New Headlamp Advise Needed

Phantom502

Newly Enlightened
I am looking for a headlamp for around the house, car repairs and around the yard type of work. I have alot of credit at Cabela's onine and would like to purchase from there.

I want to stay with aa or aaa NiMH batteries and would like a all in one LED unit. I like lots of light not to concerned with battery time.

I am looking at the Cabela's Alaskan Guide Series which I think is a Princeton Tec Quad. Or maybe a Remix would be a better choice. Are these fairly good picks for close range flood type lights?

Is there a better option from Cabela's? I know the Surfire is nice but it takes 123 batteries. I wish Cabela's sold Zebralights.

carrot

Flashaholic
Remix and Fuel are considered pretty good choices from what I've read, although there are some concerns about a weak battery door.

EOS and Apex Pro have long been considered solid headlamps, and really you should reconsider the Saint because the full-size version can take AA batteries and is quite comfortable to wear on your head.

Gazerbeam

Newly Enlightened
Have you looked at the new 100 lumen Black Diamond Icon? I e-mailed Cabela's and they verified (in about 30 minutes) that the one their selling is the 100 lumen model. I have the older some what under driven 60 lumen model with their NRG battery pack;
it has been a good, reliable, long running, guilt free lumen, go to headlamp!
The reflector produces a tight hot spot with even usable spill, no rings. I would expect the new model to project a good beam about
80 yards. The 4 5mm led's are bright and provide good forward flood. The customer reviews are good and worth reading.

IMG_0013.jpg

Last edited:

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PT EOS is really nice. The beam is smooth on the new diffused Rebel version. The Remix also looks to be a nice headlamp as well, but I don't own one, and have only checked them out briefly at ****ssportinggoods.

If you don't mind going with a larger headlamp (3AA cells in the back) the Energizer Hardcase is on sale at buy.com right now for $20. It is really good for upclose work, because it has a diffuser that can make the beam 100% flood.