Oh God what have Maglite done?

U

user1016

I'll tell you. They've just gone ahead and ruined their design (in my opinion.)

I purchased this off ebay -> http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190311903011&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT hoping that it would be one of the plain vanilla MagLED minis.

I was wrong.

I know I've got a rep for having a whinge, but this "new generation Maglite" pissed me off.

For a starters, it's bigger. Not much bigger, but just big enough that I cannot get replacement parts in my country in case.

Not only that, but the tailcap does not even have a lanyard-ring! I really don't see why they'd remove it?

The magled also rattles about, the spring keeps falling out no matter what I do to get it in there.

But the one thing that annoyed me is the new "light switch" mode which I find to be the stupidest addition. I wanted just a torch I could turn on and know that it will work every time, instead I got this torch where I have to turn the head 4 times in order to get the mode I want (just plain full brightness mode). I wasn't told in the auction that I was getting something that had a so called "strobe" which is more like a 3 second blink, and an extremely dull mode. I have a Solitaire for "keyfinding and low power usage" as it is, and I don't need a blinking strobe as I could do that manually and easily. If you were in an emergency situation (ie something moves in the bushes) and you needed a light like RIGHT away, what if you pulled it out and you were twisting the bloody thing and it was bumming around on strobe, low power, another strobe, fade mode, then finally when it's too late, full light.

For a starters, if I wanted to "strobe" or "blink" it, I'd simply turn it on and off, much like the Maglite D cells "signal mode".

The only good things I have noticed:

* Comes with a neat little holster

* Bright LED

That's about it, but the bads outweigh the goods and I'm going to contact the ebay seller and get a refund. All I paid for was a plain vanilla torch, but instead, I got the "Australian Government" treatment, which was, they tell you one thing, everyone says no, then they go and give you a whole new set of laws and rules (ie internet censorship) everyone says no, then they pass it and say "Trust us, you'll like it".

Does anyone here know where I can get one of the old style magLED minis in black (that will ship to Australia)?

lumenal

Enlightened
Well I'm confused... :confused:

Your link is to the original "plain vanilla" 2AA Mini MagLED.

Yet you describe the new multi-mode Rebel minimag, which does come on at 100% (high mode) first. Hmmm... :thinking:

U

user1016

Well I'm confused... :confused:

Your link is to the original "plain vanilla" 2AA Mini MagLED.

Yet you describe the new multi-mode Rebel minimag, which does come on at 100% (high mode) first. Hmmm... :thinking:

This is it see, the seller sent me the wrong item. I was hoping for the old style ones but they sent me the new yellow packet ones.

And yeah it does come on at 100% but it's just annoying having to constantly tweak and twist it to get the mode you want. It would suck for emergencies.

CarlR

Newly Enlightened
That is very annoying - I hope you have some recourse to get a refund or the proper light. eBay has its risks...

In general the lights with all the fancy modes kind of annoy me.

A really useful UI would be a single "on/off" switch (forward clicky style so it can be used for signaling) along with a toggle-type high-low selector, with low being about 10% power.

I don't think this exists yet... If I'm wrong let me know, I'll take two.

Carl

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Topic 1) This is nothing more than a mis-represented auction. Follow the ebay procedures to resolve your problem. Case solved. The lesson here is to NEVER assume ANYTHING from an ebay seller. If you desire a specific model, ask them specifically what they are selling. This is why I don't buy Inova X1 lights on Ebay. I ask the sellers if they have the older Nichia version 2 and they have no clue what the (bleep) I am talking about. I take it a step further ans ask the seller to email me actual pictures of the item. A good seller will comply and do everything possible to assist the customer.

Topic 2) Yes the Minimag UI stinks. I was never a fan of the loosen for ON switch mechanics. I cant tell you how many times I had that thing accidentally turn ON in my backpack. Cycling through disco modes would drive me nuts too. The only MM I own was a gift, I have never had any desire to purchase one. Which says a lot given how cheap they are.... and how cheap I am:broke:.

Last edited:

McAllan

Enlightened
The new multi mode mini should by design come on in the high mode if shut off for not more than 5 seconds.

If it seems to be on a low mode the batteries are on their way to go dead. As the batteries go empty the multi mode mini mag dims the output in a PWM fashion just like if it was set on a lower mode.

Pretty annoying with NiMH since their voltage is just low enough to cause some PWM. Not really noticeable in over all output but since the PWM frequency is quite low it is noticeable. If only they would lower the voltage where it starts PWM'ing and increase frequency.

U

user1016

The new multi mode mini should by design come on in the high mode if shut off for not more than 5 seconds.

If it seems to be on a low mode the batteries are on their way to go dead. As the batteries go empty the multi mode mini mag dims the output in a PWM fashion just like if it was set on a lower mode.

Pretty annoying with NiMH since their voltage is just low enough to cause some PWM. Not really noticeable in over all output but since the PWM frequency is quite low it is noticeable. If only they would lower the voltage where it starts PWM'ing and increase frequency.

I was going to say, I threw some in and I've noticed some very strange behaviour. Fading and flickering to different modes automatically. I don't like that. I do agree that it needs a simple "switch" to toggle modes rather than having to be twisted.

I'm also a bit annoyed that they took the lanyard hole out. That was a pointless "Addition", or subtraction rather to the Maglite Mini. It's not used all the time but I did used to stick one on my belt for small camping trips.

McAllan

Enlightened
I was going to say, I threw some in and I've noticed some very strange behaviour. Fading and flickering to different modes automatically. I don't like that.

Fading and flickering? That something different from PWM. Else I'd say you have a defect one.

Actually I think the intention was good. But the implementation is mediocre.
As said it starts to PWM on high mode at a too high voltage. Should IMHO not start before 1.05 - 1.1 volt pr. cell. That way you would get undimmed high for much longer time and having better compatibility with the (very minor) lower voltage of NiMH. And as a bonus - when you start notice PWM when using NiMH it's time for recharge - and even if you don't if would run ages before your cells are so depleted that there's a risk of reversal of the weakest cell.

I believe it was done to extend battery life since some light is better than none. You can put in some pretty empty cells in the new multi mode mini and still get some light from it long after the cells are dead on other lights.

I do agree that it needs a simple "switch" to toggle modes rather than having to be twisted.

I'm also a bit annoyed that they took the lanyard hole out. That was a pointless "Addition", or subtraction rather to the Maglite Mini. It's not used all the time but I did used to stick one on my belt for small camping trips.

I didn't comment that did I ?
Should I come with my personal favorite things against MagLite it would be lack of HA-III anodize, no special models in stainless (would love an XL100 in stainless) and glass lens options from Mag themselves.
Oh, and the voltage at which the PWM start in high mode in the multi mode mini and the PWM frequency which is on the quite low side. Even a DX light I got has got that right with a PWM over 1 kHz (don't know precisely could be everything from 1-5 kHz) which is good enough for everything I can think of - it's not annoying like ~100 Hz the multi mode minimag is using.

Personally I don't care much about the lack of a lanyard hole on a light bigger than a single cell light. Can understand why others are not of same opinion however.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
The LED Rebel Mini Maglite is something that must be purchased with care as there are three types of them. There is the older single-mode, as well as the new multi-mode. The older single-mode does not come in a model with the lanyard hole. The multi-mode comes with or without the lanyard hole, the one without the hole is the older model. The older model has more issues with flickering and reliability (hence the switch back to the original tailcap).

hogger

Newly Enlightened
I have added the basic nite-ize switch (not the IQ) to my multi mode and it works well. It keeps you from doing the twist. :thumbsup:

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Of the Mini mags I have, the only one that is still "in service" is the new multi-mode Rebel Minimag.It's in the car because it has strobe and SOS (which I normally hate).My 2xAA and 3xAA old style Mini MagLEDs are in the box of retired Minimags and will probably show up in the MP at some point.

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
You use a solitare?
get a Fenix E01 instead
(I have a hate-hate relationship to solitaires, all of the ones I used were crap)

Minimag 2AA (led/not led)?
Fenix TK20, Fenix LD20, Quark AA² instead

or, my present EDC:
instead of E01 and whatever 1 or 2*AA,
a Quark mini with 14500

Locoboy5150

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have never liked the idea of loosening the head to turn on the Mini-Maglite and I've had mine for over 20 years now. That's why I replaced the tail cap with a TCS-1 tailcap switch from Terralux. It's a great addition.

I have an upgraded old 2 AA incandescent model though. I don't like the new 2 AA LED Mini-Maglites because they're way too long for EDC use.

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
It seems Maglites are still adored by the members.My company list them in our catalogue but nothing from other makers which I find really strange.

carrot

Flashaholic
The LED Rebel Mini Maglite is something that must be purchased with care as there are three types of them. There is the older single-mode, as well as the new multi-mode. The older single-mode does not come in a model with the lanyard hole. The multi-mode comes with or without the lanyard hole, the one without the hole is the older model. The older model has more issues with flickering and reliability (hence the switch back to the original tailcap).
I am confused, you say there are three types of Rebel LED Mini Maglite?

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
i bought a newest model, few months ago, i like it, ui is extremely simple. still accepts mini mag accessories, thou i have no use for SOS, and strobe, but they don't bother me.

McAllan

Enlightened
I am confused, you say there are three types of Rebel LED Mini Maglite?

Nope. He says there's 3 types of MM LED. He doesn't mention the emitter.

1. The oldest one with one mode. That happens to be Luxeon III.
2. The multi mode LED with same tail cap as the oldest one. That's the tailcap with no lanyard hole. Rebel emitter.
3. The newest multi mode LED which is mostly identical to the nr. 2 but have a tailcap (almost) identical to the incan one. Again Rebel emitter.

Robin24k

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup...delete the "Rebel" from my post and it will make sense. I reworded it as I was typing and didn't catch it. :eek:

U

user1016

Fading and flickering? That something different from PWM. Else I'd say you have a defect one.

Actually I think the intention was good. But the implementation is mediocre.
As said it starts to PWM on high mode at a too high voltage. Should IMHO not start before 1.05 - 1.1 volt pr. cell. That way you would get undimmed high for much longer time and having better compatibility with the (very minor) lower voltage of NiMH. And as a bonus - when you start notice PWM when using NiMH it's time for recharge - and even if you don't if would run ages before your cells are so depleted that there's a risk of reversal of the weakest cell.

I believe it was done to extend battery life since some light is better than none. You can put in some pretty empty cells in the new multi mode mini and still get some light from it long after the cells are dead on other lights.

I didn't comment that did I ?
Should I come with my personal favorite things against MagLite it would be lack of HA-III anodize, no special models in stainless (would love an XL100 in stainless) and glass lens options from Mag themselves.
Oh, and the voltage at which the PWM start in high mode in the multi mode mini and the PWM frequency which is on the quite low side. Even a DX light I got has got that right with a PWM over 1 kHz (don't know precisely could be everything from 1-5 kHz) which is good enough for everything I can think of - it's not annoying like ~100 Hz the multi mode minimag is using.

Personally I don't care much about the lack of a lanyard hole on a light bigger than a single cell light. Can understand why others are not of same opinion however.

I'm curious, what's special about the XL100? I was looking at them not long ago wondering whether or not to buy one.

Latest posts