What do the rest of your guys think of McModules

geepondy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty pleased with mine. Will not outthrown the stock incandescent but a very wide, useful amount of light. Wider and much brighter then my KL1. Very white as well, similar to my everled side emitter. If you do focus the light down to it's tightest spot though, there is a dark spot in the center which goes away if you widen it slightly. On the flip side you can widen it out by a wide margin and still maintain decent beam uniformity. Build quality of the module superb, every bit as professional as any commercial product I've seen released.

I'm interested to hear users compare it to the Surefire L4/KL4. I find the Pelican M6 body to be a bit big for a two CR123 cell light and also the momentary function of the switch can be a bit flaky at times.

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Jeep, the SF Z49 clickie fits the PM6 like a glove. Optimum tight focus will be about ¾ to one turn backwards, when the dark spot (where the corners of the four dice/dies of the 5W Luxeon converge) just barely goes away and you still have a fairly tight spot.

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto what you said about the Pelican momentary switch. It's okay, but not very refined.

As far as the McModule itself--WOW!

I've been keeping it just a hair beyond that dark spot you talked about. Gives the best throw with great sidespill. At that setting, it performs a little better than my KL4 in both respects. Colorwise, it is also just a little bit better than the KL4. If you're not shining them on a white wall at the same time, them you're not going to tell the difference (at least with my lucky KL4).

Is it as good as my SNII--no, but it's not designed to be. 2 cells, not-direct drive, and smaller reflector. I can get a beam of light on the garage door nearly 10 doors down with the SNII. I can weakly illuminate tha same house with the McModule

As far as size, I too feel it's a little on the bulky side for my EDC. I can carry the KL4 with little problem, but the Pelican is longer, heavier, and bulkier. I rarely use my lights long enough to build up sufficient heat, but it is nice to know it's there in case I have to have the light on from fresh batt to dead batt. If I know I'm gonna need the light on for a while, this one will be in hand.

-Jason

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only wish it was a bit smaller with a pocket clip like my E2E, but I must say it is brighter and whiter than my L4 with better throw, but then again, my Blaster II has brighter hot spot because of the reflector in a one watt package. Then it brings me to my Spaceneedle II(second) best throw of all, but I love my Blaster VI. So having just made the definitive statement on my led lights and clarified for all how they compare to each other, well, I guess I just confused the issue more than anything. The McModule is really nice, you guys are going to love them.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
This thing performed like a charm when I took it camping. It's not like any light I've got, and save for the throw of the SureFires (the only thing that can outgun this guy), it's superior in every other way. Its light is pure white, and its spot is much more useful as compared to the fixed focus of the SFs. Plus, it's longer running than the HOLAs, and it's much more useful in a night hike than my A2 (better color), which in front of the McModule, looks sickly orange/yellow...

My only gripe is also the size of the PM6, but given that it still fits my jean pockets nicely anyways, and I usually don't use the holster anyways, it's size is not bad at all. Plus, it beats not having my hands lit on fire by the likes of my L4...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Had mine on for a 40 minute burn tonight. It gets quite toasty! Not hot enough to burn, but hot enough so that you find yourself switching hands every minute or two if you're not paying attention. It will definitely be more welcome in January than July where I live! The entire light gets hot as well, not just the head. Anyone that has an L4, how does the McM rate vs. L4 for heat on a same duration burn?

Performance-wise, it is great. The flood of white light at distance illuminated some bats flying over the road at around 50 yds, something a tight beam light is very unlikely to do.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
L4 gets hotter much quicker, and is hotter overall... Whereas I can stand holding onto the McModule after about 20 minutes on, I can't do the same thing with an L4...

MR Bulk

Flashaholic
Guys, put some thermal goop on both sets of threads -- McModule to body, head to body. Then it'll get even hotter (but thermal conductance away from the fragile Luxeon will be optimized).

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Arctic Silver and lubes like NyoGel "shouldn't" react with each other, right?

Might be a moot point, but still a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif 'ing question...

Raindrop

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
MR Bulk said:
Jeep, the SF Z49 clickie fits the PM6 like a glove. Optimum tight focus will be about ¾ to one turn backwards, when the dark spot (where the corners of the four dice/dies of the 5W Luxeon converge) just barely goes away and you still have a fairly tight spot.

[/ QUOTE ]

The default switch for PM6/ V3T McModule is the ZF49. Yesterday I dug out one of my extra 6Z switches and it makes a nice default momentary switch and gives a more compact package. On my third set of batteries in this light now and have to say this is a great "mod". My poor L4 sits in the drawer most of the time because of the McModules /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif