Travelling with flashlights?

SarcoBlaster

Newly Enlightened
I'll be flying in about 2 weeks and was wondering if it would be alright if I took my 6P in my carry on luggage. I looked at link posted a while back listing the things that were banned in carry on luggages and flashlights weren't listed. Are there any particular things to say/not say if asked about the light (why do you have that, why do you need that, etc...)? Thanks for any help you guys can give.

*Edit* Forgot one more question, I will also have a spares carrier in my carry on luggage as well, so would the 6 123's and an extra lamp assembly be alright to take? Thanks again.

paulr

Flashaholic
I've never gotten seriously hassled about flying with flashlights. They turn it on to make sure it's what it looks like. The spares carrier looks a little more military and might be more of a problem, since it can't be turned on. The might pull out the spare lamp and look at it, which gets finger oils on it, etc. If you're checking any luggage, it's simplest to just put stuff like that in your checked bag.

tattoou2

Enlightened
A friend of mine had no problems recently flying out of Syracuse, NY to Las Vegas while carrying an ARC-AAA in his pocket; however, on his return flight his ARC was confiscated because he was told it could be "used as a weapon."

I guess it's a matter of how strictly security personnel interpret the guidelines on any given day, flight, particular airport, etc.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
yea i guess he could have filed someone to death with it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Tech a Billy

Newly Enlightened
I never would have thought that an ARC AAA would be considered dangerous by anyone, but who knows? Could you have made a stink? I mean, that's a reach.

I never try to carry contraband onboard airplanes/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif so my mission is to get through security as quickly and easily as possible.
I usually travel with a small fanny pack. When going through a security checkpoint everything I'm carrying goes in there (keys, loose change, wallet, credit cards, cellphone, eye glasses, wristwatch, jewelery, flashlights) so that I'm sure to go through the magnetometer without attracting any attention. Then the bag gets x-rayed and inside looks like a jumbled mess. As long as there is no apparent out line of a weapon then there is usually no problem.

I've heard of them turning a flashlight on to see if it works, but confiscation? "Where's your supervisor". /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif
Outside of the USA, it's another story however and putting everything in your checked luggage would be the way to go.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
The fact that we have to have discussions like this is why I refuse to fly anymore. If I can't drive there, I just won't go.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Everybody down on the ground--I've got an Arc AAA and I'm not afraid to use it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/banghead.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

The jerk probably has it on his keyring right now and tells all his buddies how he "confiscated" it.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

-Jason

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I've found it useful to print out dealer web pages illustrating and naming all my carry on lights. This immediately calms suspicions because Security sees that they are legitimate commercial products. Since mods use commercial bodies as hosts the same principle applies.

I wouldn't carry on lights big enough to be seen as striking weapons. The Tigerlight presents special problems because of its suspicious looking innards and I was warned against carrying it by a very knowledgeable member of CPF.

As a final touch I made up a "CPF ID card" that looks official enough to answer questions like "for what purpose do you carry so many flashlights"?

Brightnorm

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
__ said:
...As a worse-case scenario, be prepared to have your lights confiscated....

[/ QUOTE ]

KT, I almost never have checked luggage. Would you chance flying with a SF M6 in your carry on?

Brightnorm

gyverpete

Enlightened
If they ask the dumb question of what you use a flashlight for, answer them politely and restrain from sarcasm. And use brightnorm's idea of info sheets for your lights. Also, before you enter the airport, take a moment to open up the light and air out that lithium odor. If they smell it when inspecting a light they may have questions. Your spares should be placed in a small bag and secured with a rubberband or tape. You wouldn't want them shorting out. Consider putting them in checked baggage.
Don't risk setting off the walk thru detector by carrying something metal on you, even something small, since it may make them suspicious and submit you to closer scrutiny when they pull you aside. Don't give them the chance. When I fly, I put all objects that might set of the walk-thru detector in a ziploc bag inside my carry-on. I even put my belt and watch in there. That seems to be better and more efficient than putting your stuff in the basket. If they ask to see something, they don't have to go through my whole bag, just look through the ziploc. Chances are though that they won't even ask.
I've started carrying the TSA list of permitted and banned items in case they try to talk me into surrendering a permitted item they claim is not. If they insist, I would politely ask to speak to a supervisor. Be sure to allow a little extra time before your flight so you don't have to choose between missing your flight or giving up your gear.

Bottom line, make it as easy and non-threatening as you can for them. They may be a little jumpy as it is. Put their mind at ease and cooperate. But stand your ground when you know your right.

In some counties, though, I wouldn't take anything for granted. Probably every item is open to interpretation. (Escuse me sir, did you really think you could take that wristwatch on the plane?)

And as for the confiscated AAA, that guard definitely took it for himself. Bummer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Panzerfaust

Newly Enlightened
ARC AAA=a weapon?

Get real.
Just yesterday I heard on the radio about a fellow who had his expensive cigarette lighter confiscated by the TSA.
Sounds to me like they are being awful selective in what they are "confiscating" from people so the "where's your supervisor?" routine definately couldn't hurt in those circumstances.
Who knows...if you are really lucky you might just get the officious, sticky-fingered moron fired so he doesn't run that scam on anyone else.

Tomas

Banned
Re: ARC AAA=a weapon?

... and if you do get a bit riled and ask politely to speak with a supervisor, make certain to have someone with you, but at a safe distance and not directly involved, so that they can tell others later how it was you disappeared ... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I no longer fly. (And yes, I know, this means that the terrorists have won. Nothing I can do about it.)

Between my medically-necessary metallic accessories (cane, wheelchair, etc.) and the fact that stark nekkid my bod sets off metal detectors, it's just not worth the hassle to have some underpaid minion annoy me to the full extent of his impressive powers and amazing ego. Pfaugh!

T_sig6.gif

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic

Last time I flew was November of 2001...

I didn't take ANYTHING sharp or light producing. I still got the extra wanding and pat down. And I'm a very average white male.

We are talking about driving to Vegas later this year just so we don't have to be hassled by the Nazis at the Airports.

However, I would say if asked that I carry a light (especially a bright light like a Surefire!) so as to always be prepared, since you NEVER know when you might need a light. If I had to exit said airplane in any kind of non-standard fashion, I'd be DAMN glad I had a flashlight!!!

I'd also consider having a self addresed package available so I could mail it back to me instead of said NAZI owning it!

Stanley

Flashlight Enthusiast

hmm.. I thought that instead of confiscating the item, don't they put it into an envelope (one of those thick cardboard ones) and then seal and send it together with the flight to your destination, where you would be able to pick it up at the security office or something like that?

I once flew from S'pore to Aust many years ago, and (stupidly) had this lighter on my keychain that was shaped like a bullet (i realise the foolishness of it now, bringing that on a plane). The customs in S'pore simply told me I couldn't carry it, and put it into an envelope and had me pick it up at the airport when I got in to Melb...

gyverpete

Enlightened

Flashlights aren't even mentioned in the TSA list of prohibitted/permited items. So they don't consider them to be questionable at all. I can't see why any security person would hassle a passenger over a small flashlight unless they wanted it for themselves. I can understand if it was, say, a 6D MAG "club"! Flashlights are inherently harmless...
...unless you intend to poke someone's eye out with it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/poke2.gif
...but that can be said of fingers and pens too, and I'm sorry but I never travel without these either. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Catapult

Enlightened

[ QUOTE ]
...but that can be said of fingers and pens too, and I'm sorry but I never travel without these either.

[/ QUOTE ]You don't travel with your fingers? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Must be real tough trying to carry and hold all the luggage...