Need rechargable, long lasting general use

McDizzle

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

I'm looking for a long lasting/rechargeable flashlight. Hopefully with a lithium ion battery. Obviously brightness and throw is great, multiple settings would be nice too for either close or far away applications (hence the general use).

I'm looking at ~$30, unless there aren't any decent flashlights for that price. Weather proof would be good too. I need a companion for the long haul and any situation. It may be a lot to ask but there has to be something out there. As long as it is no longer than 7 inches there is no size requirement. I'll probably got something like a 123 for portable use eventually.

I posted in LED because I figured that they would last longer/be more drop and weather proof. Please correct me if I am wrong :)

Thanks!

McAllan

Enlightened
Is the $30 with or without the battery/ies and/or charger?

Else ~$30 ain't much.

Perhaps you're best off looking at KD/DX to see what they offer. A suggestion could be DX sku.23287. A drawback it can't use CR123A's so you're limited to 18650 LiIons with the delivered drop in - that's right - it can use P60 dop ins and the host itself can take one or two CR123A (or LiIons) or one 18650 LiIon.

McDizzle

Newly Enlightened
Is the $30 with or without the battery/ies and/or charger?

Else ~$30 ain't much.

Perhaps you're best off looking at KD/DX to see what they offer. A suggestion could be DX sku.23287. A drawback it can't use CR123A's so you're limited to 18650 LiIons with the delivered drop in - that's right - it can use P60 dop ins and the host itself can take one or two CR123A (or LiIons) or one 18650 LiIon.

Hmm, okay. Didn't realize they sold the batteries/chargers separate. That recommendation seems like it may be exactly what I need though.

I just googled a charger for that battery type and it seems feasible, like 5-10 bucks. And to get an extra battery down the line that doesn't seem too bad either. This could be what I was looking for :) thanks!

yatsunil

Newly Enlightened
If you're OK with the DX item offered above, another one to consider is this one from KD (SKU: S007817 ). Solarforce is quite well accepted here on the forums.

Buckley

Newly Enlightened
"I need a companion for the long haul and any situation."

Good luck with that on a $30 budget, my friend.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Heh, he makes a good point. I really like my budget lights, but I don't expect them to be around forever.

Maybe you should get a fenix E01 for 15 bucks or a fenix E20 for 35 bucks. They may not live up to some of your other requirements but they are pretty rock solid compared to anything you will get off of DX/KD.

Otherwise, my favorite budget brand is Romisen, but ITP seems to be pretty well respected too.

McDizzle

Newly Enlightened
Heh, he makes a good point. I really like my budget lights, but I don't expect them to be around forever.

Maybe you should get a fenix E01 for 15 bucks or a fenix E20 for 35 bucks. They may not live up to some of your other requirements but they are pretty rock solid compared to anything you will get off of DX/KD.

Otherwise, my favorite budget brand is Romisen, but ITP seems to be pretty well respected too.

Hmm, yea, I figured I would start at a $30 budget and see what you guys thought :grin2:. Looks like bumping it up to $50 is what may be needed. I searched for the Fenix E20 and found a review of it that included the Fenix L2D. That one is looking pretty good, and I could just buy my own rechargeable batteries too.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
If you are wanting to use Lithium-Ion batteries you need to budget for more than $50 and get yourself some decent protected cells (AW) and a good charger (e.g. PILA) rather than some $5 cheapo. You'll also need a multimeter.

For the reasons why, take a trip to the Batteries and chargers forum:

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=9

and in particular this thread:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/268837

When used with care, Li-Ion cells are an excellent and reliable power source - but they also have the potential to burn your house down or cause you serious injury. Not something to do on the cheap.