Eagletac T20C2 MKII drop in choices

Streak

Enlightened
I see that for the T20C2 MKII that you can get the light with orange peel or smooth reflector with neutral or cool white emitter.

I would like to buy this light with one of the combos and buy one of the drop in's as an alternative. I guess it makes sense to have one of them neutral white and one of them cool white.

Do I go OP for both to ensure a uniform beam or do I choose the smooth for one of them (which one?) for comparison purposes?

somename

Newly Enlightened
Go with the OP reflector for the XP-G R5. I got mine last week and the beam looks awesome with a very nice hot spot. I think I recall it being mentioned the hot spot center was brighter when using the OP reflector and with the smooth reflector there was a 'donut' hole.

Streak

Enlightened
Go with the OP reflector for the XP-G R5. I got mine last week and the beam looks awesome with a very nice hot spot. I think I recall it being mentioned the hot spot center was brighter when using the OP reflector and with the smooth reflector there was a 'donut' hole.

OK thanks, then I will probably go for the neutral white plus smooth reflector drop in as the alternative unless there are comments from others suggesting otherwise.

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want two I would suggest the OP and NW because the smooth has a donut in the middle I didn't like but with the OP it is great. I think because of the donut it seems it actually hurts the throw.

lebox97

Enlightened
for the record - there is no OP reflector option w/ the T20C2/P20C2/P20A2 MKII's replaceable modules.

- LOP (Light Orange Peel) is the factory default reflector.
- SMO (Smooth) is optional.
We dealers may list order options slightly differently on our websites - but the above is how we order them from ET.

Dan Lam the Owner/Designer for ET told me at Shotshow that he is using the lightest orange peel reflector he could find - and the LOP reflector offers the best beam pattern with the XP-G R5.

Consensous of posts and reviews I have read state that LOP offers more LUX (Throw) :huh: over the SMO - due to dark beam center with SMO.
YMMV

LED Color/Tint option is CW/COOL or NW/NEUTRAL White.

:thumbsup:
Cheers
Tod

Streak

Enlightened
for the record - there is no OP reflector option w/ the T20C2/P20C2/P20A2 MKII's replaceable modules.

- LOP (Light Orange Peel) is the factory default reflector.
- SMO (Smooth) is optional.
We dealers may list order options slightly differently on our websites - but the above is how we order them from ET.

Dan Lam the Owner/Designer for ET told me at Shotshow that he is using the lightest orange peel reflector he could find - and the LOP reflector offers the best beam pattern with the XP-G R5.

Consensous of posts and reviews I have read state that LOP offers more LUX (Throw) :huh: over the SMO - due to dark beam center with SMO.
YMMV

LED Color/Tint option is CW/COOL or NW/NEUTRAL White.

:thumbsup:
Cheers
Tod

Many thanks Tod.

By OP I meant LOP wrt to Eagletac products.
Sounds like LOP is the way to go then with the XP-G R5, would this also apply to the XP-E Q4?

Timelike

Newly Enlightened
I got the T20C2MkII with the LOP reflector, and I was initially very happy with it. My other light was a Fenix TK11R2 with a smooth reflector. The EagleTac definitely has a much smoother beam with no donuts or dark rings, but it just doesn't throw as well as the older, weaker Fenix.

The beam on the EagleTac has a smaller radius than the Fenix, but the hotspot fades away much faster than the hotspot on the Fenix. I work at an airport at night so I have lots of dark empty space to test this stuff out.

The EagleTac LOP is a beautiful light with a seamless beam, but I really want some more throw. I need to be able to light up the top of a rudder on a 767 or 747. EagleTac is sending me the smooth reflector this week so I will pop that in and see if it makes much difference.

sfca

Enlightened
The EagleTac LOP is a beautiful light with a seamless beam, but I really want some more throw. I need to be able to light up the top of a rudder on a 767 or 747. EagleTac is sending me the smooth reflector this week so I will pop that in and see if it makes much difference.

You'll love the E2DL. :thumbsup::thumbsup: +1 on the TIR beam!... Sorry, couldn't help myself. :crazy:

Btw, what's the difference between LOP and OP?

Timelike

Newly Enlightened
I am much happier with the smooth reflector. The hot spot really really makes people say wow. Both reflectors are great, but now that I've got the smooth one installed, I don't pick up any other flashlight. It still has great flood, but the hotspot doesn't dissipate.

I was walking with a group of people from a wedding reception to our cars which were parked in a grassy field way out in the country side in England last Saturday. It was pitch black and the women were having trouble walking in their high heels.

I pulled out my EagleTac and lit the place up! Our friends were all like oh my god! Wow look at your torch! It was such a great feeling, but I wonder if they were all wondering why I had been carrying a flashlight with me all day! Semper Paratus.

shipwreck

Enlightened
Ok, glad to hear it. I had several people tell me to go the other way - with the OP reflector - but I went with the smooth one anyway. It shipped today, so I should have it by this weekend.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Basically the OP reflector takes out some of the light from the edges of the hotspot and smudges it with the spill beam. This gives a really nice smooth transition which increases hotspot size at medium range and makes the light more useful up close as well. However, if you go for the smooth reflector then obviosly all of that light will be more tightly focused in the center of the beam, giving you more throw, and also making the hotspot more defined. This can appear brighter than the OP reflector due to the beam shape, although it isnt great for maintaining night vision..

I would say that for overall utility of beam profile, the OP reflector with the better performance in misty/outdoor conditions and depth perception/colour rendition neutral white module is best. Whereas for sheer output, the wow factor, and that extra bit of throw the cool white R5 with smooth reflector is the better option.

shipwreck

Enlightened
Whereas for sheer output, the wow factor, and that extra bit of throw the cool white R5 with smooth reflector is the better option.

Ok, that's what I wanted.

Honestly - I have an Inova XO for my EDC. It's already beat up, and I don't want to beat up another light.

My Inova T2-MP is my nightstand light - for when things go bump in the night.

This eagletac will just be a toy - as I just wanted something BRIGHTER to play around with. Anything brighter than the T2-MP for indoor use is probably too bright. So, I just want a super bright toy w/o paying more than $70-$80.

Anyway, thanks for your info.

Latest posts