A2 LED Aviator owners . . .

Hobbs

Newly Enlightened
Flood, throw or both? I read the marketing info, but want to know what owners think. Members convinced me that LX2 was mainly throw. Thinking of using my REI discount and dividend to get one with all white LEDs. Use would be general around the house and night walks in the mountains when out of town on mental relaxation trips. Are the run times given by SF accurate? I have some nice, less expensive lights, but I NEED to own a Surefire! No sense in going to work everyday if you can't spend some of it foolishly.:twothumbs

greenLED

Flashaholic
:welcome: Hobbs.

I'd say the A2's beam is fairly tight (compared to say, an e2e or a Pila light), but still provides enough sidespill for utilitarian use.

Check out the pics in this thread; might give you an idea of what the beam profile looks like (at least against a wall).

Alberta-Blue

Newly Enlightened
Well I own both so I may as well chime in here.

The LX2 is basically a throw monster in its catagory and pretty good for mid range and further use. The high beam easily throws a pencil thin beam a stinkin' long way (my own unit of measurement :grin2:) albeit with below average side spill. The low beam is a pretty good thrower in its own right and great for conserving power for longer duration use. This little guy is perfect when you need to see at range and are not really too concerned with your peripherals. The TIR optic is solid and well constructed and, in my case, the LED is perfectly centered. The beam pattern isnt as clean as with a reflector, but it doesnt make any perceivable impact on practical use.

The A2L-WH is more of my go to light for indoor or mid to close range use. The 10 lumen low flood is great for lighting up a wide area with enough light to preserve your night vision while still getting a pretty good level of detail and a nice long runtime for extended use. The 120 lumen high beam is great for a slight boost to the flood area and puts out a fairly tight, bright, and smooth hot spot with about mid range throw (but not much past that).

They both have their specific uses and I like them both...

Last edited:

JNewell

Flashlight Enthusiast
Flood, throw or both? I read the marketing info, but want to know what owners think. Members convinced me that LX2 was mainly throw. Thinking of using my REI discount and dividend to get one with all white LEDs. Use would be general around the house and night walks in the mountains when out of town on mental relaxation trips. Are the run times given by SF accurate? I have some nice, less expensive lights, but I NEED to own a Surefire! No sense in going to work everyday if you can't spend some of it foolishly.:twothumbs

Just for clarity, you're talking about the A2L? Not the original A2 that had LEDs for the low level? On the LX2, REI is unfortunately sold out and won't get any more back in stock while the sale is on. :(

Hobbs

Newly Enlightened
Just for clarity, you're talking about the A2L? Not the original A2 that had LEDs for the low level? On the LX2, REI is unfortunately sold out and won't get any more back in stock while the sale is on. :(

Yes the A2L.