Help deciding on EDC light for sister

thepinched

Newly Enlightened
So my younger sister is going off to college this fall and I want to get her something that will be useful for her. this will be useful for night classes for sure. my dilemma is that i am not sure i can really appreciate lumen strength.

i have really taken an interest in the Fenix E01 and the ITP 3A EOS (standard and upgrade). maybe someone could help by giving me an idea of how much light strength each one has in the real world. looking at pictures is fairly abstract. but ideally if she will be using it on her way to the parking deck or similar...how much light does she need? i'll probably get one for my mom too...can't hurt for her to have one.

i don't mind spending a bit, but i want to keep this within reason (up to $30).

thanks.

Last edited:

duboost

Enlightened
Re: Helping deciding on EDC light for sister

I'd pick the A3 over the E01 in this case. It is much brighter and has multiple modes, while I like my E01, if there is any ambient light from buildings, street lamps, etc the E01 really won't provide much useful light.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Helping deciding on EDC light for sister

I own an E01 and its useful only when there isn't much ambient light i.e. streetlamps and such. I dont own the iTp but i do own an LD01 and that is pretty darn useful with its 3 modes but above your budget.

I'd think that a 1xAA light might be handier for longer runtimes, easier to hold, not so likely to be dropped and lost. Do you have a budget for the light? I'd think you would want to stick to either AAs or AAAs for their ease of replacement.

If i might humbly suggest, if you don't want to go above $30, check out the AA lights at shiningbeam and dont forget the "CPFuser" discount code when checking out.

I'd be quite interested in the ITP A2 EOS ($24.95 before discount), the Romisen RC 29 II and the ITP SA1 ($39.95 before discount, just $10 over your budget) if i didnt already have a few too many lights.

On that note, i was also eying the new Zebralight AAs and the Eagletacs, Quarks, Olights etc etc. Sigh, so many lights, not enough money :(

Still, have a look around before deciding, there are many great choices available, just figure out what features you need then look for one with as many as possible that doesnt make you blow your budget, but if its for your sister, why not just spend a little more and have peace of mind knowing that she will have a good light that will not fail her? Get some contributions from other family members, friends.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are you sure a AAA light is best for them? I think a AA light might be good too, unless you really think they need to keychain it. If so, I also agree that you should go for the itp. The E01 is great, but I think they might need/want more light.

BlueMarble

Newly Enlightened
My suggestion would be a 4Sevens Preon, 4Sevens Quark Mini AA, or Fenix LD01.

The 4Sevens Preon is probably the best value in a light that I can think of and it comes in red, yellow, blue, black, or titanium. You can probably find it for just barely over $30. It is incredibly bright for a AAA light and is simple to carry all the time.

DSC08686.JPG

Noctis

Enlightened
Honestly, I doubt she needs more than 5-15 lumens, which is easily gotten with a cheap Walmart LED light. Best of all, it's keychain size for the 5 lumens(mine anyways).

It also depends on the amount of ambient light. If it's pitch-black, 5 lumens seems adequate for me. If there's some faraway streetlamps, 15 lumens would be great.

If you're entertaining the idea of keeping creeps away from her, get her a keychain/eletronic whistle. Somehow I don't see it as likely that a GIRL would ever think about trying to shine a light in someone's eyes(not that it would be all that effective unless you shell out for a $200 custom light). It's like talking about girls with switchblades, I just can't get that image into my head.

Mnementh

Newly Enlightened
I'd recommend the ITP A3 EOS. I have the upgraded model, and am planning on buying another in the standard soon. It's an amazing amount of light for a AAA, and gets used daily at work. It's small enough that it will fit on her keychain without getting in the way, so she won't have to fumble around for it in her purse when she needs it.

Gordo

Newly Enlightened
+1 on duboost's comments. The only other 1AAA I own is a RiverRock that has less output than the E01.
Upgrade the keychain interface. That lasted about two days.

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
ITP Eos A2 (AA) or A3 upgraded (AAA), depending on whether size is critical. Either way, for less than $25 they will have flashlights that will do everything they need it to do.

thepinched

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for all the great feedback.

I think I was leaning towards something she could put on her keychain so that it would be always accessible as she's already probably walking with it close in hand while getting to the car. i think other uses are probably just walking around campus or in case of a road side issue until AAA shows up.

but yes...i have bought her a whistle for safety as well. i guess it's one from REI for search and rescue.

the Preon 1 looks interesting too...does it have a keychain loop?

the itc 3A seems like a good contender.

thanks!

joe1512

Enlightened
For the itp A3 EOS , I recommend using the Energizer AAA L92 Ultimate Lithium (not advanced lithium). It will run a lot longer than an alkaline at higher current draws without leaking. They are 5 bucks for a 4 pack and are pretty easy to find at home depot, frys, etc.

zs&tas

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a fenix LD01 on my keys, i hardly notice its there but i use it all the time at work, its plenty bright if needed and i feel has a good bomb proof feel to it, unlike some of the lights out there.

mfm

Enlightened
Forget the Preon etc, iTP A3 is the only choice for keychain lights (A3 is smaller, brighter and half the price).

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Another + for the ITP A3 EOS and it is available in girly colours.As other posters have said the Fenix EO1 would be not so good with other light sources around,not everyone likes the sequence of medium-low-high but in reality I now prefer it because for my work needs low is to low and medium is ideal for me with the added bonus of having a blast of good 80 lumens if needed on high.

For the price it really is a good light and I intend to buy some of the coloured ones just because I find it a really nice light.

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
i like my itp eos a3. (keychain)
i like my ipt eos a3 SS as in stainless (by the bed)
my mom likes her itp eos a3. (purse)
my co worker likes her itp eos a3. (keychain)
my coworker likes his ipt eos a3 (keychain/lanyard)
my friend likes his itp eos a3. (keychain)
my friend likes his itp eos a3 SS. (pocket)

and my sister loves her itp eos a3 SS. (jacket zipper/purse)

yep. thats all of them.. i thinkit is worth its price and fame.

the A2 (the AA version) would be ok option too, mostly for more runtime and even more common battery type. BUT this AA version starts from low and a3 starts with medium. and in my mind. its a handicap. (one reason why i didnt buy one)

handicap (edit: not to me myself as i prefer to start from lowest low and ramp up )but most "normal" people dont need more light than the medium output. and many tasks the low output is too little.. i think for normal people all they need is simple way to turn it on and get some output.

and i bet some of the people above dont remember that there is more than one output in the light i gave/sold to them. even if i gave them quick rundown how to operate it. they just dont need more or dont care.

my advice follows others here. get her the itp eos a3 upgraded, 4 lithium AAA batteries. and get one for yourself also. :)

(also one option is to buy her something slightly bigger along with the itp, to serve as backup or "spare" around the house. romisen g2 from dx for 12$)

Last edited:

thepinched

Newly Enlightened
I think the itp a3 is the way i'm going. i was looking at the preon and fenix ld01, but for the size and price I think she'll be happiest with the smaller one. and she likes purple so that way she'll use it.

also i ruled out the fenix e01 for the fact that it might be too little light output...good feedback guys.

thanks a lot...i will pick up one for myself too :)

i was looking to pick them up at goinggear.com...is there any place else you guys would recommend shopping at instead?

lightsandknives

Enlightened
I think the itp a3 is the way i'm going. i was looking at the preon and fenix ld01, but for the size and price I think she'll be happiest with the smaller one. and she likes purple so that way she'll use it.

also i ruled out the fenix e01 for the fact that it might be too little light output...good feedback guys.

thanks a lot...i will pick up one for myself too :)

i was looking to pick them up at goinggear.com...is there any place else you guys would recommend shopping at instead?

That's where I got mine and was very happy with the service and speed of shipping. I bought 1 for me, and 1 for a friend. 2 happy campers! They really are great little lights. I'm trying to fight off the urge to get a Ti one!

jabe1

Flashlight Enthusiast
First, make sure she will actually use a light.I had trouble getting my 18yr old daughter to understand the whole EDC light thing, even though she witnessed how handy they are. I think EDCing a light had too much of a geek factor to it... until she saw the lime green Icon Rogue " now that is a cool light", her exact words. And it's the same color as her cell phone. :rolleyes:
Right now she's in Pretoria RSA doing missions training, and tells me it's with her at all times. :thumbsup:

Latest posts