The 2xC Junkbox Special

saltytri

Enlightened
4488298203_5bf1a0829e.jpg

My wife recently asked me to make a general purpose light to give to friends we will be visiting soon. A chance to make her happy with my hobbies must never be missed so I charged right out to the shop.

Rechargeables aren't too practical for the average person so I used alkalines. A 6061 tube with almost the right inside diameter was on hand and a little boring made it a perfect fit for C cells.

4488297517_83af268abf.jpg

An XR-E R2 was used along with a DX 4735 driver. This obviously isn't the latest and greatest technology but the combination gets the job done just fine. I had a Ledil Eva-D optic on hand so it was pressed into service. It does just fine with the XR-E even though it is intended for the MC-E. There is plenty of spill with a distinct hotspot and the beam seems pretty good for general use. The emitter is pulling a bit more than half an amp and puts out plenty of light for the average Happy Homeowner.

4488948412_bcc71fef5e.jpg

The electronics are assembled into a heat sink that threads into the body tube. This thing is never going to overheat!

4488944792_15b89f5e3f.jpg

4488945070_d3f3796958.jpg

4488295973_b35eb68d67.jpg

A salvaged Solarforce switch fit nicely into the tail cap and is held with a retaining ring.

4488296229_96fd6d89d5.jpg

4488296389_c98b2a91df.jpg

4488298483_efbab7574d.jpg

The glass lens is sandwiched between two o-rings.

4488946240_a7b58171b0.jpg

4488297073_84f638dfab.jpg

The finish is bare aluminum with a brushed surface done on the lathe with a magenta Scotchpad lubricated with Mother's aluminum polish.

4488297891_61f7643451.jpg

I know I've got to stop using alkalines and I'll sure tell the new owner to check regularly for leakage. :sick2:

Last edited:

rayman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: A 2xC Utility Light

That's a really great light for a non-flashaholic :thumbsup:. Really wish I too had a lathe.

rayman

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast

So, you more or less built this out of your junk pile? Wow, well that is nothing less than a piece of art and I hope the new owners appreciate it as much as the rest of us do!

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast

That is really remarkable. You should definitely keep building lights. Hell, I might even buy one of those if the price were right.

saltytri

Enlightened
Thanks for the nice comments, guys!

VegasF6, what you said about the junk pile gave me a chuckle because it's so true. In fact, the only parts I had to go out and buy for this were a couple of o-rings at the local hardware store. So I renamed it the "Junkbox Special." Thanks for the good idea!

The folks who will get this wouldn't know an SST-50 from a whatchamacallit, so I figured there's no sense in using any expensive parts. The Solarforce switch isn't a McClicky but who's gonna care? The DX driver will make a bunch of people here cringe but it was on hand and it works. I've let the light run for about 45 minutes nonstop and it kept working so it's a decent bet that it will last for a while.

As for man-hours, I hate to think. Many. I'm very slow. :shakehead

Last edited:

1 what

Enlightened
Nice one :thumbsup:
It's great to see what other people build with "spare parts".

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh boy that 2C rocks, nice work (again!). I really like the detail in your machining :twothumbs

BTW my wife was talking to your wife today (I think they went to school together?) and she said you would make another for us?......:naughty:

:rolleyes:C'mon it was worth a try.

saltytri

Enlightened
BTW my wife was talking to your wife today (I think they went to school together?) and she said you would make another for us?......:naughty:

Ah yes, Essexman, my wife does remember your wife fondly from their school days. I'm told that yours was the prettiest lass in the class but she had a frightfully geeky fiance. :crackup:

The next time good luck lands me in Old Blighty, I'll make my way to Essex and personally deliver your light!

Last edited:

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ah yes, Essexman, my wife does remember your wife fondly from their school days. I'm told that yours was the prettiest lass in the class but she had a frightfully geeky fiance. :crackup:

The next time good luck lands me in Old Blighty, I'll make my way to Essex and personally deliver your light!

Nice come back!

I'll hold you to that, and buy you a nice pint of warm beer in return.