Surefire G2L vs. G2L-FYL Fire Rescue

freq18hz

Newly Enlightened
To anyone who has handled both, I have a few questions:

Besides the included diffusors, lanyard, and click on tail cap, is there any other differences between these two lights?

Is this Fire Rescue version just as durable as the G2L?

Is the click on only tail cap as reliable on the G2L-FYL as the regular G2L? Does it have a lockout feature?

Can the neon yellow lanyard be purchased separately?

-Freq

Last edited:

freq18hz

Newly Enlightened
Ooops, thought I posted this in LED lights. Can a mod move it for me? Thanks!

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Besides the included diffusors, lanyard, and click on tail cap, is there any other differences between these two lights?

The G2L-FYL is MIL-STD-810 rated for explosive environments. The G2L-FYL comes with some reflective stickers as well. If you don't need the rating or the extra accessories, then the G2L would seem like your best bet.

Is this Fire Rescue version just as durable as the G2L?

I would say so...if not more durable.

Is the click on only tail cap as reliable on the G2L-FYL as the regular G2L? Does it have a lockout feature?

The reliability of "clickie" TailCaps is, and has been, a topic for another thread. SureFire has redesigned their click-on/off TailCap switches at least once to improve reliability. I have faith in their reliability. Whether or not that are more reliable than other switches is probably impossible to say for certain without a very large sample to test or access to SureFire's returns information.

The TailCap can be locked-out, yes.

Not that I'm aware of, but you can always try calling SureFire. The worst they can say is "no".

Regards,
Tempest

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast

The G2D is multi mode (3 modes 115, 60 & 15 lumens)

The G2L-FYD is a single mode (80 lumens)

You can find those for sale at the Marketplace

freq18hz

Newly Enlightened
Two more questions:

Is the reflective surface on the Fire Rescue G2L version able to be scratched off? Are they stickers, or a printed surface?

Also, is the click tailcap as reliable as the twist one?

I've got a G2L black in hand already, but am tempted to return it for the fire rescue version as it comes with a lanyard, and seems like it would be harder to lose on a dark trail/campsite.

-Freq

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two more questions:

Is the reflective surface on the Fire Rescue G2L version able to be scratched off? Are they stickers, or a printed surface?

They're stickers, and they're not applied to the light when you get it. They're supplied on a sheet, so you needn't apply them if you don't want to.

Also, is the click tailcap as reliable as the twist one?

Again, it's hard to say without an extensive test of a representative sample. I wouldn't worry about the reliability of either.

I've got a G2L black in hand already, but am tempted to return it for the fire rescue version as it comes with a lanyard, and seems like it would be harder to lose on a dark trail/campsite.

The lanyard is quite useful. It's longer than the Z33 or Z34, so you can wear it around your neck and still have the light hanging inside your pocket. The combination of the stickers and the bright yellow body (much brighter than the G2L-YL body) would make it very easy to spot.

Regards,
Tempest

freq18hz

Newly Enlightened
It would seem then that the fire rescue is a better deal for hiking/camping then. The regular G2 at $69 USD + $15 lanyard comes out to be the same price as the Fire Rescue version, and that version is much more visable.

I have to say though, I really prefer the twist tail cap, as I think it would probably be more durable.

-Freq

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would seem then that the fire rescue is a better deal for hiking/camping then. The regular G2 at $69 USD + $15 lanyard comes out to be the same price as the Fire Rescue version, and that version is much more visable.

I have to say though, I really prefer the twist tail cap, as I think it would probably be more durable.

-Freq

If you really don't like the clicky, just keep the G2 LED as the G2L FYD is similar except for the yellow body, lanyard system and a clicky tailcap. Also not sure about your local dealer, but the Z33 Lanyard System MSRP is only $13

freq18hz

Newly Enlightened
Yeah the only thing is, the lanyard system they sell doesn't come in any colors. I guess I'lll just go for the fire rescue version.

-Freq

umc

Enlightened
When did they come out with that G2D? I haven't seen that before and it looks interesting.

I currently have a Surefire G2L with a Malkoff M60L in it on my fire helmet and love that setup as it's simple and easy to use. Even though the G2D looks interesting and I may have to consider it I think trying to go through the modes would be a pain in the but, when I need light I need it now and I need it to be simple and quick.

I get a longer runtime with my Malkoff as well so that is something to consider...

Hmmmm

freq18hz

Newly Enlightened
since its the same cash either way, what would you guys rather have?

G2L + lanyard = $85

or G2L-FYL fire rescue = $85

-Freq

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Between my 6PL, G2, and G2D-FYL, I can basically lego together either of those combinations.

To be completely honest, if you have ruled out the incand G2, I would get a G2D-FYL over either of those if you can afford it. I personally hate the blueish beam of the P60L assembly that comes in the G2L/G2L-FYL. On the other hand, the beam tint on my G2D-FYL is pretty decent. The G2D-FYL is a pretty impressive light with it's 3-modes, fluorescent body, larger reflector, and clicky tailcap. By the way, I feel that the hight mode it much higher than the stated 115 lumens.

If the choice must be between G2L and G2L-FYL, it just comes down to your personal preference as to what color body and tailcap style you want. :)

-Robert

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
is there a disadvantage to the clicky tail cap?

-Freq

I don't really think so. Years ago there were some problems with some of SF's clicky tailcaps, but that has long since been resolved. SureFire's clicky tailcaps are regarded on CPF as being some of the very best available.

From a simplicity=reliability standpoint, the standard twisty SF tailcap would be about the best though. I have many SF lights with both styles of tailcap. On a multimode light I would say that having the clicky is pretty important, but for a single mode light, I think the twist-on tailcap is just fine.

With that being said, once you own a SF clicky, I think you will be disappointed when you try other clicky tailcaps from a lot of other companies. IMO, SF's has the best feeling clicky tailcap I've ever tried.

-Robert

freq18hz

Newly Enlightened
Anyone else care to chime in one which light they were prefer?

The G2 LED vs the G2 LED fire/rescue light?

Also: Looking at SF website, they list the G2 LED as having a 12 hour run time, but the G2L-FYL says 3-6 hour run time. Anyone know whats up with that?

-Freq

Last edited:

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone else care to chime in one which light they were prefer?

The G2 LED vs the G2 LED fire/rescue light?

Also: Looking at SF website, they list the G2 LED as having a 12 hour run time, but the G2L-FYL says 3-6 hour run time. Anyone know whats up with that?

-Freq

There have been many discussions about this in the past, here on CPF. On the G2L, SureFire is stating runtime until it nearly doesn't light anymore. On the G2L-FYL, the runtime listed is more representative of full-brightness before the output starts to decline. Both lights will have the same runtime since they both us the P60L LED lamp assembly. If I recall correctly, the P60L on 2xCR123 should maintain brightness for about 2-3 hours and then gradually dim to around the 11-12 hour mark. If you do a search, some fellow CPF members have posted runtime graphs in the past.

-Robert