NiteIze L.E.D. Upgrade Kit #2 LRB2-07 014961

5Sport

Enlightened
I see that there is a new led fron Nite Ize for the AA mini mags. Has anyone tried one and is it better than their old replacement LED.

What is the difference?

McAllan

Enlightened
Can't say it's any better since I haven't tried it.
But the difference is the LED. The old one used a Luxeon (I?) LED while this one... Don't know what LED it is. Looks like some 100 mA ones a local electronic parts dealer once had. Perhaps it's easier to get a better focus with that LED since it needs a shallower reflector. Or most likely it's just cheaper.
Don't think there's much difference in out put level though.

Unless you for some special reason or another want to upgrade an old Mag I believe you're better of buying another light. At least don't buy it and expect it to compete with even 1 AA lights whether it being Fenix, Quark or selected DX/KD lights.

Moonshadow

Enlightened
That is indeed the problem - although individually the bits to upgrade an old mag don't look too pricey, the results don't really justify the cost.

When you add it up, I've spent more on upgrading a pair of MiniMag AAs than the cost of a brand new EagleTac P10A.

No prizes for guessing which is the better light.

DaveG

Enlightened
I think the new single model led is a replacement or improvement for the older 3-5mm led model.I have one and it seems brighter and has more throw,than the 3-5mm flood.The cost is about the same as the older model around $8. or so.

5Sport

Enlightened
I agree, I wouldn't go out of my way to upgrade anymore AA mini mags, but like the web site claims, if it really throws 30 lumens, I might give it a spin for an old mini mag. I was hoping someone had some experience with one

shark_za

Enlightened
I got some of these to convert the last of the Mini Mags I have lying around.
It is a nice beam and does seem to be around 30 lumens on Eneloops.

The only gripe I have is that the threading of the head is on the last turn when its in focus for a tight spot.
A half turn more and the head comes off the body.

But its great and will serve as a regular use item in my house. Kids and loaner lights.