The Ultimate Titanium AAA Penlight

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't deny that it's BEAUTIFUL and timely to make !

But honestly ..... would you pay THAT much for a pen light ?

If you LOST it , would you offer a reward for it's return ?
Would you staple up picture reward posters on telephone poles ?
How many days would you stay home from work ........... looking for it ?
Would you list it in your Will ...... How much would Inheritance Tax be on that ?

I'd go for GOLD or PLATINUM at THAT price level !

Is that the Government price ............... like ... for a hammer ?

Last edited:

richardcpf

Flashlight Enthusiast
That prize is crazy...

The fact that it is "custom" doesn't justify the 650 price tag, some guy tries to get rich by selling titanium bodied fenix branded flashlights. :shakehead Titanium is pretty common these days, look at the price of the titanium quarks.

The same guy is also selling one precision screw driver for 65 bucks. You could buy 13 high quality sets for that price.

Still, I'm sure some one is :paypal:'ing, right now.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
The preons don't have that sorta work on them mind you :thumbsup:

That's a lot of hours of precision work!

HKJ

Flashaholic
That prize is crazy...

The fact that it is "custom" doesn't justify the 650 price tag, some guy tries to get rich by selling titanium bodied fenix branded flashlights. :shakehead Titanium is pretty common these days, look at the price of the titanium quarks.

Custom titanium lights are rather expensive.
The fact that it uses a Fenix driver is not a minus in my book, the driver from LD05 can keep stable output from 1.5 volt and up.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Custom titanium lights are rather expensive.

True.

But when something like a Ti Preon exists, it's tough to justify going the custom route. Especially since it'll not only be cheaper, but brighter too. Certainly not as fancy. But the point is you can own a Ti penlight for much less. It'll be brighter. You don't have to wait for the custom artist to finish creating it. (Yes, I know about the one annoying issue with Ti Preon lights. But it's a minor one to me.)

With all the money you'll save, you can spend it on other lights . . . and you can still show off by pulling out a genuine titanium penlight from your pocket.

don.gwapo

Enlightened
Heck I can buy 10 preon ti for that price and give the 9 to my close ones. I even make 9 happy people for that.

HKJ

Flashaholic
But when something like a Ti Preon exists, it's tough to justify going the custom route. Especially since it'll not only be cheaper, but brighter too. Certainly not as fancy. But the point is you can own a Ti penlight for much less. It'll be brighter. You don't have to wait for the custom artist to finish creating it. (Yes, I know about the one annoying issue with Ti Preon lights. But it's a minor one to me.)

The Preon is brighter, but the light output is not stabilized, but depends on the battery voltage.
Comparing price on a mass produced item and a custom light will always be in favor of the mass produced one, but some people prefer the custom.
Will I buy this light? No, but my favorite AAA light is a $200 custom light.

carrot

Flashaholic
Well, I, for one, am not going to say something bad about a custom maker, especially one whose work I have never even handled and especially one who frequents this board.

But I will say I find it hard to justify buying an expensive custom light when it does not use CR123s, so this light is not for me. However, it is beautiful, and I am sure whomever chooses to buy one will be a very happy customer.

Moka

Enlightened
I'm with Carrot on this one... Fantastic light, not in my price range... But Man I'd love to own one...
Looking at his other stuff makes me :drool: as well...
Awesome stuff Tom! :twothumbs

easilyled

Flashaholic
These lights are works of art. They are not the same as mass manufactured lights. They are rare objects of beauty.

If you don't think you can justify the price, that's a personal opinion and a valid one.
For those who feel that the price is justified because of the beauty and rarity, its also a personal opinion and an equally valid one.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
The Preon is brighter, but the light output is not stabilized, but depends on the battery voltage.
Comparing price on a mass produced item and a custom light will always be in favor of the mass produced one, but some people prefer the custom.
Will I buy this light? No, but my favorite AAA light is a $200 custom light.

I'd honestly rather have one of his two-tone Ti pens. Not just about price or being rare. There's a 3rd element . . . I tend to go the custom route if there's something I want that either doesn't exist from a Production company, or something I can't improvise myself to a standard of quality I prefer.