Help with LED related project

dieneryn

Newly Enlightened
Hi, Im a student working on her 2nd year design project and would like to seek help from anyone who can help me =)

I'm really new to lighting technologies and have tried browsing through the forum threads but I still can piece the parts together for my project. so I hope someone out there can help me!

So here's the overview:

The image below is actually the front view of my product. It is meant to be something that can be strapped to the front of a fire jacket and consists of 3 main casings (white rectangles) connected by a black strap.
The casing is no more than 20mm thick and is also wheer the LEDs will be housed.

I need to use LEDs that are extremely high powered (to be able to see a small distance in very thick smoke). and this strap of light needs to be standalone. So I'm wondering if there's any way to achieve this? Hopefully someone can guide me on what kind of LED to use, what's the output and what type of battery I can use for it.

Rushing this for a submission due in 24 hours and I need all the technical information I can get!

Thanks in advance! =)

LED.jpg