Sterling Silver host? (old silverware)

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
crazy idea-
how rad would it be to melt down old sterling
thats just sitting around and turn it into the ULTIMATE
bling light?

or at least make a nice heatsink out of a bent spoon...

you guys with wives probably shouldnt bring up the idea...:green:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Why not Platinum?

dont hate on it d00d - I know its far fetched:thumbsup:

I thought silver was a good heat conductor and
its fairly common for people to have old sterling
cutlery around.

it would only take one smushed fork to make a
p60 heatsink no? or couple of em to make a tube for a
CR2.

daydreaming at work......

tattoosteve99

Newly Enlightened
Silver would be nice! Bling Bling Although Platinum would rock if you had a forge to melt it in. Very hot temps for platinum.

bob4apple

Enlightened
Silver looks awesome, but needs work to keep it looking that way.

It would be great so long as you remember NOT to tell anybody: "Be right there, almost done polishing my flashlight". :oops: :crackup:

bspofford

Enlightened
I want to melt down a lot of fountain pens and make an iridium AAA flashlight. And you thought titanium was durable?

recDNA

Flashaholic
dont hate on it d00d - I know its far fetched:thumbsup:

I thought silver was a good heat conductor and
its fairly common for people to have old sterling
cutlery around.

it would only take one smushed fork to make a
p60 heatsink no? or couple of em to make a tube for a
CR2.

daydreaming at work......

Hey man - I WAS SERIOUS! Wouldn't a platinum keychain light be the ULTIMATE in bling? Gold would be easier to melt though. I'm still not kidding! I love jewelry (usually watches) AND flashlights. Silver is too Goth for me.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I want to melt down a lot of fountain pens and make an iridium AAA flashlight. And you thought titanium was durable?

Flashaholics are the only people I know who give a tinker's damn about titanium. It's funny we're willing to pay so much for it. Don't get me wrong - I like it too, but I actually like brass better....and gold or platinum MUCH better.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
a silver p60 heatsink/pill would = half a butter knife
probably no?

yeah, melting it down would be messy n then youd have to
machine it after... I bet a local machine shop that was
slow due to the recession might make one for cheapish.
or we could find someone on the customs B/S/T forum to send our
family cutlery to...

CUSTOM *SILVER* HEATSINKED P60 DROP-INS FOR SUREFIRE

hehe

a beat up tarnished silver host might look pretty neat too..

anyone live in Sheffield England? I seem to remember there
being old silverware/cutlery factories there..
randomness...:party:

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Make sure whatever youre melting down is not worth more as is. Don't accidentally melt down uber rare silverware

GrimCreaper

Newly Enlightened
this would be a rather neat idea... I have a decent sized collection of non-valuable silver quarters/dimes. it would be really neat to have a silver flashlight made out of them!

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
Not so simple. The only sort of machining to do would be spinning it on a lathe, and that assumes you sheet to start with. Trying to cut it would lose a lot of silver.

That leaves either casting, which takes special equipment and skill, as well as making a good mold, and then finishing work after, or constructing it from sheet.

To get sheet you would melt it, cast it into a slab/slug, and then use a rolling mill (not common equipment, and a bit expensive). Then you would have form it into a tube -- best way is rolling and then soldering it. This gets involved.

The better way is to find a metal craftsman who could purchase sheet and make it, and sell him the silver you have to offset the cost -- not make it directly from what you have.

You could also use a brass light and put a heavy plate on it, or inlay silver into it (labor intensive).

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
crazy idea-
how rad would it be to melt down old sterling
thats just sitting around and turn it into the ULTIMATE
bling light?

or at least make a nice heatsink out of a bent spoon...
I love it!
Silver looks awesome, but needs work to keep it looking that way.

It would be great so long as you remember NOT to tell anybody: "Be right there, almost done polishing my flashlight". :oops: :crackup:
That would definitely take another flashaholic to understand!

I really like silver either polished, or left to natures devices to tarnish up beautifully and for the same reason don't polish my bronze Ion.
yeah, melting it down would be messy

a beat up tarnished silver host might look pretty neat too..
Not at all messy if you're setup for it and I'm with you on the beat up tarnished look!
I would rather have a nicely worn copper flashlight, than silver or platinum.
How cool would a copper EX-10 look. :thumbsup:
I especially love the appearance of any metal that can tarnish beautifully as both silver and copper will do!
Make sure whatever youre melting down is not worth more as is. Don't accidentally melt down uber rare silverware
Definitely better to buy brand new ounce bars than to melt anything of value, which would probably include any old silverware!
Trying to cut it would lose a lot of silver.

That leaves either casting, which takes special equipment and skill, as well as making a good mold, and then finishing work after, or constructing it from sheet.

To get sheet you would melt it, cast it into a slab/slug, and then use a rolling mill (not common equipment, and a bit expensive). Then you would have form it into a tube -- best way is rolling and then soldering it. This gets involved.

The better way is to find a metal craftsman who could purchase sheet and make it, and sell him the silver you have to offset the cost -- not make it directly from what you have.
No need for any waste if you had someone do it who was familiar with saving all the shavings, as is the norm in the jewelry business. I think the best way to go would be either to try and locate some thick walled tubing or go with the cast method.

Sure, it's a bit involved, but this place is full of dreamers, and those allowed to dream are the ones that come up with the lights of our dreams!

Norm

Retired Administrator
You need one of these

p10202766920297.jpg

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is too interesting. For those who don't know, local Gem & Mineral clubs often have the equipment for melting & working silver into simple jewelery (and membership is real cheap). Making a mold is only a small extra step. If I ever put my hands on enough silver, I'll definitely try to make something like this.