50mW green laser pointer tailcap for a Maglite

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
I wasn't sure if this should be posted here or here.

I have an idea for a tailcap design for a Maglite. My idea is to install a 50mW or 5mW green laser module in the tailcap of the Maglite and have the laser aperture on the end, so you flip the Maglite around, it could be used as a laser pointer. Cool idea right? I would love to start building at least one of these to see how this would work. And if successful maybe sell them here. But one the questions I have is, where do I buy a raw D sized Maglite tailcap? Are they sold separately?

Here is a very basic idea of what this might look like. The tailcap would probably extend a bit farther.

maglitelaser.jpg

Also, would there be a demand for these? If I made 10 of them would anyone buy them?

Last edited:

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
Here is a 3D rendering of what it might look like

The first one is a non modified D sized tailcap for a Maglite. The second two are what the laser tailcap should look like. Its an inch longer because the laser module is pretty big. And it needs room to be properly heatsink'd, and for the circuitry in the bottom to convert the voltage to 3v.

lasertailcap.png

Everett

Newly Enlightened
How will you get a connection to the + side of the batteries? Are you going to run power through the bulb while the laser is on?

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
Thats another thing I'm trying to work out. it wouldn't be much of a drop in if you have to run a positive wire down the shaft. I could get away with it since my mag is running C size lithium batteries and has space. But this has to be compatible for all D size mag's.

Daravon

Newly Enlightened
You could probably easily drive enough current to power the laser, just by using the incandescent bulb as the connection...the resistance is not that high. Of course that rules out LED mags, though.