Uk 4AA vs PT Tec40

FoxMulder

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

What are your thoughts on the two. I'm trying to decide which one to get. Which one has better runtime/brightness ration?

On paper, the UK 4AA looks like the clear winner but we all know how deceptive specs can be.

Thanks

paulr

Flashaholic
I expect the runtime/brightness ratio is similar for the two lights since they use the same batteries and similar lamp technology.

The PT40 seems to be the CPF favorite. It uses standard PR-based lamps instead of proprietary lamp/reflector assemblies, and is apparently a little brighter.

The UK 4AA uses the same lamp/reflector as the UK 2L. Unless I was using the light enough to really care about operating expenses, I'd go for the much more compact 2L. I've had several of them and thought they were great.

THEluminator

Newly Enlightened
I just bought a Tec 40 no more than a week ago. I love it! Its bright, has a good beam, good throw, and is very versitle because it uses pr based bulbs so in a pinch you can use bulbs that you find at your local store. Runtime is also good...alot longer than my Legen LX plus it uses cheap batteries.

FoxMulder

Newly Enlightened
Tec40
Dimensions 6 "
Lamp Type 4 Watt PR base Halogen Lamp. 4.8v, .50a. 30 hour life
Light Output 28 lumens
Weight w/ Batteries 5.1 oz.
Run Time 3-5 Hours
Focus Type Wide

Uk 4AA
Dimensions 6.2"
Lamp Type 2.1 Watt, 4.8 volt Xenon lamp
Light Output 37.7 Lumens
Weight w/ Batteries 5.3 oz.
Run Time 4-5 Hrs.

The UK lasts about the same with about 10 more lumens? Is it noticible? It looks about the same size and weight. Hard choice...dang.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
The UK throws kind of a spot. Mine tosses a fairly tight, somewhat oval beam.

The Tec 40 throws a WALL of white light. I mean seriously, mine with a KPR103 bulb made my buddy take notice and say WOW! It isn't much less with the stock Halogen bulb, and right now mine has a M*g Xenon Star 4 cell bulb in it and is just perfect for what I want out of it!

In my experience they are NOT similar in output!

The UK is smaller, and has a REAL nice clickie switch right where a thumb wants it.

The Tec is about the same bodywise but has a relatively big head. And it is a twist the head light switch type.

Lastly, as has been said the UK uses a light module, the TEC a PR base bulb. So the TEC 40 should be quite a bit cheaper to run overall.

And THEluminator... in your must have list, you really need to add a Madmax Module from the Sandwich Shoppe for your MiniM*g... it will utterly transform that mini into a usable bright LED light!

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Tec 40 is very nice, with an output just a little less then an E2e. I run mine on rechargeables with a 3 cell M@g bulb. Very white and bright. The faceted reflector doesn't throw incredibly far, but is very good for up to about 100 feet. The beam is nice and smooth, but not quite as good as the E2e's beam.

FoxMulder

Newly Enlightened
The Sport Chalet near me carries the UK 4AA so I'll probably get that first. They carry PT but not the Tec 40. I made a request to the Department Head to get those in, hopefully he took me seriously.

ikendu

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've owned both. PT Tec40 & UK 4AA AS2 (with switch).

A lot depends on what you want but for me... no doubt!

UK 4AA AS2!

You can mod the Tec40 with different bulbs but if you don't care about that, the switch on the UK is GREAT! Plus, it is VERY compact and easy to carry in a pocket. If you use NiMH AAs...again, no doubt. The Tec40 will deform the NiMH AAs until they simply won't make good contact resulting in a flickering light that is unreliable. Seems OK with alkalines.

NightStorm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fox,

I haven't had any problems using NiMHs in my Tec40, but I haven't dropped it nor do I tighten the bezel down all the way (which puts pressure on the batteries). The non-proprietary PR based bulbs allows a person to chose a wide variety of beam patterns and outputs. Case in point, a Radio Shack XPR-103 bulb produces a very bright but narrow beam while their KPR-103 or KPR-113 produce wider but dimmer beams. I hope this helps you to reach a decision.

Dan

sotto

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmmm, UK4AA vs PT Tec40......the clear winner in my mind is the Kroehler Bright-Star 4AA with NIMH's and an overdriven 3C/D PR based krypton bulb, base-mounted clickie switch, adjustable beam, lanyard loop, waterproof, easily available replacement lamp, and eye-scorching output.

Thanks.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
sotto said:
Hmmmm, UK4AA vs PT Tec40......the clear winner in my mind is the Kroehler Bright-Star 4AA with NIMH's and an overdriven 3C/D PR based krypton bulb, base-mounted clickie switch, adjustable beam, lanyard loop, waterproof, easily available replacement lamp, and eye-scorching output.

Thanks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Excellent light but relatively big and heavy compared to the others. Size and weight are critical issures for me, especially for EDC, so my reactions may tend to be more critical than others.

Brightnorm

pec50

Enlightened
This hasn't been mentioned, but the Tec40 was also available with a smooth reflector. Although the smooth reflector results in a somewhat irregular projected beam shape, when compared to the UK4aa, it does project farther. Depending upon your needs this might affect your decision. I don't know if this is still an option but Brightguy could provide the Tec40 with either reflector.

revolvergeek

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well, as a general usage utility light I prefer the Tec40 due to its use of PR base bulbs. I have two on my bedside table at home, one with a 4 white LED bulb and one with a 4.8V 750ma Xenon bulb.

However, I used to EDC a UKE 4AA before I got into Surefires, and found it to fit in a back jeans pocket or front Dockers pocket very easily, something that a Tec40 just won't do.

FoxMulder

Newly Enlightened
Thank you all for your input so far! I got the UK 4AA, I'm going to have to find someplace to get a Tec40 before this weekend for my night hike.

So far I like it (UK4AA), it's pocketable and although about half the output of the smaller E2e the runtime makes up for it.

I like the 3+ hours of runtime, and it projects a pretty good narrow beam. Although the smooth reflector creates an uneven beam that looks like an eye, a little writerite might fix that. Overall it looks like it'll take a beating of a good rugged hike (Dropping, banging, dunking in rivers etc) so I'll see how it stacks up against the others.

JimM

Newly Enlightened
writeRIGHT resulted in a distinct improvement on my UK 4AA. I bought a UK 2AA recently and put writeRIGHT on it also. It makes a nice combo with a MiniMag 2AA/Inretech adapter(both using lithium batteries).
Jim

brightnorm

Flashaholic
The UK #480 lamp assy produces a bright, narrow, fairly well centered beam. For walking/hiking I prefer the older, less perfect wider beams. They're still generally brighter than the Tek 40 and have a longer functional burntime.

Brightnorm