Surefire E2D led a good police duty light? Surefire still elite?

alfred10

Newly Enlightened
http://www.surefire.com/E2DL

I currently carry the old 60 lumen E2D. I really like this new one but am worried that it will be upgraded to a better one if I buy it. How do you guys feel about this light? Is surefire as elite as it was five years ago? I am asking becuase Black Hawk tactical gear was good but now it is junk thats not even made in the US. I switched to Eagle Industries which is only slightly more expensive. Want to make sure Surefire is still top notch and worth the money. What are the chances they will upgrade the special lithium batteries that these take?

SUREFIRED

Enlightened
Surefire is still one of the top dogs, if not THE top. Well worth the money.

The CR123 battery isnt going anywhere, and I doubt they will be updated any time soon.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
If the E2D works for you then there is a good chance that the E2DL will work for you as well.

As for quality, as far as I can tell there is no difference between the SureFire I bought four years ago and the one I bought six months ago. They may have changed their focus away from incandescent lights toward more complex LED lights, but they are still built with the same standards. The lithium batteries aren't going to change any time soon.

Kato

Enlightened
The E2DL is a great utility light, but if your low light combat tactics include light-move-light techniques, the alternating high/low user interface is problematic for a combat light.

sfca

Enlightened
The E2DL is a great utility light, but if your low light combat tactics include light-move-light techniques, the alternating high/low user interface is problematic for a combat light.

Yeah, it all depends on what you're training is like. That said, the E2DL is a great light.
I sold mine :ohgeez:thought I'd move on to greener pastures.. But as soon as I can I'm going to get a new one!

Oh, and if you're going to get it now you might as well get the boxed 200 lumen version.
Can't be 100% sure it's the latest version otherwise...I'm sure there's some old stock floating around.

Here's a couple threads on the E2DL as a duty light (also includes a recommendation for a holster!)
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/253519
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/254378

Good luck on your choice!

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Like what Kato said, if your training requires a light-move-light technique, then E2DL is not for you as the 2nd click of the tailcap would land you in low mode. You might want to consider purchasing the black KX2C LED conversion head instead to use on your E2D. Single stage 120 lumens lighting.

Last edited:

WESBC

Newly Enlightened
I am regular civilian, but for my EDC light I switched from the incan E2D to LED version and I don't think I am ever going back.

carrot

Flashaholic
An alternative to the E2DL is to upgrade your existing E2D, with either the aforementioned KX2C or the Malkoff M60 or M61. You will need the VME bezel adaptor and (if you go with the M61) the lens and gasket kit. Malkoffs are considered extremely reliable and have become very popular in the LEO community.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I was going to suggest this myself.

I currently have a Tan KX2C on my McGizmo 2x123 McClicky Pak and it is great!

Single mode E2DL, minus the sharp bezel!

How do you get hold of a tan version of the KX2C? I was looking for a black one for months from my local dealer but could not find it and you have tan? Wow! Lucky you.

Possible to post a photo of it?

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
It is in this pic I posted in another thread earlier today. I will upload another soon :)

P4053408.jpg

Edit: Here is a better picture :)

P4053412.jpg

Last edited:

Praxis

Enlightened
http://www.surefire.com/E2DL

I currently carry the old 60 lumen E2D. I really like this new one but am worried that it will be upgraded to a better one if I buy it. How do you guys feel about this light? Is surefire as elite as it was five years ago? I am asking becuase Black Hawk tactical gear was good but now it is junk thats not even made in the US. I switched to Eagle Industries which is only slightly more expensive. Want to make sure Surefire is still top notch and worth the money. What are the chances they will upgrade the special lithium batteries that these take?

The E2DL is a great light and worth the money if you want to do a complete upgrade.

My significant other works as a civilian employee in a large police force in a major city. The whole force just upgraded from their older E2Ds to E2DLs. Primary reason was to save on battery costs. I keep telling her to grab a few of the discarded E2Ds for me ;)

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, as long as she's grabbing...:D

Seriously though, you may want to keep an ear to ground about auctions for old police equipment. Just in case.

-Trevor

victory

Enlightened
If you can jam a malkoff in there, do it. You'll get a lot more light and keep your simple, familiar UI

Praxis

Enlightened
Hey, as long as she's grabbing...:D

-Trevor

Oh I wish...

She said the other day there was a big pile of them on a table near her desk. Officers were coming by all day to exchange their old E2ds. She tried to convince her boss that she should get one too, but no dice. :)

hk dave

Newly Enlightened
I love my E2DL.... in a tactical situation I can see how the alternating bright to low would be an issue...

I think I'd rather have something like a C2 with a malkoff m61 as my duty light. It only turns on one way... BRIGHT.

sfca

Enlightened
Oh I wish...

She said the other day there was a big pile of them on a table near her desk. Officers were coming by all day to exchange their old E2ds. She tried to convince her boss that she should get one too, but no dice. :)

She should grab some of those old E2Ds. If they're going to get tossed out that is..

I've always been curious about the old E2D; wanted one to compare to the LED version. That said, they still run like $95 new - on eBay!!

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh I wish...

:sick2:

Not to keep whipping a dead horse, but maybe she could make inquiries as to the proposed fate of the old E2Ds?

-Trevor