The more I own, the less I feel I have

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it just me, or the more expensve flashlights I have and the more I feel I'm missing lights?

Last year at around the same date I took all my lights out and took a picture of all of them lying on the floor in the living room, turned on and facing the same direction. At that time, I could fill the space between the television and the couch. I recently took all my lights out and it seems I have much less... Granted, I don't count laser pointers and light sticks anymore (never used them anyway) I gave 3 lights away, took the batteries out of three and put them in a drawer by themselves, but I bought at least 10 flashlights since then and it seems I have even less. Fortunately all my "good" lights are still here and in greater numbers, but it really feels like I have less lights than last year! Am I the only one?

hk dave

Newly Enlightened
Dude, when you're a flashaholic, you always have one light less...and never enough batteries.

:(

I said to myself when I bought my last flashlight, "Ok... this is my last one... this is getting out of hand... and I have WAYYY too many flashlights... it's actually pretty silly. I've used up just about every excuse and reason to get another flashlight."

Then my buddy sent me an email of his new Fenix TK12.... and then i remembered I don't have a medium sized flashlight that uses 18650 cells...

I guess I could use just ONNNEEEE more.

It never ends.

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
i just bought a Q5 single cr123 light even the the emitter is WAY outdated because i HAD to have one with a magnetic base...how could you not? I still need an EX10, the rest of the Quark line, and the new maelstroms..and many many more...

andyw513

Enlightened
I got the same problem...except with modifications. There are never enough mods to have. As a matter of fact, the last three lights I bought only got purchased because there were mods available for them. My EDC L2 has 3 mods right now, to be honest.

But there are never "just enough" lights in my collection. Just the same as there are never "just enough" guns in my safe, I guess the price to pay for being a collector is always having "almost" everything.

Now to just sit and wait for my second WF-500 to come in...

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am into quality vs. quantity. Once I got into McGizmo's, THAT has cut down drastically on buying any other lights. I don't WANT any other lights.

umc

Enlightened
My concern is that I keep buying "better" lights than the ones prior. For example, I have a bunch of Surefire icans that I really have no use for but I don't want to sell them. On top of that I can't even come close to using all of the lights I have so whats the point?

It's a sickness I tell ya.

Oh wait, you already knew that.:)

Weird...

OCD

Enlightened
I know the feeling...just OONNEEE more! I got my Quark 2*AA Turbo around Christmas and that started it. I found the Maratac AAA and had to have it. My wife let it be an early birthday present. :party: I told myself this would satisfy me for a while. Had a decent all-around light with the Quark and a nice EDC in my Maratac. OOOOhhhh no! I found the Jetbeam RRT-0 and have been drooling and obsessing over it ever since...I will probably be ordering it soon - my birthday present to MYSELF! :devil: I've also decided to mod my m@glite 2D that is going into my wife's car. I wan't to do the mod almost as much as getting the Jetbeam and even have plans on buying another 2D to do ANOTHER mod if I like the outcome of the 1st...just so I have one too! :shakehead

Once again, I have told myself, after the RRT-0 and m@g mods, that would be it for awhile.

Gee, those Ra lights look pretty nice....aaaaaaaahhhhhhhh! STOP THE MADNESS! :banghead:

OCDGearhead

Newly Enlightened
You better leave this place post haste Cataract, 'cause it's just plain evil:devil:.

Have you started telling your significant other that all the lights that keep arriving (as she rolls her eyes) are really just "trades"?

Until then you really don't have a problem, just keep telling yourself it's a harmless hobby and you are not obsessed & prone to compulsive behaviour.

And you don't line all your light up on the floor for fun & get a feeling of reassurance (accompanied by a mild tingle up the leg), you're just doing inventory....;)

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
The better ones kind of float to the top while the older lesser ones just fade away, or at least sink to the bottom of the drawer.

Geoff

umc

Enlightened
Have you started telling your significant other that all the lights that keep arriving (as she rolls her eyes) are really just "trades"?

This is a great idea, thanks. I could have used it a few weeks ago but will need it for sure in a week or so. :p

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am into quality vs. quantity. Once I got into McGizmo's, THAT has cut down drastically on buying any other lights. I don't WANT any other lights.

Ditto...my "other lights" are thinning out...but my number of SF's has grown...I thought I'd stop at my L1 3 years ago...then I got an L4...now I'm at 24 and counting...with two more on the way :mecry:. I'm telling myself now the M4 is the last light I want...but I said that about my M6 a year ago...and then when all these new ones coming out...E2L-AA, Stratum, LX1...ARRGHHH...

nbp

Flashaholic
Don't flame me for saying this, because my very post here is evidence of the fact that I enjoy this forum and have spent a fair amount of time reading and learning here, but.....

We want the things we see. If you look at something long enough, you will find a reason to have it, to justify having it. So, spending time here on CPF, seeing all the new lights and all the cool lights others have will invariably make you want more and newer and better lights. It's a fact. And seeing someone else with umpteen dozen lights to your two dozen lights will only make you feel as though you really aren't so bad compared to that guy...

If you really want to feel satisfied with the lights you have and not obsess over the ones you don't have, you need to spend less time surfing CPF and poring over every page on the 4Sevens website and designing your next Milky mod, and go focus on something else for awhile. Take a month off and see how you feel.

Hey, just saying! Now if only I could take a bit of my own advice :whistle:
Actually I remedy obsessive purchasing by being a broke college student. :broke:

(And no offense to Milky, I love my ML4. :grin2:)

umc

Enlightened
Don't flame me for saying this, because my very post here is evidence of the fact that I enjoy this forum and have spent a fair amount of time reading and learning here, but.....

We want the things we see. If you look at something long enough, you will find a reason to have it, to justify having it. So, spending time here on CPF, seeing all the new lights and all the cool lights others have will invariably make you want more and newer and better lights. It's a fact. And seeing someone else with umpteen dozen lights to your two dozen lights will only make you feel as though you really aren't so bad compared to that guy...

If you really want to feel satisfied with the lights you have and not obsess over the ones you don't have, you need to spend less time surfing CPF and poring over every page on the 4Sevens website and designing your next Milky mod, and go focus on something else for awhile. Take a month off and see how you feel.

Hey, just saying! Now if only I could take a bit of my own advice :whistle:
Actually I remedy obsessive purchasing by being a broke college student. :broke:

(And no offense to Milky, I love my ML4. :grin2:)

I totally agree with the above. The problem for me is that I will leave this forum at some point for a while but it just means my focus has changed to one of my other hobbies and I'll be hanging out in those forums 24/7 and spending thousands of dollars on that hobby.

It's not just a sickness with flashlights..............:crazy:

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Hmm, less is more. I will have less soon. I've finally settled on the torch I need and I'll keep a couple of spares for just in case, then the rest of em can get out of town. I'd like to go from twenty odd down to four.