Introduction and Thanks!

BeeMan458

Banned
New Poster here.

Signed up so as to give thanks to you guys and your review efforts.

:wave:

Our son, after twenty-three years in the US Air Force, (SMSgt), was accepted to police academy in southern Oregon. He's also an avid outdoors, go into the bush for a week or two, get a permit style, bow and long gun hunter: Griz, Musk Ox, Mountain Goats, etc. So being a bit of a flashlight nut, I ordered up a couple of torches to try out and see if I'd want to get them as a gift when he graduates from academy.

:whistle:

Yes, I'll buy him new ones, cause I ain't giving up mine.

:whistle:

Base upon what I read here and in other threads, I picked up a JetBeam M1X and a complementary Jet-III M. For power I ordered up six, protected, Ultrafire, 18650 button top batteries and charger. Looking to pickup a RRT-1 to complete the ensemble from "Bug Out Gear."

My request to you LEO types (or anybody else who wants to chime in), can you give my wife and I any other suggestions as to what would make for an appropriate academy graduation gift besides these two killer torches and a gift certificate to Outback? His mother will be at the graduation ceremony to represent the family, I'll be home working so as to pay for it all.

:eek:

Thanks in advance for your replies and thanks again for all your review efforts.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

BeeMan458

Banned
Thanks!

Wow! That's some cool looking compact powerhouse.

:faint:

Overall, is it worth the price compared to a JetBeam Jet-III M at half the price? Or are you paying for the cool factor that Surefire has designed into their LX2?

Besides a couple of uber cool torches, can any LEO's (or anybody) suggest additional appropriate academy graduation gifts?

Thanks!

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
How about a nice quality gear bag? Here's the 5.11 Gear bag that has gotten some nice reviews http://www.lapolicegear.com/5tapagebag.html. Or even a Smith & Wesson or Surefire tacitcal pen, or a good Boker knife/Benchmade Auto. The Surefire E1B back-up is probably SF's most "Cop-oriented" light. Hope these are some good ideas for ya.

BeeMan458

Banned
JetBeams currently on order:

M1X

Jet-III M

Wish I had known about the Bug-Out CPF discount on the above two lights.

:ohgeez:

Used the 20% JetBeam discount code ("cpfjet") on these two, today.

RRT-1

RRT-0

:naughty:

HeadCSO

Enlightened
A multi tool, such as a Leatherman Wave might be handy.

You may also want to look for suitable sheaths for carrying the Jet III on his duty belt.

Last edited:

BeeMan458

Banned
Thanks for the suggestion. The "Leatherman Wave" is in the Amazon.com shopping basket.

Any suggestions as to a good sheath for the Jet-III?

Upon graduation, when we get done with him, he's going think it's Christmas. I KNOW his mother won't mind.

:D

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm curious, is body armor standard issue or is this something the LEO buys?

Not sure about body armour...it should eb avail. for call outs...but you can get him a tactical vest (MOLLE) that fits over the armour, so he can personalize it to fit his needs. Eagle Industries make good "over-vests", and Spec-Ops has one as well.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yeah...that's what I go with...I hate having permanent pouches on a vest, cause as your needs change, you vest eventually becomes useless...with this, it ould be customized to fit his needs...let's say, after 4-5 years he decides to change his job in the department, he would have to get a new vest to suit it...with this, he could just re-tailor it with different MOLLE pouches, etc. Plus, this will hold strike plates (to stop knife attacks, blunt objects, etc., we he should have acess to if needed through his departemnt.

Spec-Op's has some of the best light pouches (MOLLE Compatible) that would fit his Jet Beam, as well as MOLLE IFAK's, Dump Pouches, Flash-Bang pouches, etc. He may not get alot of use out of this, but it would come in handy during call-outs, or for shooting at the range and competitions, etc. It really depends on what he's going to do, and where he's gonna work...do they do alot of drug raids?, etc.

Last edited:

BeeMan458

Banned
Don't know about a lot of raids; southern Oregon. Doesn't seem like there would be a lot of action but I'm told there are tweekers everywhere.

I just figure as parents, we have a responsibility to help him out in congratulations after he finishes academy.

So far I have listed for the gift box:

JetBeam RRT-3 to be complemented by a RRT-0 with protected 18650 batteries and charger on the side.

Hatch tactical patrol gear bag; black

BenchMade folding blade (Red Boxed PIKA II).

Houdini PRO emergency rescue tool.

And a few Benjamins for his uniform fund.

:grin2:

Last edited: