Build Log: '50' 4xXP-G

sosemot728

Enlightened
Many lessons have been learnt about design for manufacture. I am pleased to present my attempt at a 4xXP-G light. I have been trying to perfect a light with styling I like and at a price that is affordable (Think, $69AUD for a base kit) also, it will most likely have a flashlight battery pack option.

About 920 Lumen's @ 1A
Weight: sub ~110 Grams
Dimensions: 50mm OD x 38mm (Major Length, or 42mm overall) TINY!
Heatsink: 18 inch^2 of sink surface area. (So can handle 1.5A)
Completely sealed, double O-Ring and waterproof to at least IP67 (Omron switch)

I know this lumen range is already occupied by numerous many 'cheap' lights, all promising the world. but my hope is that the quality of this light will be significantly higher :)

Plus, like all my designs, I am taking an "Open-Source" approach. There will be no secrets, no propriety designs just an awesome light! If you ask me nicely, I will supply full engineering drawings!

It will use the most efficient of everything I could find that is readily available and in stock in large numbers.

PCB - http://www.cutter.com.au/proddetail.php?prod=cut950

Optic - Ledil GT4-XE (90% efficiency) http://www.ledil.com/datasheets/DataSheet_GT4-XP.pdf

Driver - Maxflex http://www.taskled.com/maxflex.html

Last edited:

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast
that looks like a nice and simple, yet rugged design!
those taskLED drivers are excellent.

will you be selling pre-made models?

sosemot728

Enlightened
that looks like a nice and simple, yet rugged design!
those taskLED drivers are excellent.

will you be selling pre-made models?

Most Likely! :) I wanted to downsize in cost, so I could offer this.

I built it to be strong!

Last edited:

Mettee

Enlightened
I am envious of your solid works skills every time I see your new projects. Someday I will be that good I hope :)

sosemot728

Enlightened
+1
Can you please share more information for the front part of the head where the lens/o-ring meet the housing?

What do you want to know? The Optic has a plastic ring around the outside, between the front panel and this is an o-ring. This design does not utilize a lens.

wquiles

Flashaholic
What do you want to know? The Optic has a plastic ring around the outside, between the front panel and this is an o-ring. This design does not utilize a lens.

That was it - you just answered my questions. I just could not quite tell from the image you posted, so I could not see that the optic had the ring built-in - thanks :thumbsup:

sosemot728

Enlightened
Is there any interest in this design at $69AUD for a full kit?

Everything except the LED's and Driver, these would be available as an optional extra.
LED ~$38AUD
Driver ~$35USD
Optic ~$5.45AUD (I'm looking for a cheaper source!)

Last edited:

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where do I pay my deposit? :D

I'm thinking mounting it as a secondary light on a HID spotlight. 5000 lumen primary and 900 lumen secondary should be quite impressive...

With your config, would the Maxflex driver take a 12-13V input so I could power it from the SLA onboard my spotlight?

Last edited:

sosemot728

Enlightened
I keep on having this problem every time I design a round light; There isn't a nice way to mount the damm thing!

Here is an example Delrin mounting adapter for a cateye mount. I like it, but I don't really want to drill into the case like this. Ideally some sort of clip would be better.

cyclopsed

Newly Enlightened
Is there any interest in this design at $69AUD for a full kit?

Everything except the LED's and Driver, these would be available as an optional extra.
LED ~$38AUD
Driver ~$35USD
Optic ~$5.45AUD (I'm looking for a cheaper source!)

:naughty: yep, definately amateur for it: kit, LED, driver, optics
PM me if you need a pre-participation

looking at your previous drawings, do you also have other kits (a double one) available?

aurum

Enlightened
Hmmm nice design ... everything included would be 147.45Aud$ :broke:To much for me ...
smilie_icq_46.gif