The worst polluters on the planet

D

**DONOTDELETE**

I don't get the joke....

"..Agriculture Minister Jim Sutton said climate change from greenhouse gases "is the world's biggest environmental problem. We have to do something about it." ..."

...is it that you don't believe in global warming?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
Global Warming is a bunch of B.S. A majority of the U.S.'s "greenhouse gases" come from cow farts...so I've read...

--dan

D

**DONOTDELETE**

http://yosemite.epa.gov/oar/globalwarming.nsf/content/Emissions.html

What Are Greenhouse Gases?
Some greenhouse gases occur naturally in the atmosphere, while others result from human activities. Naturally occuring greenhouse gases include water vapor, carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, and ozone. Certain human activities, however, add to the levels of most of these naturally occurring gases:

Carbon dioxide is released to the atmosphere when solid waste, fossil fuels (oil, natural gas, and coal), and wood and wood products are burned.

Methane is emitted during the production and transport of coal, natural gas, and oil. Methane emissions also result from the decomposition of organic wastes in municipal solid waste landfills, and the raising of livestock.

Nitrous oxide is emitted during agricultural and industrial activities, as well as during combustion of solid waste and fossil fuels.

Very powerful greenhouse gases that are not naturally occurring include hydrofluorocarbons (HFCs), perfluorocarbons (PFCs), and sulfur hexafluoride (SF6), which are generated in a variety of industrial processes.

Each greenhouse gas differs in its ability to absorb heat in the atmosphere. HFCs and PFCs are the most heat-absorbent. Methane traps over 21 times more heat per molecule than carbon dioxide, and nitrous oxide absorbs 270 times more heat per molecule than carbon dioxide. Often, estimates of greenhouse gas emissions are presented in units of millions of metric tons of carbon equivalents (MMTCE), which weights each gas by its GWP value, or Global Warming Potential.
------
  Once, all climate changes occurred naturally. However, during the Industrial Revolution, we began altering our climate and environment through changing agricultural and industrial practices. Before the Industrial Revolution, human activity released very few gases into the atmosphere, but now through population growth, fossil fuel burning, and deforestation, we are affecting the mixture of gases in the atmosphere.
--
--

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
TedtheLed said:
I don't get the joke...is it that you don't believe in global warming?

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure I do. Despite criticism from some quarters the great preponderance of scientific evidence from the US and virtually every other industralized nation supports the validity of global warming.

Most objections to the evidence have come from industries that are the prime polluters and their political supporters. But before we label them as criminals it might be useful to look at things from their perspective which is that environmental regulation is genuinely threatening to their business, leading to loss of their competitive edge, reduced income and a diminished role in the world's marketplace. These are legitimate concerns which must be appreciated and understood so that environmental protectors and industry heads can work together. It can be done and is being done with increasing success.

The linking of Republicans with industry and Democrats with environmentalists unfortunately obscures the real issue which is that we all should be working together to solve this problem because it is in everyone's interest to do so.

I posted that link simply because I found it funny. I immediately envisioned millions of little catalytic converters attached to bovine rear ends collecting cow farts by the billions. Yes, it's a real problem but it cracked me up just the same.

Brightnorm

D

**DONOTDELETE**

actually Brightnorm, it's been done. well not connected to catalytic converters, but to generators, power from barn gas; watch this space.

ok, here's just the first one, there are lots to be found with google, obviously it is a much researched and practiced method of energy recovery;

conversion of methane on the farm

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
METHANE FEVER (pop-up alert)

"An undersea methane explosion may have driven the most rapid warming episode of the past 90 million years

...55 million years ago a series of methane gas blasts may have choked the atmosphere with greenhouse gases at a pace similar to that at which the burning of fossil fuels pumps them into the air today."