Pelican M6 & recharg Li-ion; need correct adapter

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
I've been told that using a pila 168s (copia 168b) causes a dimmer lightbeam. to combat this problem, i'll be looking for a battery extender. which one do i buy? a surefire a14 or an a19???

i'm assuming:
a14 = three cr123 batteries or two pila 150s batteries
a19 = one pila 150s and one NiMH 'AA' battery

thanks again guys!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
The A19 is the length of a single 123 cell, 34 mm.

The A14 is the length of a single A or AA cell, 50 mm

To run the PM6 with a copia 68 mm and an AA, use an A14.

To run the PM6 with a copia 50 mm and an AA, use an A19.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Dano,

Perhaps it's a question of YMMV but the light below works perfectly with the A19 as shown??!?!?

PM9.jpg

- Don

Ducati

Newly Enlightened
are the adapters only available at surefire.com??? i could only locate the a19 ($20) at surefire but not the a14...

[ QUOTE ]
lemlux said:
The A19 is the length of a single 123 cell, 34 mm.

The A14 is the lenght of a single A or AA cell, 50 mm

To run the PM6 with a copia 68 mm and an AA, use an A14.

To run the PM6 with a copia 50 mm and an AA, use an A19.

[/ QUOTE ]

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I thought running different chemistry batteries and different sizes was a big no-no... (Pila+AA)? Could this not damage the LiIon and potentially cause leaks, etc?

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Li-Ions are 1000 or 1400 mAh and will shut down when fully discharged.

The NiMhs I use are 1800 mAh or more. They have some power left when the Li-Ions shut down.

The primary risks of mixing batteries would seem to be:

(1) capacity overdischarging
---(a) alkalines will leak
---(b) NiMHs or NiCads can polarity reverse which severeley weakens or kills the cell.

(2) over-current discharging
---(a) NiMHs or NiCads will vent and reduce capacity
---(b) Li-Ions will overheat and could be destructive.
---(c) Alkalines can overheat and, perhaps explode or leak.
---(d) lithiums can overheat and go into a temporary shut-down mode.

Capacity overdischarging is not a risk to the circuit protected Li-ons. Polarity reversal would be to a NiMH or NiCad that had been allowed to sit and self-discharge for an extended period. I would never mix an alkaline with the other types.

Over Current discharging won't occur below 2.0 C with any NiMH or NiCad cells I know of.

The only overcurrent discharge risk I would see with the Li-Ions is to use a 2.30 A P91 with a pair of 1.00 A 50 mm long Li-Ions. This 2.3C discharge rate warms up the batteries in less than two minutes. Accordingly, I use a pair of the 1400mAh 67 mm long in this application.

(I have also satisfactorily driven a 2.30 A P61 with a 1400 mAh Li-Ion plus an AA niMH.)

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Isn't their a problem with the two cells working to charge/discharge each other instead of your application? I remember reading something here about that.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm not aware of any problem with the combinations I'm using at the discharge rates I'm using which are well within the safe internal resistance limitations of each chemistry type.

I've periodically taken cells out after extended runs and have not noticed cell heating (except the same heating with the 2.3 A SF HOLA's I'd notice with just one battery type.)

A while ago I batted this logic around extensively with DougS on another thread.

The easy safest approach is not to mix anything.

The approach I took was to ask "what could go wrong" with each cell in a series. I then tried what I couldn't identify to be problematic and frequently checked batteries for damage or heat.

You will be in the majority if you choose not to take the risk. The risk is the only non-cumbersome way I can find to drive a 2 * 123 cell incandescent with a Li-Ion.

Edit: I agree with Floating Spots comment about unbalanced cells in parallel. You will have eddy flows as the parallel cells seek to balance. I think an almost greater concern arises while charging unbalanced cells in parallel -- particularly if one group tends to want to have a higer peak charge than the other.

Floating Spots

Enlightened
Re: Pelican M6 & recharg Li-ion; need correct adap

[ QUOTE ]
Phaserburn said:
Isn't their a problem with the two cells working to charge/discharge each other instead of your application?

[/ QUOTE ]
This may be for unbalanced cells in parallel. This application is in series.