Breakfast Sausage

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Sausage is one of those great Sunday morning foods. Lately, I've been trying out different sausages.

This morning I had Jimmy Dean Hickory and it was so-so. The hickory tasted like watered down bacon and it was very subtle. I'll pass on this one.

Their Sage sausage remains at the top of the list followed by Farmer John brand sausage.

I've tried making homemade sausage and while it's tasty, it wasn't worth the hassle.

Anyone else?

Ross

Enlightened
square sausage!! its a bit of a delicacy here in Scotland....I eat it all the time with black pudding & haggis when we have a fry up.

Dont know if you can get it in the USA but if you can - get it!

Ross

Flashlightboy

Enlightened
Ross,

What is this square sausage? I've been to Ireland and have had blood sausage. It's tasty stuff.

Ross

Enlightened
Its proper name is Lorne Sausage, although its served as slices, rather than the usual 'tubes'. Have a look here for the recipe.

Enjoy!

Ross

hula

Newly Enlightened
I used to like Cajun smokey sausages with my Sunday morning brekfast.I still would if Sainsburys hadn't decided to stop doing them for some reason. They were just about right with just enough kick in em!

Hula.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ross, that Lorne sausage sounds a bit like a Pennsylvania Dutch product known as Scrapple over here. It comes as a big square that you slice and fry up and is absolutely great, one of my favorite morning dishes growing up. When we go to my inlaws in New Mexico my wifes Aunt and Uncle usually give us homemade venison sausage that is out of this world!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

TSG /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Makes me want to run down the street and yell "I am a saussage!!! I am a saussage!!!" (from the Barney Splat BBS door game).
Oh wait...can't do that because my Rascal only goes about 5MPH on level streets when I put the hammer down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Back on topic, I think Jimmy Dean makes decent breakfast sausage patties, if you cook them right. It's been years since I've eaten sausages at a restaraunt, so I don't have any recommendations to offer there.

BentHeadTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
tsg68,
Scrapple, the stuff that I am familiar with is pig skull meat pressure cooked off the skull (amaze your friends /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif After 4 hours or so of pressure cooking, scrape the meat off the skulls and mix with corn meal. Cut it up into thin (1/4" or 6mm thick) Fry the stuff up in a pan and cut into squares. Slap a little butter on it and enjoy.
My inlaws are from the country out in Kansas and they make it from time to time. Take it easy on the meat, it has a strong taste so don't go crazy.

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like to brown the scrapple heavily, its even better when it's got a good brown crisp to the outside. It isn't really available here in NYC and the only place that serves it (A joint in Red Hook, Brooklyn called Hope and Anchor) doesn't know how to cook it right maybe I should give the cook some lessons. I just ate and I'm gettin' hungry again just thinking about it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

whiskypapa3

Enlightened
BentHeadTX has it about right, mostly cornmeal, lard, pork head meat, salt and various spices. Some of the diners back in Camden deep fry it and serve maple syrup and butter over it.

One of the brands in Philly used to advertise thiers "Contains No Snouts". Quality stuff.

It was a dinner staple back in the thirties around our neighborhood, fried cornmeal was for breakfast on Sunday...

Ginseng

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been enjoying some Polish kielbasa made by this little shop in NYC. Very little fat, smoked, just amazingly delicious. Makes that Hillshire Farms stuff seem like a Big Mac next to a T-bone.

Wilkey

tsg68

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wilkey, Ya gotta love NYC, I used to watch them bring out the Kielbasa for delivery in the morning when I worked in Greenpoint Brooklyn (Large Polish community here) My wife and I go to two polish restaurants here, one in Brooklyn Heights called Theresa's and another in Park Slope Brooklyn called Monica's. Monica's is more traditional but they both serve excellent food. MMMMM!

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Delicious, crummptious, mouth watering

Heart Attack On A PLate.

I'm just jealous that I can no longer indulge.

Brightnorm

UK Owl

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Jeff said:
Ross,

What is this square sausage? I've been to Ireland and have had blood sausage. It's tasty stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]

Jeff,

Lorne or 'square' sausage is a Scottish recipie sausage, but instead of extruding it into tubes, it is produced in slices usually about 4 inch square and half an inch thick.

Blood sausage is probably what we refer to as 'black pudding' in wales, it is made mainly from pigs blood /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif mixed with oatmeal and contains white lumps, these are suet.

Before cooking it is a reddish brown colour with white lumps in it, and black with white lumps when cooked (slice the 'raw' sausage, then grill or fry it).

Whilst this may sound disgusting, and be very bad for you to eat, but it is exceptionally tasty /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif, and is considered to be an integral part of the traditional 'English' cooked breakfast.

Both Lorne sausage and black pudding are available in most supermarkets in the UK, and nearly all butchers shops in the UK sell black pudding.

For both of these, all I can say is if you ever get a chance to try them, do so and you will be pleasantly surprised !