Beam profiles of Malkoff dropins to Surefire

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am a satisfied owner to as well Malkoff dropins to several Maglites and a MD2 and MD4 Wildcat. Recently I received my first Surefires; a 6P and 9P. Great lights and brighter than I expected in their incan versions.

But I am considering improve these lights with each Malkoff dropin. To the 6P I think about M60LL. I wonder: has the M60LL the same beam profile as the stock MD2/is the only difference a lower output?
Also I consider a M60WL dropin.
I ask this because I don't find any information about the beam profile of the stock MD2 compared to the dropins to Surefires.

AND: Are these dropins ready to use in a Surefire without any other addition?

Regards, Patric

jp2515

Flashlight Enthusiast
AND: Are these dropins ready to use in a Surefire without any other addition?

The Malkoffs will work in any P, Z, C series lights no problem. You will need the spacer ring (Malkoff sells these) or a spring (similar to the DX drop in outer springs) for them to work in a M series (M2) light

Noctis

Enlightened
I kind of frown upon the Malkoff dropins mostly because it's a true custom dropin that is in ridiculously short supply. I have this sneaking suspicion that I will never be able to get my hands on one of their high output dropins unless I sit in front of my computer for the next 3 months without sleep.

carrot

Flashaholic
I kind of frown upon the Malkoff dropins mostly because it's a true custom dropin that is in ridiculously short supply. I have this sneaking suspicion that I will never be able to get my hands on one of their high output dropins unless I sit in front of my computer for the next 3 months without sleep.
M60LL is the same optic as the M60, which is generally the default drop-in for the MD2.

Yes, ALL Malkoff Surefire drop-ins will work in any of P60-compatible Surefires out of the box, although the M2 requires an additional adaptor.

And Noctis, please don't frown too much, because I have good word that Gene is trying to make sure everyone who wants an M61 will be able to get one soon. He hopes to have a full production run this month. Hopefully things go as planned.

Noctis

Enlightened
Well, that does sound like good news.

Anyone know if I should go for the M61 on 2x18500s over a NB SST-50 with 1x18650? I'm not sure I can get an SST-50 to run on 2x18500s.

Greg G

Enlightened
There is good reason they sell like hotcakes.

I get a grin everytime I see how well a farmboy out-does an engineer. :D

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for answers,

The 8 hours runtime of M60LL is attractive, though I wonder if I will experience the 80lm to be too dim. Especially at such a moderate output I guess I would prefer the typhical reflector beam, because of the brighter spill within the width of the reflector beam profile.
The 140lm (or 100 for warm white) will provide 4,5hours runtime which isn't bad eather.

*Does anyone know about how long time the Malkoffs provide useful light when the batteries become low and it goes direct drive?
(Just now I investigate it with the MD2, but don't know if it's the same with all of them)

*Will the high low bezel switch work in the Surefire?

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

mpkav

Newly Enlightened
Well, that does sound like good news.

Anyone know if I should go for the M61 on 2x18500s over a NB SST-50 with 1x18650? I'm not sure I can get an SST-50 to run on 2x18500s.

I just got my M61 and am going to run it on 2 18650s!! I'm not 100% sure if the Nailbender can run off 2 18500s. I know it CANT run off 2 18650s. If you can get your hands on an M61 you won't be sorry!!!!

Noctis

Enlightened
I just got my M61 and am going to run it on 2 18650s!! I'm not 100% sure if the Nailbender can run off 2 18500s. I know it CANT run off 2 18650s. If you can get your hands on an M61 you won't be sorry!!!!
I have this nagging feeling that it'll be gone in the 8-9 hours I spend working or sleeping(on either one).

Mikellen

Enlightened
Thanks for answers,

The 8 hours runtime of M60LL is attractive, though I wonder if I will experience the 80lm to be too dim. Especially at such a moderate output I guess I would prefer the typhical reflector beam, because of the brighter spill within the width of the reflector beam profile.
The 140lm (or 100 for warm white) will provide 4,5hours runtime which isn't bad eather.

*Do anyone know about how long time the Malkoffs provide useful light when the batteries become low and it goes direct drive?
(Just now I investigate it with the MD2, but don't know if it's the same with all of them)

*Will the high low bezel switch work in the Surefire?

Regards, Patric

High/Low Bezel switch will not work in the Surefire.:(

Mikellen

Enlightened
M60LL is the same optic as the M60, which is generally the default drop-in for the MD2.

Yes, ALL Malkoff Surefire drop-ins will work in any of P60-compatible Surefires out of the box, although the M2 requires an additional adaptor.

And Noctis, please don't frown too much, because I have good word that Gene is trying to make sure everyone who wants an M61 will be able to get one soon. He hopes to have a full production run this month. Hopefully things go as planned.

Has Gene made any mention of a warm tinted version M61? ( I hope, I hope,
I hope).

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
High/Low Bezel switch will not work in the Surefire.:(

Ok. But therefore my intention to not get the highest lumens dropin is a good idéa. About my investigation my MD2 runs at direct drive since a few hours with low but fully useful brightness, so even if I can't use high low bezel for very long runtime I will still get hours of useful brightness after the regulated runtime. I hope it's the same with all models.
Surefire has it's advantages like anti-rolling function and the twist/clicky to avoid accidently activation. Also I love the design of 6/9P...

Has Gene made any mention of a warm tinted version M61? ( I hope, I hope, I hope).

Agree! :thumbsup:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just made the decision and ordered a M60LL to the 6P and a M60LF to 9P...:popcorn:

Update: the MD2 still runs at very low but useful brightness more than 20 hours after falling out of regulation.

Last edited:

NightKids

Enlightened
Hmm done some research and decided that either a 6P or a C2 would be a good base for my Malkoff M61.

The thing is I would ideally like a clicky, tail stand and hi/low setting.

I know that there's the McClicky, but it doesn't seem to be able to adjust brightness. You guys able to advise what I would need to accomplish my 3 goals.

P.S. Sorry bit of a n00b as this will be my 1st SureFire. If I should be posting this question somewhere else plz let me know! Cheers

BigHonu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmm done some research and decided that either a 6P or a C2 would be a good base for my Malkoff M61.

The thing is I would ideally like a clicky, tail stand and hi/low setting.

I know that there's the McClicky, but it doesn't seem to be able to adjust brightness. You guys able to advise what I would need to accomplish my 3 goals.

P.S. Sorry bit of a n00b as this will be my 1st SureFire. If I should be posting this question somewhere else plz let me know! Cheers

6P and the C2 are excellent hosts.

However, they do not come with clickies, do not tailstand, and are not inherently multi-level.

So, they are missing three out of three of your requirements, though there could be workarounds of some sort for each with either custom parts or accessories.

You can get a MD2, dual level ring (when they are back in stock or snag one over on CPFM), and a Malkoff clip and you will have everything you are looking for.

Still, it sounds like you are set on getting a Surefire host, which is not a bad thing. Just realize that they don't come to you in the configuration you are looking for, but may be able to get it there at some point.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yesterday I received the Malkoffs M60LL and M60LF. I placed LL in 6P and LF in 9P.

The beam of M60LL is similar to the beam of my MD2. The output was a bit lower than I expected: according to the lightmeter it's slightly lower than stock incan and less than 1/3 of the output of MD2 which is stated to 230lumens. The tint of LL is warmer than the tint of MD2, I like that.
The 8 hour regulated runtime with 2xCr123 is very attractive with this dropin and will quite much justify the much lower brightness. The effiency is higher with the lower output and the total light output during the runtime is much higher.

M60LF provides a great floodbeam with a huge hotspot and the output I measure to more than twice as M60LL, very similar to stock 9P incan. This one is great for indoor and close distance use and provides more than 6 hours regulated runtime with 3xCr123.

Of course I can change the heads between these lights and get 12 hours runtime with M60LL in the 9P, or 4+ hours runtime with M60LF in the 6P.

About the non-flood M60 beam this has it's pros and cons. To be honest I prefer a typhical reflector beam with brighter spill but narrower total beam size, especially when using low output. Anyway I find Malkoff as usual to be a very great product!

Regards, Patric

Last edited:

NightKids

Enlightened
6P and the C2 are excellent hosts.

However, they do not come with clickies, do not tailstand, and are not inherently multi-level.

So, they are missing three out of three of your requirements, though there could be workarounds of some sort for each with either custom parts or accessories.

You can get a MD2, dual level ring (when they are back in stock or snag one over on CPFM), and a Malkoff clip and you will have everything you are looking for.

Still, it sounds like you are set on getting a Surefire host, which is not a bad thing. Just realize that they don't come to you in the configuration you are looking for, but may be able to get it there at some point.

Umm isn't the MD2 the malkoff host? Or is there an MD2 thing for SureFire?

Also I heard that with SureFire hosts you cannot change from low/high. Would this be true?

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Update: the MD2 still runs at very low but useful brightness more than 20 hours after falling out of regulation.

20 hours of dim candle!! Thsts pretty good for an M60. You were using primaries... right? RCR123 cells don't like this kind of treatment. Thats the nice thing about primaries in a low current application, you can just run them till' they croak.

I actually like running my M60 with an 18650, it runs slightly cooler and lower output... with significantly extended run times over RCR123s.

Your output results sound about right. The M60LL is meant to be an 80 Lumen direct replacement for the P60L, so it will be significanly dimmer than the standard M60 in your MD2.

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
20 hours of dim candle!! Thsts pretty good for an M60. You were using primaries... right? RCR123 cells don't like this kind of treatment. Thats the nice thing about primaries in a low current application, you can just run them till' they croak.

I actually like running my M60 with an 18650, it runs slightly cooler and lower output... with significantly extended run times over RCR123s.

Your output results sound about right. The M60LL is meant to be an 80 Lumen direct replacement for the P60L, so it will be significanly dimmer than the standard M60 in your MD2.

Yes, I use primary CR123.
When I tried the direct drive runtime with the MD3 tube I think I got shorter time, if I measured correct time.
This made me to wonder about the physical aspects with different batteries. Malkoff M60s are regulated between 3,8V and 9V. This means that at the point where 3xCR123 goes below 3,8V they are lower than 2xCR123 at the same point (1,27V per cell vs 1,9V). In my thinking this should result in a regulated runtime with three cells a bit longer than 50%, but instead a shorter time direct drive, compared to two cells.
I guess I need to make the test again to confirm it, but it sounds logical for me...:thinking:

The good thing with such a long time direct drive is that I will not be suddenly left in the dark, and though the lack of low mode option as with Malkoff MD2 host I will still have many hours low mode when the batteries go low. I really like the Surefire 6P/9P hosts, with the simple anti-rolling design and excellent knurled grip! Which doesn't mean I don't like Malkoff host as well.

Regards, Patric

Last edited: