Rain Rain Go Away

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
With the snow melt, and the rain, more rain, more rain, and more more more more rain, if you don't have a sump pump in your basement, everyone's is flooded. The most rain we have had here in CT in >50 years.

We have a mesh cover on the pool, and normally I have to pump off 1-2 times between fall and spring opening. I'm now going on the 9th pumping. Each time I remove about 6-7 inches of water. We are in the middle of another 5-6" of rain now.

I'm getting pretty good at hooking up the electrical cord in the rain without having a shocking experience. :tinfoil:

boulder

Newly Enlightened
I am right there with you Lux. I live in RI and I am SO sick of this rain. Good thing we are flashaholics incase the power goes out :)

compasillo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think TMG may wanted to say "Rehydration"... ;)

It's been also the most rainy season in Spain and Europe for the last 50 years...

vali

Enlightened
t's been also the most rainy season in Spain and Europe for the last 50 years...

In Spain as a whole, because there was a lot of rain in the south. Here, in the "green spain" it was a rainy winter, but not an unusual one. The year we got more rain in the recent history was the 2000. Two rivers near my home were about 10 meters higher than usual that year, but there was almost no houses affected (you are not allowed to build houses where the water can reach and locals will not do it even if that was allowed).

But yes, it seems this year was wetter in almost every place in the world (at least where the news care to cover).

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, this rain here is pretty intense. Got a few roof leaks; my gutters apparently aren't up to snuff...

Usually, in Connecticut anyway, we get a snowstorm or two of decent magnitude in March as winter's last hurrah. Hmm, 6" of rain would equal... what, about 3 feet of snow?!

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's called ... Global Dehydration .

Kinda like Global Warming ... and why this past winter was so COLD !

go figure

I think you missed the part where I said it has been raining.

I think TMG may wanted to say "Rehydration"... ;) ....... snip

Ha ha ... L_O_L :crackup:

No .... I meant the opposite of what's happening

I named it as Global Dehydration

As in : Global Warming .... we had a cold winter

As I said ................ Go Figure :nana:

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Oh it was surreptitious irony. I missed it. Go figure.

I emptied 6 inches out of the pool last night. This morning, it is overflowing again. That means it replaced that 6 and added another 2-3. Way more than the weather forecasts claim. I'm glad God invented sump pumps in his spare time.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just called my wife, and she said that we're dry in the basement. She knew it was so because she had been in the kitchen for a few hours and hadn't heard the sump pump click on! :eek::eek: So, either we are dry....or there is two feet of water down there, right? I ask her, calmly, to go look in the basement to see how it's looking.

WHEW! No water. We are right across the street from a flood control area, and apparently the water hasn't reached the road. If it does, our basement starts right about that level.

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Just called my wife, and she said that we're dry in the basement. She knew it was so because she had been in the kitchen for a few hours and hadn't heard the sump pump click on! :eek::eek: So, either we are dry....or there is two feet of water down there, right? I ask her, calmly, to go look in the basement to see how it's looking.

WHEW! No water. We are right across the street from a flood control area, and apparently the water hasn't reached the road. If it does, our basement starts right about that level.

Finally! Now we know the answer to that age old idiom: "Why did the water cross the road?"

Answer: "To get into Smokelaw's basement."

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast
LOL. We've been lucky so far, and have been dry since we moved to thtis house about three years ago. The old place (just a few miles away) flooded twice. Once when the sump pump died, and once when SOMEONE forgot to plug it back in. (that someone has yet to admit it.)

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Minor flooding in one room downstairs, but only because I didn't turn on the pumps in the window wells in time. On the downside, I'm constantly going to the bathroom with all this rain. Something about the sound of water which puts my bladder into overdrive whenever it rains heavily.

goldenlight

Enlightened
I'm in Minnesota, and for the first time **since 1885**, when they stared keeping records, there has been NO SNOW. That's 125 YEARS!!

NO SNOW IN MARCH IN MINNESOTA!!

The ground here is SO DRY, there are grass and brush fires DAILY; mostly from idiots throwing lit cigarettes from their cars.

The average temperature for March 30th is 49F, and it's supposed to get up to 70F degrees today!

All that will do is make the risk of fires that much worse!

I wish we would get some rain, so things would green up. If we don't, it's only a matter of time until there is a REALLY BAD fire; mostly they have been pretty small, so far.

Last edited:

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah, we have been getting a ton of rain here in MA. I am on the Cape.

sledhead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Rained all day yesterday and today here in Jersey! 22 inches of water in my cellar and I've been pumping for a month! Only had water in my basement once in "91" and I've been here 50 years!

We have a farm and needless to say things are way behind.

I did love all the blizzards we had this year though! 59 inches of snow!