Quark Regular 123 vs. 123x2

umc

Enlightened
Hey all,

I have both of these lights and they're both rated at .2 lumens on the low end but the 2 cell version is a ton brighter on moonlight mode than the single cell is..

What's up with that?

Has anyone else noticed this?

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you comparing beams, or actually doing a ceiling bounce test? If comparing beams, the brighter looking of the two may be the older R2 version. It will look brighter at "technically" the same brightness, because of the smaller, more intense die in the LED (XP-E vs. XP-G). The brighter version may also have a lower forward voltage, allowing for greater efficiency, and therefore more output at a similar current.

The light may also be putting out more than .2 lumens...

umc

Enlightened
I am doing a ceiling bounce. They are both the newer emitters. I think it's the difference between the 2 cell and 1 cell as both of the single cells that I have out of the box are similar. I know the 2 cell is a little brighter on turbo and would understand if that was the case for all modes but it's advertised as the same on lower modes so I was a little surprised to see them so far off.

Does anyone have both that can compare or comment?

Nake

Flashlight Enthusiast
I checked my R5 123x2 tactical against an R5 123 regular in my lightbox. The tac showed .20lm and the regular .14lm. Not that much difference in my two.

edit; I used AW 123s in both lights.

Last edited:

tsmccull

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

I have both of these lights and they're both rated at .2 lumens on the low end but the 2 cell version is a ton brighter on moonlight mode than the single cell is..

What's up with that?

Has anyone else noticed this?

You absolutely positive you've got them both set to moonlight? No chance the brighter one may be on low instead, is there?

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a high voltage xpg r5 and a low voltage xre q3 (neutral tint) so its not an even comparision... however... I'd say they are about even at the .2 lumens, reguardless of power supply I put in either.
Just my 0.02lumens.

umc

Enlightened
You absolutely positive you've got them both set to moonlight? No chance the brighter one may be on low instead, is there?

Yes, I'm sure. There isn't that big of a difference of a moonlight and low but it's a noticeable difference between the two.

umc

Enlightened
I checked my R5 123x2 tactical against an R5 123 regular in my lightbox. The tac showed .20lm and the regular .14lm. Not that much difference in my two.

edit; I used AW 123s in both lights.

Thanks, that makes sense. I tuned my RA Clicky to the .23 level and that was pretty close to the 123x2 from what I could tell so it would seem that the regular 123 is lower than the stated .2 but with no real way to measure them I don't know for sure whats what.