Flood to throw, multi battery -too good to be true?

yatsunil

Newly Enlightened
Just happened to come across this while searching the BAY.
Romisen RC-C8 zoomable.

Compatible batteries (not included):
3 x 1.2v / 1.5v AAA battery
2 x 3.0v CR123A Disposable battery
2 x 3.0v / 3.6v / 3.7v CR123 Rechargeable battery
1 x 18650 3.6v / 3.7v Rechargeable Battery

Is this too good to be true? And at a really affordable price too..Hmmm???

Does anyone here own one and care to comment?

Cheers!

joe1512

Enlightened
Yeah, too good to be true.

First up, 120 lumens is not all that great. The RC-C6 upgrade can crank up to 180 (theoretical) with a single CR123.

I dont see how this light could use 3xAA as well as CR123s or AAs.

Plus at the very top under specs it lists...
Battery Type: CR123A/16340
Number of Batteries: 1

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i seldom go to eBay for my flashlight purchases, for Romisens i would highly recommend shiningbeam, great service, great shipping times and great after sales service too.

yatsunil

Newly Enlightened
i seldom go to eBay for my flashlight purchases, for Romisens i would highly recommend shiningbeam, great service, great shipping times and great after sales service too.

Funny you should say that 'cos I'm still waiting for my RC-C6 II from them. Bryan said he shipped it out on March 11 and it's now been more than 2 weeks since. How long does it usually take for them to send stuff to Singapore?

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I order from them inside the US and I always receive my order within a few days. You should email Bryan, it is possible that he shipped it but there was a problem with customs or something.

yatsunil

Newly Enlightened
I order from them inside the US and I always receive my order within a few days. You should email Bryan, it is possible that he shipped it but there was a problem with customs or something.

I did email him and he was very nice about it but there's not much he can do as he says there isn't any tracking for international shipments :(

I'll just have to wait it out I guess. All this waiting and anticipation......that's why I was searching the bay and came upon the new Romisen RC-C8. Imagine.....I'd just ordered a C6 II and before it can arrive I find a newer one available!

moviles

Enlightened
head diameter 35........

lens diameter? maybe more than 22mm like x2000

I don't like twist focus systems and I dont like 3xaaa flashlights..... but if the lens are bigger than 22mm..... then I will buy one

Last edited:

yatsunil

Newly Enlightened
head diameter 35........

lens diameter? maybe more than 22mm like x2000

I don't like twist focus systems and I dont like 3xaaa flashlights..... but if the lens are bigger than 22mm..... then I will buy one

Dunno the actual diameter of the lens...and it comes with adapters to take CR123, 16340 or 18650 so you're not stuck with 3xAAA. I think I'll get one for the heck of it. At that price, if I'm not satisfied, I can always give it away :wave:

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hell, it may not be that bright but having all these adapters is a too cool idea.

stallion2

Enlightened
Romisen's are great lights. i have 3 single cells and they work perfect. two of them are the zoomables, the RC-29 II and RC-C6 II from Shining Beam and i love them. i would rather EDC either of those before my Lumapower Incendio. i'm glad you brought this to our attention...i've been waiting for them to make a focusable in a tactical size light. and 120 lumens is plenty of output, especially when sharpen the beam. you don't need 300+ lumens to throw a beam 100+ yards. the best throwing lights are still the ~200lm XR-Es...not the MC-E's, not the SST's, not the XP-G's. if 60-120 lumens was good enough for SWAT, SRT, military, etc. less than 5 years ago (and still is today) then i think you can get by w/ 120 for $20-$30.

thank you for posting this.

moviles

Enlightened
the bad things are:

twist focus system.

the ratio diameter head / diameter lens its bad.

and the diameter of body is 25-26mm ....26650 batteries don't will fit :mecry:

.... I will buy one the lens appears to be bigger than 22mm

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't mind twisting the lens because I normally leave it at the flood setting. That way it stays where I put it. When I want to play I take a minute to focus it and check out the furthest tree I can light up. Love to burn up those trees 100 meters away. No reason to allow birds to have a decent night's sleep when they rudely wake ME up every morning!

taschenlampe

Enlightened
I received the RC-C8 today.

The lens is 27,8mm (RC-C6 23mm) but to me it seems to be less efficient in
collimating the beam!

The C8 is pulling only ~0,13A on high from 2*18350 (C6 ~0,8A from 1*RCR123)
at the tailcap.

Beamshot, both flashlights at the same distance:

C6_C8.jpg

The C6 is a neutral white from shiningbeam.

tl

moviles

Enlightened
the x2000 have 22mm x 8mm lens

the lens of c8 are 27.7mm x how many mm????????????????????

I received today the mte m2 sku 33552
sku_33552_2_small.jpg
sku_33552_1_small.jpg

it have 26.5mm:twothumbs x only 8.1mm :thumbsdowlens .......too big focal length many lumens loosed in throw position :shakehead

x2000 vs mte m2 lens:
34p0ydj.jpg

Last edited:

moviles

Enlightened
27,8 x 8,6 mm

But the internal diameter of the aluminium ring witch is holding the lens is 25mm - so the
effective diameter is 25mm.

tl

omg the c8 have 27,8 x 8,6 mm and I ordered one :mecry:

the bad 28mm lens from dx (sku 5297) are better :ohgeez:: 26.5mm (effective diameter) x 9.88mm

I want 28mm lens with good focal length like x2000 lens ... something like 28mm x 10-14mm

Last edited:

geek1

Newly Enlightened
I have a RC-C6 II WW from shiningbeam and i was wondering if that little thing (which houses the driver and led) that you can easily unscrew and take out fits in the body of the RC-C8.

Ps:
I put the optic from the X2000 (18650 version) on my RC-C6 II WW and it creates a MUCH better beam profile then the original lens. Anybody know where you i can order the same lens as the one that comes with the X2000?

MoreGooder

Newly Enlightened
I'll save you the trouble. I went through an exhaustive search and even contacted a manufacturer about the x2000 lens. The manufacturer said it couldn't sell since I wasn't OEM or some such. I just gave up on the idea.

If you really want that lens you have to simply purchase an x2000 an throw the rest away. Rediculous, but still less expenseive than going a real glass lens from ThorLabs or Edmunds Optics.

MoreGooder

Newly Enlightened
the x2000 have 22mm x 8mm lens

the lens of c8 are 27.7mm x how many mm????????????????????

I received today the mte m2 sku 33552
sku_33552_2_small.jpg

it have 26.5mm:twothumbs x only 8.1mm :thumbsdowlens .......too big focal length many lumens loosed in throw position :shakehead

One thing to consider, though is that since the focal length is longer, the projected image will be smaller and thus higher lux. If you want a strong throw, that's what you're shooting for. Of course, you're right in that the bigger the lens diameter the more light you collect from the LED.

Now.... if you want a good flood fill, you need that long focal length to create a large, homogenous spot. A short focal length lens will achieve a fairly good spot but with lots of flood around it. In some situations this is ideal anyay. Afterall, if you want to actually see something from a distance, it is better to see the object of interest brightly illuminated against a background of lesser illuminated objects to provide context. This makes it easier to actually visually scan to locate the primary object without having to "search light".

You can't have it perfectly both ways with a single lens. Either excellent flood, or tight and bright spot. In my opinion, the X2000 lens is the best balance between the two. But, don't be afraid of an "imperfect" lens that doesn't do either flood or throw perfectly, but gives a great performance anyway.

Latest posts