What direction now?

WVDAVE

Newly Enlightened
I just got my first 2 real lights a Quark MiNi 123 and a Quark 123 X 2. I'm very pleased with both of these and plan on getting a 123 X 2 Tactical version or a 123 Turbo. My question is after the Quarks what would be the next logical progression, step or brand I should consider on this road to the perfect light?

Dave Paskowski

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think next would be a Surefire if your talking $150-$200. If your thinking $80-$110 then a Jetbeam it all depends on what progression "price" is best logical to you.

joe1512

Enlightened
What exactly are you looking for?

You seem to have 2 almost identical lights and are going to get 2 more that are almost identical to that! Why do you need a 1xCR123 'tactical' light for anyways?

I'd suggest you branch out a bit and get a bigger light for around the house. Maybe a TK40 or other 700ish lumen light using 18650s. (you can use the same charger to do your RCR123s too). Or maybe you want a big thrower instead.
Think of the various uses that your light would be good for that your current one isn't. Do you camp/hike? A high powered option would be nice (not crazy high, but a 700 lumen throw would be nice). Got a light in the car (or will your keychain/EDC cover this?)?

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
get a nice host for some fun with
p60 drop-ins!
there's always a new one around the corner..

NonSenCe

Flashlight Enthusiast
below polar circle.. in country which used to make
so you got a minilight and a user light.

tactical thrower type is a good move to follow.

and next up is a big output one. (mce, sst?)

then maybe couple simple to use reasonable priced general task lights around the house/car..

then the lego light with drop-ins.
then programmable marvel.
then warm tint or high cri.
then... :) its endless.

shark_za

Enlightened
Great fun this obsession !

Only suggestions... everyone has different interests.

P60's are fun-tastic to play around with, learn the ins and outs of voltage, cells, drivers.
Get a Surefire (you need it to set the basesline) and then go mad in the Lighthound shop, Solarforce, Fivemega, Leef and other extentions and bodies, lots of dropin's , 18650 cells, RCR123, heck even 17500's, P7 turbo head from LF is good.
Make all sorts of lego combinations till you build yourself the perfect light for a task.
And then scrap it and do something else. Or just buy more parts to build the next one!

You might also want to delve into the small twisty keychain lights.
iTP or 4Sevens A/Mini series for a start. (oops, see you have the mini, get a AA and AAA type, or 10)

What about something like a Surefire LX2, thats on my agenda next. I have just ordered my Quark fix and awaiting patiently for it to arrive.

You DESERVE a Thrunite Catapult ;)

Whatever, where does your interest take you?

Thats just LED, what about incandescents !?

Last edited:

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
My question is after the Quarks what would be the next logical progression, step or brand I should consider on this road to the perfect light?
perhaps head off to IlluminationGear and check out the Eagletac P20C2 MkII. I know I did and have finally found the perfect torch for me. I still love my 7 quarks but both my P20C2's (mkI and mkII) have now taken the lead role for me.

Jash

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got about 20 lights and only two of them are of same. Everything is different for different reasons.

Variety is the key to enjoying this lifestyle.

Go with the TK30/40. You don't want to rush into all that lego stuff until you're bored with what's off the shelf. Plus your wallet will appreciate it.

bigfoot

Enlightened
SureFire and Ra / HDS lights. Both brands are built with quality here in the U.S., and have lifetime warranties.

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
I concur with the posters above who have recommended that your next light be one of the "light cannons", e.g., TK30, TK40, M1X, or M2X, etc. Most anything else would simply give you redundant capability.

WVDAVE

Newly Enlightened
I'm going to save and get the Thrunite Catapult as my next light. After the 4Sevens Turbo 123x2. I want that Turbo.

pwatcher

Enlightened
SureFire and Ra / HDS lights. Both brands are built with quality here in the U.S., and have lifetime warranties.
+1

Seriously consider an Ra twisty or clicky, and either a Surefire Aviator A2, or maybe an U2 Ultra!

In edit, as far as next step goes (vs brand), a Catapult might indeed be appropriate, but take a look at the Olight M30 as well !

Last edited: