The Kruithof Curve Flashlight - Concept

copperfox

Enlightened
This flashlight, as I envision it, doesn't exist yet. The idea for this light is inspired by the Kruithof Curve. The following is only a preliminary design. I hope we can discuss this flashlight and refine the concept. Hopefully, in time, someone better equipped and skilled than me will build a prototype.

This flashlight doesn't have any kind of hard specs, such as LED or battery type. It's centered around the idea that at higher brightness levels, we humans observe higher CCT light as "white" while at lower brightnesses we perceive lower CCT light as "white." In laymans terms, 500 lumens of 6000k light may appear white, but if you turn that light down to 5 lumens, it's going to seem quite blue. The reverse is also true. 5 lumens of 3500k light may seem white, but bump that brightness up significantly and it will appear yellowish.

The preliminary design of the flashlight is as follows: The flashlight has a main rotary knob (like mag mods that use the Shark driver and an external potentiometer) that controls brightness, CCT, and beam angle all SIMULTANEOUSLY. As the knob is turned clockwise, the flashlight gets brighter, cooler in color temp, and the beam narrows. The idea is that close up objects don't require as much light and a simultaneously wider beam angle to be seen. If engineered properly, such as light as this one could be a true all-in-one flashlight. Low, warm colored light in a nice flood for close up, medium brightness with medium color with a general purpose beam, and bright white throw would all be available with smooth, infinite variation in-between.

There have already been some adventurers into this arena, namely Data's Spy 007 Tri-V CPF, and McGizmo's LunaSol. While these lights are both impressive, the concept of the Kruithof flashlight implies a smooth and nearly infinitely-stepped transition of all three beam characteristics, without distinct modes that would "jolt" the user between differing states.

Here is a rough table that gives you an idea of how the three parameters would correlate to each other. I have no idea if the CCTs and beam angles I put down are appropriate for the corresponding flux levels. Testing and adjustment would be necessary.

flux CCT main beam divergence (not counting spill)

1000lm 6000k 4 degrees

250lm 5400k 6 degrees

100lm 5000k 10 degrees

25lm 4000k 12 degrees

5 lm 3500k 18 degrees

1 lm 3000k 25 degrees

0.1 lm 2900k 40 degrees

Of course, the current state of LED technology means that to create a flashlight like this would require multiple LEDs and the smooth switching between them in order to create a gradual shift from one color temperature to another. This alone may not be so difficult if the flashlight is large enough to accommodate 2-5 different color LEDs in the head, but the difficulty is compounded by ability to focus. To have the focusing take place at the same time as color and output variation, some kind of small electric motors would be required to move the secondary optics, be it TIR or traditional reflector, away from the LED.

The Kruithof Curve flashlight Generation 2 includes a laser ranging device (the laser should not be visible) built into the head that constantly monitors the distance to the target that the flashlight is being pointed at. In real time it smoothly and automatically adjusts the beam to compensate for changes in distance.

I find it interesting that this is one area where incandescents have a leg up on LEDs. With a regular filament, as you overdrive it, it naturally gets both brighter and higher in CCT at the same time. It's funny that an "obsolete" technology would be able to do natively what we have to engineer complex electronics to do with modern components.

Last edited:

copperfox

Enlightened
Computer control would look something like this:

Take angle of rotary dial, convert into a range from 0-255

At knob value 0, output 1ma to all warm emitters and move motors to maximum "defocus" position

At knob value 125, output 50ma to all warm emitters, 2 amps to all neutral emitters, and 500ma to all cool white emitters, move motors to moderately focused position

At knob value 255, output 5 amps to all cool white emitters and move motors to maximum focus position

Somebody smart could come up with equations to govern the transitions. Or, if there were few enough discrete positions of the input knob, I suppose somebody could fill out a large table that governed current output to each LED and position of the focusing motor. More than a couple hundred positions would be tedious, though. A considerable amount of trial and error would be necessary. It would be like tuning the fuel maps in a car; given the position of different sensors, adjust fuel (power to LED) accordingly.

Last edited:

ejot

Enlightened
I very much like the concept, but believe it needs a more careful treatment.

In laymans terms, 500 lumens of 6000k light may appear white, but if you turn that light down to 5 lumens, it's going to seem quite blue. The reverse is also true. 5 lumens of 3500k light may seem white, but bump that brightness up significantly and it will appear yellowish.

The Kruithof curve describes pleasing combinations of colour temperature and illuminance, so the example quoting luminous flux is not quite meaningful. At first glance, this may seem a small technicality, but it actually makes proposition altogether more complicated. Both the "intended" usage range of the various flux levels and the varying beam divergence itself will affect the illuminance observed by the user, and therefore also must be taken into account when selecting the optimal CCT at that level.

A logical extension would be an interface that allows the user to program the CCT optimization, based on the typical range they use the light at. This would also allow adjustment, to get the most pleasing light, even when the torch was used at atypical ranges for a particular flux.

And once again .... :thumbsup:

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think that using a piston, attached to the tail as a twisty, with the led mounted to the top would work like a screw, to move the led in depth of the reflector and at the same allow for brightness control. It would require a very pricisely machined reflector with steps to achieve the result though. A rotary head with various optics might work better.

copperfox

Enlightened
I very much like the concept, but believe it needs a more careful treatment.

The Kruithof curve describes pleasing combinations of colour temperature and illuminance, so the example quoting luminous flux is not quite meaningful. At first glance, this may seem a small technicality, but it actually makes proposition altogether more complicated. Both the "intended" usage range of the various flux levels and the varying beam divergence itself will affect the illuminance observed by the user, and therefore also must be taken into account when selecting the optimal CCT at that level.

A logical extension would be an interface that allows the user to program the CCT optimization, based on the typical range they use the light at. This would also allow adjustment, to get the most pleasing light, even when the torch was used at atypical ranges for a particular flux.

And once again .... :thumbsup:

I understand what you're saying. To produce a baseline program, some real world testing would probably have to be done. First we could create a "course" for a group of people to run though. This course could have objects at different distances, the purpose being to measure the lux values on those objects that most people prefer when equipped with flashlights of varying brightnesses and beam patterns. Just as an example, if we find that the participants using a "testing purposes only" 25 lumen, 12 degree beam flashlight most prefer a range of 3 meters, then we can measure the lux on that target and match it up to an acceptable range of CCTs using the Kruithof chart.

I agree that it's complicated. Even doing this kind of trial and error field testing, it's only going to allow us to program a "good for most likely uses in most circumstances" default program. I also had the idea that the flashlight could include a USB port so that the user could even load customized programs as you suggest. Good idea!

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Worthy idea and topic. I would guess (only a guess) that you will find that preceived luminance will be roughly equal close up flood to far narrow, so you will end up needing lower CCT all the time anyway. I think 1000L throw on a distant object will still be far below sunlight luminance.

Brasso, you beat me to it. I was thinking a focusing optic driven by turning the head (easy and already several hosts available) with the brightness control internally linked to the turning head.

MetalZone

Newly Enlightened
Great concept. Regarding focusing technologies, liquid lenses are coming into mainstream adoption and it could possibly be used for beam focusing of flashlights... albeit a very expensive implementation.