Sanyo 2100 mAh for Panasonic cordless phone?

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
My mom got one of these babies (http://www.ablecomm.com/kxpancorphon1.html) less than a year ago but found that she practically had to charge the handset every night. The first battery came and went. The second battery in service didn't do too well either. I was wondering if it's a good idea to put Sanyo 2100 mAh Ni-MHs in the phone?

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
I suspect that most cordless phone charging circuits charge at a continuous rate that is unhealthy for NiMHs.

kitelights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought two of that series and one of the main features that made me get it was that it had NiMH. I just looked and the one I have at my house is a 2550, and I don't remember which one I got my mother. I specifically got a NiMH because she has had so many problems in the past with battery life and memory, etc. Just open the back and look at the pack and see if it's NiCad or NiMH. If she's on the phone constantly or if the base is located a good distance from the handset or if there is some type of interference, then it is possible to require daily charging, but it's not the norm. You could have a bad pac, or a bad charging circuit. The first thing I would try is to clean the contacts on both the phone and base. Oxidation and dirt is a very common problem and causes charging problems.

freeze12

Enlightened
I own 2 Panasonic 2650N phone's with NIMH batteries and have had nothing but problem's with both phone's & Battery life. I called Panasonic about a year ago & they said that they had some problem's with the NIMH Batteries & they sent me 2 new set's, They were fine for a while then the same problem...called Panasonic & they said thet they would not do anything being that the phone's were out of warranty. I tend to think that they knew of the problem & it was cheaper to replace the Battery than the defective phone's. I made a NIMH Battery pack & still the same problem.... very short Battery life.

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
freeze12,

I remembered the good old days when Sony and Panasonic competed for the cordless phone market some 10 years before. Both companies made quality products that lasted for years. Now Sony has practically dropped out of the market and Panasonic products seem more have more issues than before (I have 5 Panasonic phones at home with 3 of them being Gigarange cordless models).

BTW, I just purchased a 2238S, which will replace one of the older Gigarange model (not the oldest, which still works great with a replacement battery pack made of 3 Sanyo 2100 mAH Ni-MHs).

freeze12

Enlightened
Alan... You are correct on Panasonic's quality not being up to par as a few year's ago. I still have the first Giga Range made by Panasonic KX-TG200 and the phone still work's great! Unlike the 2 newer piece's of junk I have from them & which I paid a lot for at the time of purchase. I am currently looking for a couple of 2.4's to replace these but vowed not to buy Panasonic again...just the decision on a good Manufacturer?????

Alan Hsu

Enlightened
freeze12,

That's also my dilemma. I opted to buy the Panasonic 2238S since I don't products from other manufacturer are any better.