Thoughts on the RRT-3?

BeeMan458

Banned
Well, I put my order in. I'm going buy it anyways so might as well get into the pre-order que.

:D

Yesterday received from BOG a RRT-0 and RRT-1. As a noob, I've been smittened by the JetBeam line of flashlights.

My thoughts on the RRT-1 is that it's a thrower that's the equal to the M1X in distance but the M1X has a wider throw at the end of the beam; more flood. What I'm hoping for in the RRT-3, is to have more shadow filling light at the end of the beam. For me, having the shadows well filled in, at a given working distance for the chosen light, is everything. Well filled in shadows, to me, equals safety.

While waiting for the pre-order order to be filled, those who have pre-ordered or will be ordering a RRT-3, what are you expecting out of the beam?

I'm looking for seventy-five to a hundred yards with excellent shadow filling capability.

"You can run but you can't hide, from my flashlight."

:naughty:

Last edited:

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty sure there are beamshots in the RRT-3 thread by Flavio over in the marketplace.

EDIT: Now I can't find 'em..:thinking::shrug:
I coulda swore I saw beamshot comparisons between all the big JetBeams.:confused:

Last edited:

BeeMan458

Banned
Ronin28, I pre-order through Bug Out Gear (BOG).

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=219809

DaFABRICATA, some beam shots were posted but they were of the pre-production model at 3.5A as opposed to the spec'd out rate of 5A so the M1X beam falsely appears to be the equal of the RRT-3. The RRT-3 will use a single SST-50 emitter as opposed to the Cree M-CE quad emitter in the M1X. So you have no doughnut hole which I expect will create better shadow fill.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=219429

The German link below came from the CPF link above.

http://www.messerforum.net/showthread.php?t=83110

The SST-50 knocks out 1200 LED lumens and puts out ~850 torch lumens. The M1X is spec'd out at 700 LED lumens and puts out ~450 torch lumens. This, to me, will equate out to better shadow fill at the same distance of seventy-five to a hundred yards.

Yesssss!

:grin2:

Last edited:

BeeMan458

Banned
You're welcome.

The hard part is waiting for the pre-order lights to finally come in and then be delivered.

Like a kid in a car: "Are we there yet?"

:whistle:

So I figure some speculative conversation regarding preconceived expectations, to help while away the wait time, would be a good thing.

:wave:

Brian321

Enlightened
Im going to pre-order mine this wed. Im interested to see where this thread goes.

Im hoping its going to have good mixtue of throw and spill with a big hotspot at the end.

Last edited:

Steve'O

Newly Enlightened
When you talk of shadow i take it you mean the donut hole in the M1X beam ?
But the donut hole does not really effect how well you see the object you are viewing in my opinion.

By the way, your rrt-1 should out throw your m1x.

BeeMan458

Banned
When you talk of shadow....

I talk about the part of the dark the light doesn't reveal; the shadows.

By the way, your rrt-1 should out throw your m1x.

:confused:

Why's that? Side-by-side, I don't see the RRT-1 spot as being useful at the same distance the M1X is capable of. The RRT-1 has a very narrow spot with little to no useful spill.

:confused:

The RRT-1 is an amazing little light but my personal evaluation says it's no M1X. I guess that's why I put in a pre-order on the RRT-3.

:whistle:

I wanted more light (lumens) at what I call the working distances of both the RRT-1 and the M1X. My opinion, a throw ends at it's useful, shadow filling range; what ever that might be. Once the shadows stop getting filled in, my opinion, it's time for more lumens.

My understanding, light halves as you double the distance; twenty-five feet, fifty feet, a hundred feet, you have one quarter of the lumens available that you have at twenty-five feet in which to fill in the shadows. Filled in shadows equals safety; shadows equals danger.

:eek:oo:

Last edited:

BeeMan458

Banned
lonelyboy wrote:

Anyone knows the exact date of the launch??

According to Flavio over at Bug Out Gear, sometime during the middle of the month of April when the RRT-3's get in from JetBeam. Flavio's taking pre-orders.

:naughty:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/showthread.php?t=219429&page=2

Cut-n-pasted from page two of the linked thread above.

It sounds like (but do not hold me to this - and I know some of you will!
wink.gif
that they will be shipping to us on the 8th or 9th and should arrive when we reopen from vacation on the 12th.

Here's to hoping.

:twothumbs

Last edited:

uknewbie

Banned
Anyone know if the final model will look like those in the videos?

I think the selector ring should be silver like the other models. This one looks a bit, dare I say, plain.