Giving a Flashlight as a gift, opinions.

bc62010

Newly Enlightened
Ive been thinking about giving my nephew a flashlight as a birthday gift. Now my choice is a Fenix LD10 or a Quark Mini 123, I was thinking LD10 because AA's are found everywhere vs CR123 normally at photo or specialty stores. Which light do you think would be better for a 7 y/o boy LD10 or Mini 123.

Larbo

Enlightened
Ive been thinking about giving my nephew a flashlight as a birthday gift. Now my choice is a Fenix LD10 or a Quark Mini 123, I was thinking LD10 because AA's are found everywhere vs CR123 normally at photo or specialty stores. Which light do you think would be better for a 7 y/o boy LD10 or Mini 123.

Of the two listed I would pick the LD10 for several reasons... #1 being it wont get HOT, even a full sized 123 Quark will get very hot left on turbo, keep with AA torches for now.

mrartillery

Enlightened
For a 7 year old I'd probably go with something cheap like a MiniMag, because they're probably just going to throw it around and beat it over the ground anyway. :)

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
I'd find out what the kid really wants. Just because you love flashlights, doesn't mean a 7 year old wouldn't rather have a toy.

But if the kid is into flashlights, I agree with mrartillery and say get him something cheap.

Definitely do not get a CR123 powered light unless the parents are willing to buy the batteries. AA is really the way to go there.

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
I'd find out what the kid really wants. Just because you love flashlights, doesn't mean a 7 year old wouldn't rather have a toy. Definitely do not get a CR123 powered light unless the parents are willing to buy the batteries. AA is really the way to go there.
Yep.

He'd also be needing to get a discussion on not shining it in the eyes of his brother/sister.

skyfire

Flashlight Enthusiast
i would also suggest something using AA. and would also suggest something cheap. how about an ITP or romisen from shiningbeam.com

i gave my 9 year old niece a DX black cat in red, she had fun with it for about 2 days. and havent seen it since, im sure she lost it somewhere with all her other toys and stuff.

why a quark 123 and not the quark AA?

lightsandknives

Enlightened
My two grandsons love flashlights. We take them and walk around the small lake in our addition after dark. They've been using just a couple of cheap Dorcys, but when I turn on mine, they always feel undergunned.:whistle:

The 5 year old asked me last week if I'd buy them new flashlights. I did a lot of searching on what I thought would be appropriate, and ended up ordering them each a Romison RC-N3 from Shiningbeam. They will run off AAs or 123s. And with CPF discount, they're a little over $22.00 each. They looked so good, I ordered an extra one for me!:shakehead

If you search the forum, they get pretty high marks.

Good luck in your search.

bc62010

Newly Enlightened
I'd find out what the kid really wants. Just because you love flashlights, doesn't mean a 7 year old wouldn't rather have a toy.

But if the kid is into flashlights, I agree with mrartillery and say get him something cheap.

Definitely do not get a CR123 powered light unless the parents are willing to buy the batteries. AA is really the way to go there.

Youre right about that, Im waiting for a response from the parents via email. I know he likes flashlights because everytime I come over and visit he's like "Can I see your flashlight" so he's a mini flashaholic lol. You guys are right about the Mini getting hot, I forgot how hot that sucker gets.

Alex K.

Newly Enlightened
I bought my little cousin a pink AA Mini-Maglite from WalMart. She is a Flashaholic-in-training. She could say "flashlight" and "M*glite" at two years old! The only problem is she uses it so much the $6 flashlight ate $15 worth of AA's within the first two months!:faint:

umc

Enlightened
I have a mini 123 and am not even sure I'm sold on it. What I am sold on is the Quark regular 123 so I would suggest that, he's old enough and it's still in the price range.

Now, that being said, this is coming from a guy who just bought his 19 month old son a RA Clicky Custom. So, with that, I think skies the limit, don't worry about age and buy him quality, it will last and he will appreciate it.

shark_za

Enlightened
Depends on his maturity and if he would respect a $50 item.

I gave my 3-year old a Romisen RC-G2, cos its simple and cheap.
I gave her junk GP 2700 NiMh's that I had lying around and charge them when she wants.
If she loses them or the torch, no cries.

McAllan

Enlightened

If you want to give such a boy a flashlight I'd say go for an AA based one either you choose one or two cells. They're the safest if forgotten turned on in a blanket etc.
If you want to give him the best start then also get a charger and some NiMH LSD cells too. I don't say he should be given a Maha C9000, Conrad (Voltcraft) Charge Manager or other expensive high end charger. Where I live you can get very reasonable bundles with GP ReCyKo. Choose a bundle with a -dV charger (faster than 4-5 hours). Of course they're a little lesser quality than eneloops but nothing that should matter. I have a bunch of them myself along with my eneloops and performance wise I can't tell the difference.

That said - if he has shown great interests in your lights or at least are the type who loves über cool gadgets in general. Then of course he should have his own. If not then don't bother IMHO. If people are not interested it doesn't matter if it's the best light on the market made of the best materials and best workmanship - then you could have given them socks instead they've been happier with - at least they will use the socks if they fit and are in a color/type they normally wear. Else it'll end up forgotten in a drawer, thrown out (not knowing it could be sold for quite a bit on the internet) or given away.

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I vote get for him a Quack AA.

that's the knock off sold by some sites-that-shall-remain-unnamed :D

when you click the switch it goes "cluck" not click

but back ontopic, i think a simple 2xAA like the RC N3 single mode would suffice, not too pricey, reasonably durable and at 7 years old, the kid might know how to look after it a bit better. I let my 5 year old nephew play with my G2 and was glad that i had handed him the G2, he could be a quality control tester for Surefire the way he handled that light. His parents were, "aren't you worried that he'll break it?" and i was "nah, it's nigh on indestructible."

They were impressed till they heard the price. Then they were lookin at me like i was crazy.

Wattnot

Enlightened
DEFINITELY an AA powered light. They're bright and simple. I used to give CR123 lights as gifts but a non-flashaholic will probably stick it in a drawer when the first set of batteries dies (ask me how I know! LOL).

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Reading your description of why you're making this choice, and seeing the two lights you're choosing between, I'd mix them together and get the MiNi that uses AA's. One of the most compact AA lights available, beautiful beam, extremely easy to learn UI.