Is the Stinger brighter than the Surefire?

Viper

Newly Enlightened
Is the Streamlight Stinger brigher than a surefire 6P? One measures in Lumens and the other in candlepower.

Different batteries, but both have 1 hour of use.

So which one is brighter?

Thanks

Steve C

Enlightened
I have both. In fact, I have two Stingers; one purchased six years ago, and one issued to me last year.

The older one has a new battery stick, but it is definitely not as bright as the newer one, right off the charger. Must be a different bulb...

My 6P is 6-7 years old as well; and I think it is a bit brighter than the newer Stinger. But I wouldn't want to live on the difference.

You're talking about two differnt concepts here. The Stinger is a good all-around genral purpose light that can be recharged; i.e., it is not expensive to operate. It is too big to stick in your pocket for casual carry.

The 6P is what I would term an "emergency light"; small enough to be there when you need it with the power you need, but expensive to operate. Recent discussions regarding bulb life have me wondering; this 6P has seen quite a bit of use, but it is just as bright today as it was when I bought it.

Anyway, keep in mind that the Stinger is basically twice as big as the 6P. If you're looking for something to carry, that is a factor.

But for all practical purposes, the ones I have are equal in the light output department.

Steve

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the SureFire appears brighter because of the better beam. The Stinger beam has rings and dark and light spots because of their smooth reflector.
The UltraStinger has a new reflector that somewhat corrects this but I think the Stingers still have the old reflector.

Ratso

Enlightened
I think the new Stinger has a textured reflector. It should be almost as bright as a Surefire 6v light with P60 lamp. They are both 6 watt lights so brightness should be pretty close.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The new stipled Stinger reflector is equal in brightness to an E-series Surefire, according to my eyes...The 6P series of lights put out more light, in a wider pattern.

--dan