looking for a 18650 l.e.d with TIR optic

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
are surefire the only company with TIR optics?

any other lights worth trying?

i dont own a TIR light but want to try one, and i prefer 18650.

i *think* i want a narrow 6 degree beam or something like that, that produces a clean (spill free) medium sized hotspot from 25 feet?

solarforce host and a TIR optic from who/where?

Last edited:

Noctis

Enlightened
Personally I wanted a nice P60 dropin(MC-E or SST-90) with a TIR optic. Nothing like 500+ lumens at a target half a mile away...or am I just dreaming here?

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Check out the markeplace, Elektrolumens makes a direct-drive 18650 powered light that uses a Cree XP-G and a collaminating optic. It's approximately the size of a SF 6p. It's called the DeCree XP-G. I have one, it's darn impressive. Think wicked bright, heavily heatsinked M60. I think it's on sale for something like 60 bucks right now.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
do malkoff M60s have tir optics?

Yes... The M60/30 series do. M61 does not.
KEPL112706

dscn2505x.jpg

recDNA

Flashaholic
Check out the markeplace, Elektrolumens makes a direct-drive 18650 powered light that uses a Cree XP-G and a collaminating optic. It's approximately the size of a SF 6p. It's called the DeCree XP-G. I have one, it's darn impressive. Think wicked bright, heavily heatsinked M60. I think it's on sale for something like 60 bucks right now.

Anybody ever do lux measurements of it?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Oops...
I didn't read that part very carefully. Yes the Malkoff is a TIR, and it is a 6 degree beam. but its definitely NOT spill-free.

The DX 18650 flood to throw aspheric will do a medium sized round spot at 25 feet thats completely spill-free. I got a chance to play around with one of these at a CPF meet. its a fun little light.

I dont like to recommend DX junk, but this is the only light I have used that will project a beam like the OP describes.

Last edited:

Noctis

Enlightened
Hmm, I'm pretty sure it's a problem of physics. The more powerful the LED, the less you can control the spill.

Or ask someone if they can bore an E2DL to accept 18650 batteries.

Of course for me, I'd say the problem lies with the LED. You either need a less powerful LED like the ones Surefire has, or a custom LED head. The custom heads with great throw are usually too fat for my tastes, as it won't fit in my pocket.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I wish Fenix or Olight would make something like that.

Any non-reflector'd XRE, behind a de-focused aspheric will emit a beam like the OP describes ("clean / spill free medium sized hotspot from 25 feet"). Heres an aspheric 6P using a malkoff M60. Its too bright out for beamshots, but I will post some if you like.

I am not really a fan of these kinds of designs, they waste a LOT of emitted lumens due to the optical geometry of the design. With a 225 Lumen M60, this light probably only emits ~120L OTF. I just threw this together as an example for the OP.

dscn2506.jpg

dscn2508v.jpg

dscn2507f.jpg

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
Hmm, I'm pretty sure it's a problem of physics. The more powerful the LED, the less you can control the spill.

Or ask someone if they can bore an E2DL to accept 18650 batteries.

Of course for me, I'd say the problem lies with the LED. You either need a less powerful LED like the ones Surefire has, or a custom LED head. The custom heads with great throw are usually too fat for my tastes, as it won't fit in my pocket.

"The custom heads with great throw are usually too fat for my tastes, as it won't fit in my pocket. "

I agree, but isn't that the idea of a TIR optic. What we need is a SMALLER but BRIGHTER Led. The XP-G and SST's are too big from what I understand.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Any non-reflector'd XRE, behind a de-focused aspheric will emit a beam like the OP describes ("clean / spill free medium sized hotspot from 25 feet"). Heres an aspheric 6P using a malkoff M60. Its too bright out for beamshots, but I will post some if you like.

Very nice. Aspherics throw well. TIR is a prettier beam though right? I mean you focus the aspheric and it's square.

For that matter how the heck do you put together a 6P with a Malkoff and an aspheric lens? Would wall shots have rings? (not that it really matters in a thrower - just curious)

Anyway, that looks like a nice combo. A TIR behind an aspheric? Somehow it's funny. You have to be a high school physics teacher to figure out the optics!

Oh wait - it looks like yo took the TIR off of the Malkoff right?

By the way - I'd like that nice round medium sized hotspot at 200 meters!

Noctis

Enlightened
"The custom heads with great throw are usually too fat for my tastes, as it won't fit in my pocket. "

I agree, but isn't that the idea of a TIR optic. What we need is a SMALLER but BRIGHTER Led. The XP-G and SST's are too big from what I understand.
Really?
I would've thought they were all the same size considering they're all sold as P60 dropins. If not, there might be a slight problem sticking my newly ordered ThruNite XP-G into my Surefire 6P when they come in.

I was personally looking for the brightest possible LED in a P60 size(which I assume is the Malkoff M60 MC-E). Though of course, less spill and a more focused hotspot is as good as more lumens, depending on what you have in mind. Personally, spill is near useless to me(my opinion, for the uses I have in mind).

recDNA

Flashaholic
Really?
I would've thought they were all the same size considering they're all sold as P60 dropins. If not, there might be a slight problem sticking my newly ordered ThruNite XP-G into my Surefire 6P when they come in.

I was personally looking for the brightest possible LED in a P60 size(which I assume is the Malkoff M60 MC-E). Though of course, less spill and a more focused hotspot is as good as more lumens, depending on what you have in mind. Personally, spill is near useless to me(my opinion, for the uses I have in mind).

The drop in is the same size. The LED in the drop in comes in various sizes. The flashlights with custom heads often don't use drop ins or they use special drop ins or they only use the pill and have their own reflector.

I think the SST-90 is the brightest P60 sized drop in but it doesn't throw as far as some R2 drop ins.

Last edited:

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Very nice. Aspherics throw well. TIR is a prettier beam though right? I mean you focus the aspheric and it's square.

For that matter how the heck do you put together a 6P with a Malkoff and an aspheric lens? Would wall shots have rings? (not that it really matters in a thrower - just curious)

Anyway, that looks like a nice combo. A TIR behind an aspheric? Somehow it's funny. You have to be a high school physics teacher to figure out the optics!

Oh wait - it looks like yo took the TIR off of the Malkoff right?

By the way - I'd like that nice round medium sized hotspot at 200 meters!

Oh.. right I took the malkoff TIR lens off, underneath that aspheric. The resulting beam is just a round spot with uniform lux at all points in the projection. No gradual side spill and no concentrated spot at all in the center... its like a theater spotlight (but dimmer of course).

Aspherics throwing well is a miss-conception. An aspheric thats focused will throw well. A de-focus'd aspheric is more flood than throw.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Oh... no... I took the malkoff TIR lens off, underneath that aspheric. The resulting beam is just a round spot with uniform lux at all points in the projection. No gradual side spill and no concentrated spot at all in the center... its like a theater spotlight (but dimmer of course).

Like the Dereelight NoHS.

Noctis

Enlightened
The drop in is the same size. The LED in the drop in comes in various sizes. The flashlights with custom heads often don't use drop ins or they use special drop ins or they only use the pill and have their own reflector.

I think the SST-90 is the brightest P60 sized drop in but it doesn't throw as far as some R2 drop ins.
Just one more reason why Nailbender recommended the SST-50 to me over the 90.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody ever do lux measurements of it?

Not sure about lux, I know Mr G Man and Big Chelis have done integrating sphere testing. So I would assume they'd have lux as well. There should be some links to the testing in the De-Cree XP-G thread in the Elektrolumens subforum under manufacturers in the marketplace.