Further Customizing my 6P 1x18650, need opinions.

Noctis

Enlightened
Okay, so I currently have a bored Surefire 6P host that uses one AW18650 battery, and I'm thinking about further customizing it. Sadly, the ThruNite XP-G 1.5A dropin I ordered isn't here yet, so I'm left with an empty host.

There are two main "upgrades" I'm considering:
1) A Malkoff M61 or M60 MC-E, possibly both.
2) An A19 extender to run two 18500s.

There's little doubt I'm going to get one of Nailbender's SST-50 dropins, and I ordered one of ElektroLumen's DeCree XP-G's(though it is on back order for about a month). I figure the DeCree will be good for throw and super intense hotspots with the 5.5 degree beam. So I'm probably going to want one with directly opposite characteristics(high intensity flood).

However, the Malkoff dropins seem to be in very poor availability, and I'm starting to think I have a better chance of winning the lottery than getting one.

The Dereelight MC-E dropin caught my eye, but I'm wondering if there isn't a very good reason why the Malkoff MC-E is $60 more expensive.

If I understand correctly though, running 2 18500s will blow my SST-50(ditto with 2 RCR123s) and should only be considered to get the most out of a Malkoff MC-E. Plus I'd need to buy more batteries and the proper charger. Also kinda worried that extending my 6P will take it out of the "pocket" size category.

Lastly, I'm wondering if I'm simply using two different dropins for roughly the same effect.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
checkout the fivemega turbohead!
It works as an "extender" reflector to whatever drop-in
you've got. works better with some - supposed to be good
with the NBs.
Im trying to save the $crillz for it but am failing so far..

also, EG is supposed to have UCLs for the 6ps and c2 soon.

I got a tailstanding shroud for mine and leave it on most of the time.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
oh and the linger special by nb is
the floodiest probably and you can get it in warm/neutral!

Noctis

Enlightened
checkout the fivemega turbohead!
It works as an "extender" reflector to whatever drop-in
you've got. works better with some - supposed to be good
with the NBs.
Im trying to save the $crillz for it but am failing so far..

also, EG is supposed to have UCLs for the 6ps and c2 soon.

I got a tailstanding shroud for mine and leave it on most of the time.
Ah well, that head looks awfully bulky and would make it difficult to pocket-carry.

I think that a single A19 extender is about as far as I'm willing to push it. Though I don't think I can run NB's SST-50 dropin with 2x18500s like that. Unless Malkoff's M61 dropin is just as bright with 2x18500s, but I believe those won't be available until May, and even then they'll be hard to grab.

I've got an UCL for my 6P which seems to have a small spot that looks sort of like having a layer on sunglasses peeled off a little, but hopefully that doesn't affect the beam much.

I'm thinking that 2x18500s with my ThruNite XP-G would be the best setup I can hope for right now.

Greg G

Enlightened
If it were me, I think I'd have to get a Nailbender SST-50. Just run it on 1 18650 cell, preferably an AW 2600. You're not going to permanently attach the extension, are you?

An SST-50 is great in that size light. Very powerful and pocketable.

If you buy one, my bet is you get another host for the Tru-nite drop-in.

Noctis

Enlightened
If it were me, I think I'd have to get a Nailbender SST-50. Just run it on 1 18650 cell, preferably an AW 2600. You're not going to permanently attach the extension, are you?

An SST-50 is great in that size light. Very powerful and pocketable.

If you buy one, my bet is you get another host for the Tru-nite drop-in.
Personally, I think I already burned enough money on just the 6P host. I'd rather make it work with just that rather than buy another host.

Maybe I'm just overdoing the whole thing trying to expect more from an already great drop-in, but I guess I'm like "Tim-the-toolman-Taylor" from Home Improvement, I just need "more power". In which case, I have to question why I picked the 6P in the first place, and it keeps leading back to pocket-carry.

I'm actually a little curious as to how the Malkoff M61 compares with the Nailbender SST-50. More throw? Less spill? More concentrated hotspot? Better runtime? Better heatsink?

I know I'll be able to run 2x18500s on the M61, but I'm still not clear on the benefits of 2 batteries(more lumens? Longer runtime?).

Of course, I heard the SST is more "efficient", thus allowing it to output more lumens longer on less batteries.

Greg G

Enlightened
I can't speak to the M61 as I haven't been online enough to grab one while available. I have been so satisfied with my SSR-50/C2 Centurion that I have forgotten about P-7's and MC-E's.

You can get a Solarforce host cheap for the XP-G. Or...if you must have a Surefire host, which I like to use becaue of the name*, watch the MP for a parted out 6P. They go cheap sometimes.

If you do get an SSR-50 light make darn sure you improve the heatsinking by filling the gap between the drop-in and the host with either a custom made aluminum bushing or some sheet aluminum. It will help the emitter run much cooler.

*When I die my wife will sell a modded Surefire much more easily than my Solarforce's, which is a pity, they are equal after I'm through with them.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
Did you put a UCL AR coated lens yet? If not you are loosing a some 10% lumens just by that alone.

Now; the Malkoff MC-E is 100% all Flood and the driver pushes 2.1A at the LED.

The Dereelight has a reflector P60 type and even in OP its not purty. It also drives the LED at 2.1A and makes about the same OTF as the Malkoff. The difference is the the build quality and what you prefer.

I like the Dereelight because I can un-screw the pill and put it in my DBS turbo head or in a TLS 2.5in Turbo head, but I rather own the Malkoff MC-E.

Noctis

Enlightened
I can't speak to the M61 as I haven't been online enough to grab one while available. I have been so satisfied with my SSR-50/C2 Centurion that I have forgotten about P-7's and MC-E's.

You can get a Solarforce host cheap for the XP-G. Or...if you must have a Surefire host, which I like to use becaue of the name*, watch the MP for a parted out 6P. They go cheap sometimes.

If you do get an SSR-50 light make darn sure you improve the heatsinking by filling the gap between the drop-in and the host with either a custom made aluminum bushing or some sheet aluminum. It will help the emitter run much cooler.

*When I die my wife will sell a modded Surefire much more easily than my Solarforce's, which is a pity, they are equal after I'm through with them.
Well, heatsinking is only an issue if I intend to keep the light on for longer than 5 minutes at a time right? I don't know about you, but shoving aluminum foil in that gap just seems...sloppy to me. Don't people usually use copper tape or wire?

Also not sure where Arctic Silver 5 fits into the equation, or if I even need it.

Dave Keith

Newly Enlightened
I have both an MC-E and an SST-50 from NailBender and you will certainly not be unhappy with either, but the SST-50 is pretty amazing. I have not acquired an M61 yet.

As far as other accessories for your 6P, I like a lanyard and a SF Combat Ring for my 6PD. I've also found the flip up red filter (I forget the model number for this) to be a nice addition.

You gotta love the numerous options for making a 6P like you like it.

Noctis

Enlightened
Lanyard seemed a little too long and messy for pocket carry. I prefer the clips instead.

I guess 500-ish lumens is about the best anyone can expect from a flashlight this size and with at least an hour of runtime.

Greg G

Enlightened
I didn't say to use aluminum foil, but sheet. I personally make aluminum bushings on my lathe, but I doubt you have that option.

The SST-50's generate a lot of heat. I'd strongly recommend thermally connecting the drop-in to the light body.

Greg

Well, heatsinking is only an issue if I intend to keep the light on for longer than 5 minutes at a time right? I don't know about you, but shoving aluminum foil in that gap just seems...sloppy to me. Don't people usually use copper tape or wire?

Also not sure where Arctic Silver 5 fits into the equation, or if I even need it.

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use strips of aluminum printing plates from work.
the copper tape is probably the best but Im too lazy to order..

the AS-5 goes on the threads of the pill and is probably not
necessary but BIG C seems to be getting better #s with it
so thats what Im rockin in mine.

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
I use strips of aluminum printing plates from work.
the copper tape is probably the best but Im too lazy to order..

the AS-5 goes on the threads of the pill and is probably not
necessary but BIG C seems to be getting better #s with it
so thats what Im rockin in mine.

Not just better, but amazing results with the AS5.:crackup: Just put it around the threads where the pill meets the reflector and thats it.

You will notice the bezel get warmer/hotter with the AS5 on the threads too. The lumens go up and they stay up longer.

I use 3M Copper Tape around the modules till they are a tight fit in my 6P or L2 hosts.

I also like the flat titanium rings that go on the 6P bezels. They look great and I am sure you would like them too.

Here I put wayyyy tooo much AS5, but just so you can see what it looks like.
P3070001.jpg

P3070003.jpg

P3070005.jpg

P3010025.jpg

recDNA

Flashaholic
But if any of that Arctic Silver gets on the reflector it's ruined right? I don't see how you'd avoid it.

BTW, what purpose does the large spring serve? I usually take it off.

Some sites sell the copper tape with adhesive on one side. I assume that' no good in a flashlight?

Last edited:

bigchelis

Flashlight Enthusiast
But if any of that Arctic Silver gets on the reflector it's ruined right? I don't see how you'd avoid it.

BTW, what purpose does the large spring serve? I usually take it off.

Some sites sell the copper tape with adhesive on one side. I assume that' no good in a flashlight?

The spring is needed on my L2 hosts, but not on my 6P's. If I could go without using them the better:twothumbs