Thrunite Catapult Hotspot - Problem?

GaryH

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,

Could you help please. I today received my new Thrunite Catapult and am very pleased with the throw. However on a white wall around 12 feet away the hotspot has a fainter (but distinct) clover-type image around it. I don't mind unless this is a problem.

Also how perfect should the reflector be? My Cat's reflector has 2 or 3 pin prick type marks. Is this a problem or to be expected?

Any help much appreciated.

Cheers

Gary

Scuderia

Newly Enlightened
My catapult also have the clover shaped image around the hot spot. It should be a norm for the emittor used. My SR90 also have the same shape. As for the reflector dome, mine is smooth, your's might have some imperfections. Nothing to worry too much though.

joshconsulting

Enlightened
The SST-50 always has that beam pattern with a SMO reflector, in every kind of dropin, custom or factory made; I assume it's a side effect of the manufacturing process required for the larger dye. From what I hear, the SST-90 has it too. But it's so minor that it's barely visible at close distance on a whitewall.

Greg G

Enlightened
Don't put too much stock in the white wall dyno. As long as it lights up what you want it's good to go. With a smooth reflector you have to accept some scars. It's part of the package.

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Don't put too much stock in the white wall dyno. As long as it lights up what you want it's good to go. With a smooth reflector you have to accept some scars. It's part of the package.

Also, just so people don't get disillusioned, the SST-50\90 have the BEST hotspots of ANY current emitter - the XR-E ("Cree rings") and P7\MC-E (Doughnut hole) are all of considerably poorer quality unless you use an OP reflector. The XP-G is pretty much the same, it's hard to spot flaws in either the SSTs or XP-Gs even on a whitewall with a SMO reflector.

GaryH

Newly Enlightened
Very many thanks for all of the helpful replies. I am 100% reassured and won't worry about it.

Cheers

Gary