-G setup i purchased so i finally bored the reflector open enough to accept an SST-50 2.8A single mode from NB. the performance is amazing. the hotspot is massive...i mean MASSIVE and very bright. it's kinda like a wider angle Catapult that weighs far less.

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
its not quite that simple...you'll have to drill the reflector to make enough room for the dome. you could remove the dome as an alternative, some people say it improves throw but it's not that noticeable from what i've seen.

You could also purchase the reflector for the XRE and the SST-50 fits nicely.
;)